Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Apple ipod Shuffle

Apple ipod Shuffle

Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apple ipod Shuffle

Originally Posted by dbj1000

There's a reason why the iPod out-sells all other MP3 players - the quality of the design and the iTunes software...
it's marketing...if you wanted quality, you'd get iRiver...much better all round.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think the new Creative products come with a music manager program that transfers music directly to the player. Did you get that software with your's?
they do, but the software is crap, it works a bit like windows media player 10, so don't bother with it, I don't, I use media player to sync up playlists if I don't just drag and drop the files.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:12 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

So, just to be clear:

If I buy an Ipod I'm not limited to only downloading tunes at a cost from the itunes website?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:24 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
they do, but the software is crap, it works a bit like windows media player 10, so don't bother with it, I don't, I use media player to sync up playlists if I don't just drag and drop the files.
I have found the software pretty good. It's been very easy to sync up my external hard drive full of music and the player, and also to copy CD's directly onto the player.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Chandler
So, just to be clear:

If I buy an Ipod I'm not limited to only downloading tunes at a cost from the itunes website?
don't know about the new player, but the ipods, they wouldn't play tunes that were bought else where, real player released a "hack" but are being sued for it...
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by neil
I have found the software pretty good. It's been very easy to sync up my external hard drive full of music and the player, and also to copy CD's directly onto the player.
I didn't like it, didn't offer anything over drag and drop or windows media, so was just taking up extra space..i didn't like it's play listing...
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:01 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler
So, just to be clear:

iPods will play any standard MP3 file. They also play AAC files which are not copy-protected, and AAC files downloaded from the iTunes Music Store which are copy-protected. They will also play Apple Lossless format (uncompressed, very high quality, but huge), WAV and AIFF files.

What they will not play are Windows Media files (WMV) or copy-protected songs in formats from other online music purchase stores like Napster.

So, if you have many CDs which you have ripped to MP3 files, or have downloaded from other less legal sources, you can play them fine on an iPod. The only thing you might have that you can't play is songs you paid money for from an online service other than Apple's iTunes Music Store.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Am still in two minds about all this but....

Never had an mp3 player of anykind and the shuffle seems like a good way to see if this is something I would use a lot without investing $300. Also it seems very simple to use, as I am not highly technical.

You can "shuffle" but you can also play in order.

I don't have a ton of CD's I wish to place on it. I would be happy with around 100 which I could change/update every 6 weeks or so.

$99 - just seems like a beginnings price point too. I do not have a lot of demands, like some men - just something simple, easy and not cost a ton!

Am I being foolish?
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I don't have a ton of CD's I wish to place on it. I would be happy with around 100 which I could change/update every 6 weeks or so.

$99 - just seems like a beginnings price point too. I do not have a lot of demands, like some men - just something simple, easy and not cost a ton!
you'll be surprised how handy they are, I got a tape convertor for the car that I plug my player in, it's easier changing the tunes on the player than having a tonne of cd's in the car, or filling up the cd box changer....and your mp3 collection will grow quickly once you start ripping your tunes and stuff...bit like a mobile phone, don't know how useful they can be until you get one I guess...

You could probably get one that's a lot cheaper than $100, with smaller storage if you only wnated to play around with one...
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Dunca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tomelina
Slightly off topic.... I have a regular 20 Gb I-pod, I would like to download stuff from the BBC site such as plays, shows etc. I can listen to them through my PC but how do I record them, save them and then download a BBC streaming file to my i-pod. Is this possible??
Hi

I've used SoundCapture for a coupld of years with out any problems http://www.download.com/SoundCapture...-10117490.html a free program which records directly from your sound card...It may lack some of the additional features that you get with other programs, but its FREE...

Duncan