British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Apple Fest Weekend? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/apple-fest-weekend-629990/)

Leslie Sep 16th 2009 1:49 am

Re: Apple Fest Weekend?

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 7934660)
I hear you. Do you ever long for the knowledge you'd have many years from now?

One of my biggest fears is that I'll never leave Ohio ... but will instead become a soccer mom driving a van. I realize that's not a terrible fate, but we only live once, right?

At 33 years old, I also have to think about the fact that if we want to have a family, we likely need to get started.

I don't know ... even if I had decided to have children, I would have never been a soccer mom. My bullshit tolerance is pretty low. It really is about how much energy you are willing to expend to shape your own life story. I hear jokes all of the time about Texas but I consistently meet sophisticated and well travelled people that have their home base here, many who were not born here I might add. Whether you stay in Ohio or not, you will still have to maintain that curiosity about the world and other cultures, otherwise you'll just become another kind of insular hick. ;)

Juswus Sep 16th 2009 1:50 am

Originally Posted by SagenOnion (Post 7934505)

Except a ciggie....old habits come crashing back every so often and up there, in that relaxed environment, it is even harder to stay off them. :(

omg...I get the same way! what is it about sitting out on a deck with a breeze making the leaves rustle that makes you want to smoke?

Kaffy Mintcake Sep 16th 2009 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 7934687)
I don't know ... even if I had decided to have children, I would have never been a soccer mom. My bullshit tolerance is pretty low. It really is about how much energy you are willing to expend to shape your own life story. I hear jokes all of the time about Texas but I consistently meet sophisticated and well travelled people that have their home base here, many who were not born here I might add. Whether you stay in Ohio or not, you will still have to maintain that curiosity about the world and other cultures, otherwise you'll just become another kind of insular hick. ;)

I don't worry about that. You're right, I have a pretty low threshold for bullshit as well. ;)

I just talked to my Mom a minute ago about 'wouldn't it be a great opportunity to be able to give your kids dual citizenship'? Wait until we drop dead, she said, we want you here.

sime303 Sep 16th 2009 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 7934492)
I think it would be an amazing place to grow up. But I can see how it loses it's appeal once you get to a certain age.

That would be about shovelling age I guess then. ****ing snow and it isn't even snowing yet.

another bloody yank Sep 16th 2009 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 7934660)

One of my biggest fears is that I'll never leave Ohio ...

One of my biggest fears is that I'll be forced to leave "Misery" (:sneaky:). I wouldn't mind traveling, and would definately do more of it if I could afford it, but I love living here. That said, a move is looking likely and I'll make the best of it. I'll have my wife and kids and I think ultimately that's what matters most to me.

Call me AL Sep 16th 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 7934687)

Can I just interrupt and say I may (and by 'may', I mean 'will') steal and peddle 'Face full of **** you' as my own without due acknowledgement.

Regards, Al.

Leslie Sep 16th 2009 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Call me AL (Post 7935759)
Can I just interrupt and say I may (and by 'may', I mean 'will') steal and peddle 'Face full of **** you' as my own without due acknowledgement.

Regards, Al.

You are welcome to it, my love. As long as you don't use it on me. :sneaky:

Englishtart Sep 16th 2009 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7935731)
One of my biggest fears is that I'll be forced to leave "Misery" (:sneaky:). I wouldn't mind traveling, and would definately do more of it if I could afford it, but I love living here. That said, a move is looking likely and I'll make the best of it. I'll have my wife and kids and I think ultimately that's what matters most to me.

That's a tough pill to swallow, when you don't want to move, but you are right, as long as you have your family with you it will make it a lot easier.

It's funny, but when I was growing up in the UK, we moved constantly, I think I counted about 11 houses before I left home at 17. I never had any thoughts of leaving the Uk though, I went away on vacations, but always thought I would live out my life in England. My Sister had visions of moving to the US, it was her dream not mine.

Now after all these years, moving from State to State, Country to Country, I find I am not able to 'settle' in any place for too long, usually around 3 yrs in, I get itchy feet:blink: I 'think' I would be happy to stay here if hubby could be here too, but I'm not really sure of even that. I'm looking forward to being a family again and i'm not really bothered about 'where' we move too at this point.:fingerscrossed:

PS. loved that pic of you Leslie, you were an adorable little girl :)