British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Appliances installation. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/appliances-installation-779104/)

E3only Nov 29th 2012 12:45 am

Appliances installation.
 
Hello -

I apologize I ahve not done too much research on this.

Our washer/dryer/fridge is getting delivered this weekend. the delivery guy will install for free but I am told the boxes dont come with some items that they will need in order to install. We bought the applicances from Lowes and the sales guy said I have to have the accessories brand new otherwise they won't install due to some safety liability issues. Following are the items
- Ice maker connector $13
- Washing machine connector $20
- Power Cord $20
- Some aluminium thingi (i believe dryer exhust?)) $11
- Safety gribs $5

All these are Lowes prices. I know may be theyy are not much but are there any places I can get them for cheaper?

Thanks!

AdobePinon Nov 29th 2012 1:11 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 
Probably won't find them elsewhere cheap enough to offset the hassle of making sure you have the right parts.

RICH Nov 29th 2012 1:19 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 
Ice maker connector likely already exists in the house (cold water feed- just screws into the back of the fridge)
W/M connector - 2 flexi pipes and maybe the drain hose also just screw on.
Power cable (for dryer?) and vent - figure out where the outlets are for length. (vent might already exist.)
Don't know what the safety things are though!
They are all pretty standard/generic parts, try amazon/ebay for cheaper.

I had a fridge from Sears - they connected the existing ice feed no questions, but if there is no existing feed, they would have to connect to a water suppy. The thing wraps around a pipe and you tighten it till it pierces it. I'm not convinced a delivery guy would do that for you!

E3only Nov 29th 2012 1:31 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10406718)
Ice maker connector likely already exists in the house (cold water feed- just screws into the back of the fridge)
W/M connector - 2 flexi pipes and maybe the drain hose also just screw on.
Power cable (for dryer?) and vent - figure out where the outlets are for length. (vent might already exist.)
Don't know what the safety things are though!
They are all pretty standard/generic parts, try amazon/ebay for cheaper.

I had a fridge from Sears - they connected the existing ice feed no questions, but if there is no existing feed, they would have to connect to a water suppy. The thing wraps around a pipe and you tighten it till it pierces it. I'm not convinced a delivery guy would do that for you!

Thanks. Seems like if some things are there then install is pretty straight forward?

tonrob Nov 29th 2012 2:16 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 
Go to the post office and ask for a free mover's pack. Round here they contain a 10% off Lowes coupon.

Cardpool sells Lowes gift cards at 6% off face value.

Navigate to Cardpool via TopCashBack for another 2% cashback.

That's 18% off everything at Lowe's right there.

RICH Nov 29th 2012 2:19 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 10406727)
Thanks. Seems like if some things are there then install is pretty straight forward?

Honestly, if you are even slightly handy, ie can wire a plug, you can do it all yourself. Hence, to save money buy online, and the parts come a week later. Not that its expensive anyway.

My concern is, if the ice feed is not there already, you have to find a cold water pipe to attach to, which might mean making holes in walls etc. ( The fridge/freezer will work fine without the ice connected).

Dryer vents I have done are a PITA because you have to work behind the machine, inside the space it goes in, but the connecton itself is easy.

I am assuming your house has places where these appliances used to be? What about a cooker?

E3only Nov 29th 2012 4:58 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10406769)
Honestly, if you are even slightly handy, ie can wire a plug, you can do it all yourself. Hence, to save money buy online, and the parts come a week later. Not that its expensive anyway.

My concern is, if the ice feed is not there already, you have to find a cold water pipe to attach to, which might mean making holes in walls etc. ( The fridge/freezer will work fine without the ice connected).

Dryer vents I have done are a PITA because you have to work behind the machine, inside the space it goes in, but the connecton itself is easy.

I am assuming your house has places where these appliances used to be? What about a cooker?

It's a 1977 house. I am sure it has All places and connections ?

E3only Nov 29th 2012 5:07 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10406764)
Go to the post office and ask for a free mover's pack. Round here they contain a 10% off Lowes coupon.

Cardpool sells Lowes gift cards at 6% off face value.

Navigate to Cardpool via TopCashBack for another 2% cashback.

That's 18% off everything at Lowe's right there.

Thx.

How do I get 2% ?

Michael Nov 29th 2012 5:54 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 
If all if those type appliances were previously installed in the home, you shouldn't have any problems except possibly for the water line coming out of the wall for the refrigerator since previously (within the last 10-20 years) only top line refrigerators had ice makers and water dispensers and older houses may not have had that water outlet installed. Even today, low end refrigerators don't have ice makers and water dispensers.

AZ_Alba Nov 29th 2012 6:30 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 10406684)
Hello -

I apologize I ahve not done too much research on this.

Our washer/dryer/fridge is getting delivered this weekend. the delivery guy will install for free but I am told the boxes dont come with some items that they will need in order to install. We bought the applicances from Lowes and the sales guy said I have to have the accessories brand new otherwise they won't install due to some safety liability issues. Following are the items
- Ice maker connector $13
- Washing machine connector $20
- Power Cord $20
- Some aluminium thingi (i believe dryer exhust?)) $11
- Safety gribs $5

All these are Lowes prices. I know may be theyy are not much but are there any places I can get them for cheaper?

Thanks!

Make sure the washing machine lines are burst proof and find out how often they recommend replacing they.

AdobePinon Nov 29th 2012 6:42 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 10406972)
It's a 1977 house. I am sure it has All places and connections ?

You did add a '?'. The drier is usually where you get burned - they can be 120V, 240v, or gas + 120V. Connections may or may not be straightforward.

Michael Nov 29th 2012 7:06 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 
Also the depth of the dishwashers can vary. In my last place, I replaced my Whirlpool dishwasher with a KitchenAid washer only to find out that was about 1" deeper. I had to remove a 3/4" brace between the back wall and open frame (luckily the frame didn't move) to fit the KitchenAid washer in to the hole and even then the KitchenAid was about 1/4" too deep so it wasn't a perfect fit.

tonrob Nov 29th 2012 10:46 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 10406985)
Thx.

How do I get 2% ?

Go to TopCashBack and create an account.

Search on their site for the site you want to buy from (in this case, Cardpool), click the link to get to Cardpool and do your shopping. Later check back with TopCashBack and you should see a credit for this.

Cashback portals can be a bit finnicky and not 100% reliable. I use them a lot and everything works well most times but sometimes it does not. I try to help things by clearing cookies etc. before starting the shopping process, and then taking and keeping screenshots as I go.

There are other gift card sellers out there. Gift Card Granny is a good search engine for this. There are other cashback portals out there. EVReward does a reasonable job of keeping on top of what's offered.

Nutek Nov 29th 2012 11:47 am

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10406764)
Go to the post office and ask for a free mover's pack. Round here they contain a 10% off Lowes coupon.

Cardpool sells Lowes gift cards at 6% off face value.

Navigate to Cardpool via TopCashBack for another 2% cashback.

That's 18% off everything at Lowe's right there.

Good tip.

The Lowes Movers Coupon is available online as well... 10% for a maximum of $5000.00 spent. I have used this myself.. Saved around $350.00 buying materials for my new front porch decking.

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Lowes+Moving...moving-_-l-_-l

tonrob Nov 29th 2012 12:06 pm

Re: Appliances installation.
 

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10407457)
Good tip.

The Lowes Movers Coupon is available online as well... 10% for a maximum of $5000.00 spent. I have used this myself.. Saved around $350.00 buying materials for my new front porch decking.

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Lowes+Moving...moving-_-l-_-l

Up until the last mover's pack I requested, the envelope contained an actual card coupon to use in the store. I have successfully used a number of these at Home Depot (closer to my home) as they will accept competitor coupons.

The latest mover's pack I obtained however had a flyer with a code on it to use at Lowes website for them to e-mail me a coupon. It says that the coupon can only be used once (it has a bar code on it). I am assuming though that Home Depot's systems can't read/log bar codes from Lowes coupons, which means that they don't apply such a restriction themselves on number of uses.

The other troubling thing is that Lowes can presumably track how many 10% coupons you are applying for over time (and restrict this). If you happened to change your e-mail address over time though (which people tend to do) then this might not be an issue.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:35 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.