Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Appliances...

Appliances...

Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Appliances...

Hi there..

So we are in the market to buy a wahser, dryer and refrigerator.

For Washer and Dryer : After searching and researching we have come up with two brands LG and Samsung

http://www.lowes.com/Black-Friday-Deals-on-Blue-Samsung-Front-Load-Laundry/_/N-1z0y3rq/pl?cm_sp=Appliances-_-Laundry|CenterRail-_-Spcl_Value|BF_SM_3SERIES_Pair

3.6 Washer and 7.3 Electric Dryer

OR
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ryId=202988392

We have no idea about refrigerators but need something under 1500 (including tax if possible) and at least 25 cu feet. Something like http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-...kuId=202603113

In terms of where I would like to buy? I have 10% moving coupon with Lowes. Nothing from Home Depot..

Anyone can provide any insight on how to decide the brand? Samsung vs. LG...Anything else I can read up like consumer reports?

Appreciate your help.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:01 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appliances...

I can't help with Samsung but I had an LG washer and dryer at the first place I lived at when I was here (front loaders) and was so happy with them I went and bought the same model when I moved into a house. 2 years later, still really happy with them.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Consumer Reports is my recommendation. Your prioities may be different from theirs for ranking competing models, but they give you the information you need to make your own decision based on what features are important to you.

Consumer Reports also provides information, based on consumer surveys, about where to buy.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by E3only
Anyone can provide any insight on how to decide the brand? Samsung vs. LG...Anything else I can read up like consumer reports?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I can't help with Samsung but I had an LG washer and dryer at the first place I lived at when I was here (front loaders) and was so happy with them I went and bought the same model when I moved into a house. 2 years later, still really happy with them.
Thanks. I am checking water consumption, engery ratings and stuff. Both brands are good.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Consumer Reports is my recommendation. Your prioities may be different from theirs for ranking competing models, but they give you the information you need to make your own decision based on what features are important to you.

Consumer Reports also provides information, based on consumer surveys, about where to buy.

Regards, JEff
Where can I read up URL?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:15 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there..

So we are in the market to buy a wahser, dryer and refrigerator.

For Washer and Dryer : After searching and researching we have come up with two brands LG and Samsung

http://www.lowes.com/Black-Friday-Deals-on-Blue-Samsung-Front-Load-Laundry/_/N-1z0y3rq/pl?cm_sp=Appliances-_-Laundry|CenterRail-_-Spcl_Value|BF_SM_3SERIES_Pair

3.6 Washer and 7.3 Electric Dryer

OR
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ryId=202988392

We have no idea about refrigerators but need something under 1500 (including tax if possible) and at least 25 cu feet. Something like http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-...kuId=202603113

In terms of where I would like to buy? I have 10% moving coupon with Lowes. Nothing from Home Depot..

Appreciate your help.
We bought LG ones a couple of years ago in the Black Friday sale, they have been great. We got a good deal on them from Best Buy

Unfortunately they are now sat wrapped up in my garage, as it was too much hassle to swap the ones in the rental out and replace them with these, as the laundry room is upstairs
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:27 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I am checking water consumption, engery ratings and stuff. Both brands are good.
Ours gets used a lot (14 month old! ) and has performed very well indeed, can't recommend it highly enough.

I wish we had a french door fridge/freezer where the freezer is below and the full width and the fridge is the entire top section. The narrow freezer is a little limiting in its use IMO.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.google.com

Regards, JEff

Where can I read up URL?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bink
Ours gets used a lot (14 month old! ) and has performed very well indeed, can't recommend it highly enough.

I wish we had a french door fridge/freezer where the freezer is below and the full width and the fridge is the entire top section. The narrow freezer is a little limiting in its use IMO.
exactly what we thought.

On the washer and dryer - what are the sizes?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by N1cky
We bought LG ones a couple of years ago in the Black Friday sale, they have been great. We got a good deal on them from Best Buy

Unfortunately they are now sat wrapped up in my garage, as it was too much hassle to swap the ones in the rental out and replace them with these, as the laundry room is upstairs
LG / Samsung - almost dead heat. So I think it gets down to 'deal'
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Samsung washer and drier. Different model I think but they do sing a lovely little tune when they are done.

Found the model Samsung wf330anw it's 4.3 cu.ft. the matching drier is 7.3.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Nov 21st 2012 at 2:12 am. Reason: looked up model number
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:24 am
Rootbeeraholic

exactly what we thought.

On the washer and dryer - what are the sizes?
Our fridge/freezer was thrown in by the builder for free so I can't really complain but I wish the freezer was drawer based.

The washer is 3.7 and the dryer 7.3 cu ft
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:09 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a Korean washer/drier too, but can't remember if its LG or Samsung. They are the Fromm or Tromm steamwasher models with huge capacity....almost like launderette size. Work great and seem to be very economical on water and power.

We just traded the old side by side fridge freezer (which I loathed with a vengeance) for a French door Samsung which I love. A lot more convenient and I think we have less waste as you can actually see and get to what is in there.

Only criticism I have of either is the operating manuals are next to useless.

Interesting that we have been here 10 years and are on our second set of washer/drier/fridge but the zanussi fridgefreezer and electrolux washer I bought in 1985 in the UK are still going strong.....they dnt make em like they used to!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We've got a Korean washer/drier too, but can't remember if its LG or Samsung. They are the Fromm or Tromm steamwasher models with huge capacity....almost like launderette size. Work great and seem to be very economical on water and power.

We just traded the old side by side fridge freezer (which I loathed with a vengeance) for a French door Samsung which I love. A lot more convenient and I think we have less waste as you can actually see and get to what is in there.

Only criticism I have of either is the operating manuals are next to useless.

Interesting that we have been here 10 years and are on our second set of washer/drier/fridge but the zanussi fridgefreezer and electrolux washer I bought in 1985 in the UK are still going strong.....they dnt make em like they used to!
Thanks and Old is gold?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had an LG washer and dryer for about 2 years now - they work fine and I have not had any problems with them.

When I bought them I looked at a couple of places including Home Depot and Best Buy, but ended up buying them online from Sears because their prices were close to the others and they had much better delivery times (2 days as opposed to Best Buy's "2 or 3 weeks for the washer and 'don't know' for the dryer").

Refrigerators/freezers are all much the same - you just decide how big you want them, what kind of interior fittings you want and what you want the outside to look like and you are done. I have a fairly basic GE model which I got from Home Depot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.