Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Appliances installation.

Appliances installation.

Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appliances installation.

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean View Post
Home depot has a kit for cleaning the exhaust duct pipe, each kit has 8ft of rods and a brush that fits in a drill chuck (aproximately $20). I bought two kits to cover the 15ft to the top of vent pipe on the roof. Combined with a shop-vac seems to have done a good job.
Yeah, I've got that too - works well. Slight problem after doing it this spring though, in that it wouldn't vent at all. Couldn't work out why - thought I must have broken one of the joints on the vent pipe inside the wall, so started removing strategically placed rectangles of drywall from where I thought the problem was. All the pipe looked solid, so very confused. Eventually found 2 screw heads which didn't seem to do anything, and realised there was some sort of in-pipe valve very close to a series of right/left/right bends that had I'd somehow managed to jam closed. Went back to HD and bought an extra set of extension rods so I could pass them all the way through instead of in and out from both ends. A bit of jimmying and all was well again. Now my rods have a "do not pass" tape marked on them that will keep them a few inches shy of the valve from each end. And my walls have a couple of not quite invisible mends in the drywall....
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
That's it. The brass nut attaches into the back of the fridge, and you have Ice and filtered water for ever

You dont need to buy the connector the Lowes guy told you about.

edit to add - Somewhere behind that wall is the stop tap to turn the water on! In my last place it was under the sink in the spare bathroom. It should be fairly obvious.
I think right under the connector seemed to me there was a lever. I am sure it was on/off.

I also walked past where the washer will be. There surely also was the aluminum duct or whatever it's called.

Still confused about power cord. I would have thought paying 650 bucks would come with power cord!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only View Post
I think right under the connector seemed to me there was a lever. I am sure it was on/off.

I also walked past where the washer will be. There surely also was the aluminum duct or whatever it's called.

Still confused about power cord. I would have thought paying 650 bucks would come with power cord!
I think the power cord is supplied with the appliance but the 220v connectors can be different and suspect that is what they are charging you for or maybe the different 220v connectors are already attached to power cords so they charge you for the cord and connector and they just attach the cord to the unit.

The appliance manufacturers don't know what type of connector you have so they don't supply the connectors and probably refuse to pay retail price that the store charges since they could get them and attach them for 1/4 of that price if they were all standard.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 30th 2012 at 7:23 am.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:29 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Yorkie, this shop is in the west Galleria area (corner of Hillcroft and Harwin) and I go there for all my adapter and 220-volt stuff: http://www.eastwestintl.com/220_volt...lectronics.htm I don't know if that will help you, but they have, or can get, anything.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:56 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Could be. That would be easiest scenario.

Yep. You just need a short length to connect the dryer to that duct....

No. Dryer will need a "high power" cord. The wall socket will be different from the regular sockets. The cord is easily attached to the machine - Buy the cord with the plug that matches your socket.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:26 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell View Post
Yorkie, this shop is in the west Galleria area (corner of Hillcroft and Harwin) and I go there for all my adapter and 220-volt stuff: http://www.eastwestintl.com/220_volt...lectronics.htm I don't know if that will help you, but they have, or can get, anything.
Thanks for that - not seen that place. Think I'm sorted for now though - I have 220/240v outlets in garage and laundry, and I had the builder run an extra one to the entertainment center for my UK voltage Bose. That one is now redundant as the stereo finally died last month . I've also got a couple of pretty scary old transformers that first saw service on the running lights on Noahs Ark....
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:51 pm

The other place you may get adapters on the cheap is at an R/V store. I picked up a male to female 50amp adapter with built in GFCI for 9.99 at Holiday World - Home Depot equivalent was almost 30 bucks.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
The other place you may get adapters on the cheap is at an R/V store. I picked up a male to female 50amp adapter with built in GFCI for 9.99 at Holiday World - Home Depot equivalent was almost 30 bucks.
Washer

http://www.lowes.com/pd_407168-149-WF363BTBEUF_4294857975__?productId=4009949&Ns=p_pr oduct_price|0

In the specifications it says Power Cord and Fill and Hoses included YES
I dont see anywhere the mention to Washing Machine connector. So I guess I have to buy it?

Dryer

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Power Cord and Venting Sold Separately. So I would need it for Dyer?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:51 pm

Washer

http://www.lowes.com/pd_407168-149-WF363BTBEUF_4294857975__?productId=4009949&Ns=p_pr oduct_price|0

In the specifications it says Power Cord and Fill and Hoses included YES
I dont see anywhere the mention to Washing Machine connector. So I guess I have to buy it?

Dryer

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Power Cord and Venting Sold Separately. So I would need it for Dyer?
On the washer, if it says its included I wouldn't have expected to need to buy it. Not sure what other connector there can be other than power and fill/drain hoses. Ours came with the grey rubber fill hoses, and I replaced them with the burst-free stainless steel mesh covered ones (at my own cost).

On the Dryer it says "Power Cord and Venting Sold Separately - No" To me that implies its included (ie not sold seperately), but could be a mistake or ambiguous.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask the store. Or buy all the hoses you think you may need before delivery, keep the receipt and return them if you dont need them.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
On the washer, if it says its included I wouldn't have expected to need to buy it. Not sure what other connector there can be other than power and fill/drain hoses. Ours came with the grey rubber fill hoses, and I replaced them with the burst-free stainless steel mesh covered ones (at my own cost).

On the Dryer it says "Power Cord and Venting Sold Separately - No" To me that implies its included (ie not sold seperately), but could be a mistake or ambiguous.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask the store. Or buy all the hoses you think you may need before delivery, keep the receipt and return them if you dont need them.
Ah double negative. I will go buy it and return. Thanks.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 12:57 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The installation manual for that dryer says the power cord is included for the gas models, not included in the US for the electric models. It can be permanently wired, or connected with the separately sold power cord.

The two times I've bought these things, I just let the shop installer come with his bag of stuff, and just bought the parts that were needed - which is often less than what they quote you at the cash register, where they assume you own nothing usable.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:12 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell View Post
I've been in there, but wasn't overly impressed by the physical quality of the transformers. The returns policy sucked too.

If I ever need another one I will be going to this website after a lot of good recommendations by people I know:

http://www.world-import.com

An option to consider.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

So the fridge and the washer turned up. And we didn't have to buy a thing all good running! Thx guys.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:55 pm

So the fridge and the washer turned up. And we didn't have to buy a thing all good running! Thx guys.
Good job...so now you can have a nice cold ice cold beer while you're doing the laundry
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:20 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
I've been in there, but wasn't overly impressed by the physical quality of the transformers. The returns policy sucked too.

If I ever need another one I will be going to this website after a lot of good recommendations by people I know:

http://www.world-import.com

An option to consider.
Sure, sounds good, on the occasions I don't find out I need fifteen computer adapters for a training room the day before I fly overseas Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.