British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   which appliances to take? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/appliances-take-434156/)

zillas Mar 12th 2007 8:43 pm

which appliances to take?

hi there, my first post but i've been reading around for a few weeks. i'm an american and he's english, and we've been here in the UK for several years. now we're moving to the US for 2-3 years.

we've got several gadgets that we're not sure what to do with. i blew up a printer when i first moved here before i learned about step down converters, and want to avoid killing equipment wherever possible.

for example, our ice cream maker (which we use a lot). it's got moving parts, so i know it would need a converter of some kind. is it expensive/complicated to get what must be a step up converter? would we be better off just selling ours here and buying one over there?

we're also getting married this summer, and alongside that fun there is the registry issue. as we don't know where we'll be living in the long term, which is more useful/versatile to have-- US or UK appliances? i'm talking about mixers, food processors, etc. don't want to treat a nice food processor as disposeable.

thanks in advance!

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2007 8:49 pm

Re: which appliances to take?

Originally Posted by zillas (Post 4510942)
hi there, my first post but i've been reading around for a few weeks. i'm an american and he's english, and we've been here in the UK for several years. now we're moving to the US for 2-3 years.

we've got several gadgets that we're not sure what to do with. i blew up a printer when i first moved here before i learned about step down converters, and want to avoid killing equipment wherever possible.

for example, our ice cream maker (which we use a lot). it's got moving parts, so i know it would need a converter of some kind. is it expensive/complicated to get what must be a step up converter? would we be better off just selling ours here and buying one over there?

we're also getting married this summer, and alongside that fun there is the registry issue. as we don't know where we'll be living in the long term, which is more useful/versatile to have-- US or UK appliances? i'm talking about mixers, food processors, etc. don't want to treat a nice food processor as disposeable.

thanks in advance!

Unless it has dual voltage forget about it. Try using the search function at the top of the page as this subject has been covered many times...even last week.

snowbunny Mar 12th 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4510975)
Unless it has dual voltage forget about it. Try using the search function at the top of the page as this subject has been covered many times...even last week.

Anything with a motor -> problems. Anything high wattage -> problems.

fatbrit Mar 12th 2007 8:59 pm

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Should...rical_goods%3F

Posters please chuck you ideas here.

TruBrit Mar 12th 2007 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 4511019)
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Should...rical_goods%3F

Posters please chuck you ideas here.

good idea tks, i keep forgetting to add to it ;)

gruffbrown Mar 12th 2007 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 4511010)
Anything with a motor -> problems. Anything high wattage -> problems.

There goes my plan to market 300 watt vibrators.

DollyLlama Mar 12th 2007 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4511058)
There goes my plan to market 300 watt vibrators.

Just 300 watt.........:o

TruBrit Mar 12th 2007 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 4511063)

my thoughts entirely dolly :o

DollyLlama Mar 12th 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4511067)
my thoughts entirely dolly :o

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gruffbrown Mar 12th 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 4511063)

There's a 50 Kilowatt version, but we've had a problem with the streetlights dimming everytime you use it.

DollyLlama Mar 12th 2007 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4511078)
There's a 50 Kilowatt version, but we've had a problem with the streetlights dimming everytime you use it.

:rofl: :rofl:

TruBrit Mar 12th 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4511078)

sod the streetlights :lol:

DollyLlama Mar 12th 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4511082)
sod the streetlights :lol:

:rofl: :rofl:

anotherlimey Mar 12th 2007 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by zillas (Post 4510942)
it's got moving parts, so i know it would need a converter of some kind.

:rofl:

gruffbrown Mar 12th 2007 9:14 pm

Ooops we're in the USA forum, serious answers only, what was the question?

Sorry OP :)