Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

which appliances to take?

which appliances to take?

Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which appliances to take?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
There goes my plan to market 300 watt vibrators.
Trust you to get us from washing-machines to vibrators in 4 posts...
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:15 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried to sell everything before I moved here, but didn't have time. So a lot of stuff arrived. Ignore the scaremongering about problems - all my stuff works - everything. I wish I had kept more now.
Here are thing I have in use, some draw LOTS of power (ie a professional steam iron) some don't:

32 inch TV
DVD
VCR
PlayStation 2
3 printers
Upright vacuum cleaner
Steam iron
table lights (even before I changed the 240V bulbs in them - they were just dimmer )
Computers
HiFi (sounds pefect - no distortion)
extension cords
to name what I can off the top of my head . . .

I have two step up transformers - they cost $80 (£45) each. They power 3KW of applicances each.

If you have something you like, thats hard to replace then bring it.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops we're in the USA forum, serious answers only, what was the question?

Sorry OP
I thought UK Yankees was for serious posts?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:17 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony

They power 3KW of applicances.
Excellent
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent
3 KW is about two hair dryers.

I'd spend more than $80 USD on a high quality transformer if I wanted my stuff to survive. I'll have to look next time and see what the UK bands use for their amplifiers.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:29 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I'd spend more than $80 USD on a high quality transformer if I wanted my stuff to survive. I'll have to look next time and see what the UK bands use for their amplifiers.
The Rolling Stones Transformer should manage a few Magimix's
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Should...rical_goods%3F

Posters please chuck you ideas here.
wey hey...someone checked it out...

weren't a big list, but I couldn't think of anything worth while when I dumped it there...hmmm...

as for registries, check out US stores, doesn't matter where you live, you can update the address later for the rubbish to get posted...probably the best bet...
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony

I have two step up transformers - they cost $80 (£45) each. They power 3KW of applicances each.
problem with them, apart from being a tad costly to run, they can't be moved around all that easily, so not so much a problem for a sound system that won't move around, but a vac would be a hassle, especially while it'll be cheaper to get new, unless someone else is paying shipping.

Most small things that have a power adaptor would be easy as they are probably dual voltage and just need a new power cord or plug adaptor.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:37 am

3KW is 3000 watts, why the heck would anyone want to run more than two hair dryers, unless they had a really big head
A desktop computer will use between 200 and 300, a VCR around 80. You can go a long way with 3,000 watts, like I said unless you have a big wet head that needs drying, then I guess you might consider a bigger model

A transformer in its simplest form is two huge coils of wire sat side by side. You can spend an extra $200 if you want a pretty one, but it won't help your stuff survive. Check the plug on your UK device and you'll find a tolerance, typically 220-240V. Manufacturers expect differences in voltage, and that remote locations in the UK will have 'dirty' supplies.
Once 240V leaves the plug its up to the applicance to convert, regulate and shape the supply. Very few devices will use the 240V, they will change it to something different for use inside the device.

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:53 am

I have one in the bedroom that has the big TV, HiFi, DVD, VCR, and is also where ironing takes place (I have not seen an iron as powerful as the one I brought from England for less than $150). The other is in the office and has a couple of printers, PS2 etc hooked up. We rarely use the English vacuum any more. Its a great vacuum and was better than the US one we had, so worth pulling out the extension cord to use it. We just bought a steam carpet cleaner (mainly due to having 4 cats and two dogs) so the vacuum has been retired.

Originally Posted by Bob
problem with them, apart from being a tad costly to run, they can't be moved around all that easily, so not so much a problem for a sound system that won't move around, but a vac would be a hassle, especially while it'll be cheaper to get new, unless someone else is paying shipping.

Most small things that have a power adaptor would be easy as they are probably dual voltage and just need a new power cord or plug adaptor.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The Rolling Stones Transformer should manage a few Magimix's
or one of your 50 kW vibrators.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 3:58 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zillas
hi there, my first post but i've been reading around for a few weeks. i'm an american and he's english, and we've been here in the UK for several years. now we're moving to the US for 2-3 years.

we've got several gadgets that we're not sure what to do with. i blew up a printer when i first moved here before i learned about step down converters, and want to avoid killing equipment wherever possible.

for example, our ice cream maker (which we use a lot). it's got moving parts, so i know it would need a converter of some kind. is it expensive/complicated to get what must be a step up converter? would we be better off just selling ours here and buying one over there?

we're also getting married this summer, and alongside that fun there is the registry issue. as we don't know where we'll be living in the long term, which is more useful/versatile to have-- US or UK appliances? i'm talking about mixers, food processors, etc. don't want to treat a nice food processor as disposeable.

thanks in advance!
Rule #1

Don't waste your time or your money. Leave everything in the UK. Either sell it or store it or give it away.

Either you will stay in the US in which case you will buy new stuff anyway or you will stay here for a few years and then go back by which time your old UK stuff will be OLD.

Don't bother shipping it. Buy new, even on your credt card. The interest will be less than the shipping cost.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:20 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing to consider is damage to the goods while they float over here on a cargo ship. Some electronics are a bit finicky, and you really don't want to end up over here with a busted LCD (unless you got shipping insurance).

Generally electrical goods are cheaper over here, especially at the lower end (hair dryer, tin opener, etc).

If you have something worth selling, you migth try that before you leave. If just a short trip (1-2 years) you might just put it in storage or loan it to your folks or something.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are unusually attached to your applicances, it hardly seems worth the bother to bring them over. Small electrics are plentiful and inexpensive in the USA. Don't forget you could have trouble getting parts or service for Euro-spec gear over here.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Rule #1

Don't waste your time or your money. Leave everything in the UK. Either sell it or store it or give it away.

Either you will stay in the US in which case you will buy new stuff anyway or you will stay here for a few years and then go back by which time your old UK stuff will be OLD.

Don't bother shipping it. Buy new, even on your credt card. The interest will be less than the shipping cost.
You forgot to mention you're a salesman at Sears, Terry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.