British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Appliances installation. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/appliances-installation-779104/)

Nutek Nov 29th 2012 11:22 am

Re: Appliances installation.

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10407473)
Up until the last mover's pack I requested, the envelope contained an actual card coupon to use in the store. I have successfully used a number of these at Home Depot (closer to my home) as they will accept competitor coupons.

The latest mover's pack I obtained however had a flyer with a code on it to use at Lowes website for them to e-mail me a coupon. It says that the coupon can only be used once (it has a bar code on it). I am assuming though that Home Depot's systems can't read/log bar codes from Lowes coupons, which means that they don't apply such a restriction themselves on number of uses.

The other troubling thing is that Lowes can presumably track how many 10% coupons you are applying for over time (and restrict this). If you happened to change your e-mail address over time though (which people tend to do) then this might not be an issue.

Yeah... I went with the online one as the Post Office packs around here no longer contain the coupon.
It is a one-shot deal, as you say, so it is important to use it when making a large purchase in order to get most benefit.

Not sure how restrictive they will be. When you sign up you give a "moving date estimate". I have "moved" 3 times :p

Two other benefits you can get from them... 5% on all purchases if made on a "Lowes Card" and 6 months interest free credit on purchases over a certain amount (not sure of the figure). It says you cannot combine offers, but I got the 10% coupon and the 6 months interest free with no effort on my part.
I would imagine that Home Depot offer a similar scheme.

Nutek Nov 29th 2012 11:26 am

I should also add (can't believe this hasn't already come up really), that Lowes sell Sprouts.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_359192-30348...ductId=3611900

Yorkieabroad Nov 29th 2012 1:32 pm

Burpee?

Might have to give those a try, cos the HEB ones have a totally different effect....

Yorkieabroad Nov 29th 2012 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 10406684)
. We bought the applicances from Lowes and the sales guy said I have to have the accessories brand new otherwise they won't install due to some safety liability issues. Following are the items
- Ice maker connector $13
- Washing machine connector $20
- Power Cord $20
- Some aluminium thingi (i believe dryer exhust?)) $11
- Safety gribs $5

Yeah, we had that as well. When we got the new washer/dryer/fridge at home I did them myself, and I did put new new pipes/connectors on everything (apart from the drier outlet slinky pipe thingy) and it was very straightforward - only tool needed was a spanner/wrench. Just make sure you check for leaks on the gas line before you use it, and don't "kink" the metal pipe. As someone else mentioned, make sure you change the water hoses at the recommended intervals (speaking from soggy footed experience!!). The burstproof pipes are worth investing in.

When we replace appliances on our rentals, I always have the supplier install them, in the (probably incorrect) belief that I'll be able to divert liability for any subsequent leaks/shocks/explosions! They always insist on using new equipment/connectors. I think thats just standard.

Out of interest, what required a power cord? I thought appliances were sold with those already fitted?

tonrob Nov 29th 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10407491)
Yeah... I went with the online one as the Post Office packs around here no longer contain the coupon.
It is a one-shot deal, as you say, so it is important to use it when making a large purchase in order to get most benefit.

Not sure how restrictive they will be. When you sign up you give a "moving date estimate". I have "moved" 3 times :p

Two other benefits you can get from them... 5% on all purchases if made on a "Lowes Card" and 6 months interest free credit on purchases over a certain amount (not sure of the figure). It says you cannot combine offers, but I got the 10% coupon and the 6 months interest free with no effort on my part.
I would imagine that Home Depot offer a similar scheme.

One shot unless you use a different e-mail and physical address. :sneaky:

I wouldn't want to waste a credit pull on a Lowes (or any other retailer) card. I save my credit pulls for bigger benefits (travel-related cards) and get a discount better than 5% by buying gift cards online for that retailer (as per my earlier post).

Sheepdip Nov 29th 2012 1:52 pm

Be careful on the type of dryer exhaust pipe. Ours was installed by the people we bought from (can't remember if it was Lowes or Best Buy) with a flexible pipe (supplied by them) which ended up being part of a class action lawsuit as the dryer stated it had to be a rigid pipe.

Yorkieabroad Nov 29th 2012 2:15 pm

Yeah, I think most of the dryers say that now as the flexy hoses collect the lint more easily and can cause fires. Worth getting the vent pipes cleaned regularly as well, as the in-machine filters still let a lot of stuff through.

Bluegrass Lass Nov 29th 2012 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10407712)
Out of interest, what required a power cord? I thought appliances were sold with those already fitted?

We've had to buy power cords for a dryer a couple of times because there are different types of outlets for dryers - some are 3-prong, some are 4-prong..and I think there are 2 different types of 4-prong. Hubby has put them on himself and we've not had an issue....yet.

Yorkieabroad Nov 29th 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10407825)
We've had to buy power cords for a dryer a couple of times because there are different types of outlets for dryers - some are 3-prong, some are 4-prong..and I think there are 2 different types of 4-prong. Hubby has put them on himself and we've not had an issue....yet.

Ha,I never knew that - ours is gas, with a standard 110v power line to handle the control panel. That nice 240v line in the laundry now looks after my UK power tools!

E3only Nov 29th 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10407473)
Up until the last mover's pack I requested, the envelope contained an actual card coupon to use in the store. I have successfully used a number of these at Home Depot (closer to my home) as they will accept competitor coupons.

The latest mover's pack I obtained however had a flyer with a code on it to use at Lowes website for them to e-mail me a coupon. It says that the coupon can only be used once (it has a bar code on it). I am assuming though that Home Depot's systems can't read/log bar codes from Lowes coupons, which means that they don't apply such a restriction themselves on number of uses.

The other troubling thing is that Lowes can presumably track how many 10% coupons you are applying for over time (and restrict this). If you happened to change your e-mail address over time though (which people tend to do) then this might not be an issue.

That is right. no more lowes coupons. However when i updated my address on USPS for mail forward, I did get 10% Lowes coupon.

At the moment this is how I am doing it.
10% Coupon
5% Cash back from Discover
5% Additional ShopDiscover cash back
20% off

E3only Nov 29th 2012 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10407712)
Yeah, we had that as well. When we got the new washer/dryer/fridge at home I did them myself, and I did put new new pipes/connectors on everything (apart from the drier outlet slinky pipe thingy) and it was very straightforward - only tool needed was a spanner/wrench. Just make sure you check for leaks on the gas line before you use it, and don't "kink" the metal pipe. As someone else mentioned, make sure you change the water hoses at the recommended intervals (speaking from soggy footed experience!!). The burstproof pipes are worth investing in.

When we replace appliances on our rentals, I always have the supplier install them, in the (probably incorrect) belief that I'll be able to divert liability for any subsequent leaks/shocks/explosions! They always insist on using new equipment/connectors. I think thats just standard.

I am not sure of the inclusions. I bought the unit online and went to the store to check on delivery. At that point in time the sales guy said I may need the cord

AZ_Alba Nov 29th 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10407770)
Yeah, I think most of the dryers say that now as the flexy hoses collect the lint more easily and can cause fires. Worth getting the vent pipes cleaned regularly as well, as the in-machine filters still let a lot of stuff through.

Home depot has a kit for cleaning the exhaust duct pipe, each kit has 8ft of rods and a brush that fits in a drill chuck (aproximately $20). I bought two kits to cover the 15ft to the top of vent pipe on the roof. Combined with a shop-vac seems to have done a good job.

Sheepdip Nov 30th 2012 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean (Post 10408603)
Home depot has a kit for cleaning the exhaust duct pipe, each kit has 8ft of rods and a brush that fits in a drill chuck (aproximately $20). I bought two kits to cover the 15ft to the top of vent pipe on the roof. Combined with a shop-vac seems to have done a good job.

Will check that out! :)

E3only Nov 30th 2012 2:35 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10406769)
Honestly, if you are even slightly handy, ie can wire a plug, you can do it all yourself. Hence, to save money buy online, and the parts come a week later. Not that its expensive anyway.

My concern is, if the ice feed is not there already, you have to find a cold water pipe to attach to, which might mean making holes in walls etc. ( The fridge/freezer will work fine without the ice connected).

Dryer vents I have done are a PITA because you have to work behind the machine, inside the space it goes in, but the connecton itself is easy.

I am assuming your house has places where these appliances used to be? What about a cooker?

This is the ice feed?

RICH Nov 30th 2012 2:51 am

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 10408830)
This is the ice feed?

That's it. The brass nut attaches into the back of the fridge, and you have Ice and filtered water for ever:)

You dont need to buy the connector the Lowes guy told you about.

edit to add - Somewhere behind that wall is the stop tap to turn the water on! In my last place it was under the sink in the spare bathroom. It should be fairly obvious.