Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Apple Fest Weekend?

Apple Fest Weekend?

Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:11 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apple Fest Weekend?

Originally Posted by Juswus
I think it would be an amazing place to grow up. But I can see how it loses it's appeal once you get to a certain age.
Every year my parents would allow us to stay up to see the Northern Lights. Imagine lying on your back in the snow and watching the Aurora Borealis display. We didn't even know we were born.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Every year my parents would allow us to stay up to see the Northern Lights. Imagine lying on your back in the snow and watching the Aurora Borealis display. We didn't even know we were born.
That sounds amazing Leslie. How did you end up in Texas?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:13 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
The kids that mine have hooked up with up there seem to think that mine are awfully sophisticated because they come from the South.

Drinking outside is still a big pastime during the summer before moving the sport inside during the chillier months.

I think you were lucky to leave...many, most, of them can't.
Most of the ones that I knew did leave. Only a very few stayed. I still have a couple friends up that far North though.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:14 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

how fantastic
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:17 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
That sounds amazing Leslie. How did you end up in Texas?
My mother is from here. Her mother was married to a military guy who was stationed at the AFB. She met my Dad in high school and the rest was history. We/they lived in a numerous different states throughout my and my sibling's childhoods. They sort of had that gypsy thing going but gravitated more toward Maine and Texas because of extended family.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

My mother is from here. Her mother was married to a military guy who was stationed at the AFB. She met my Dad in high school and the rest was history. We/they lived in a numerous different states throughout my and my sibling's childhoods. They sort of had that gypsy thing going but gravitated more toward Maine and Texas because of extended family.
Did you enjoy moving around and seeing so much as a child? Or did you resent it? Or did it depend on the day?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:24 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I have a nostalgia for Maine. Lot's of idyllic childhood memories. I'm also glad that we left. Strange, huh?
Chuck an extra couple of ice cubes in your vodka.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:25 am
WTF?

Did you enjoy moving around and seeing so much as a child? Or did you resent it? Or did it depend on the day?
For my own innate nature it was pretty manageable. I don't remember ever being unhappy. It probably contributed to some of my personality defects though. For a couple of my siblings I would say it was quite difficult and I have one sister that is still bitter today because of the lifestyle we had growing up.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For my own innate nature it was pretty manageable. I don't remember ever being unhappy. It probably contributed to some of my personality defects though. For a couple of my siblings I would say it was quite difficult and I have one sister that is still bitter today because of the lifestyle we had growing up.
I'm really interested, probably because I have a horrible case of wanderlust and have only ever lived in Ohio. (Unless you count 5 months in Europe as a student.)

That's something I've wondered about ... especially as my family no longer lives anywhere nearby ... moving around a bit and experiencing different things sounds appealing ... but perhaps it's a case of the grass is always greener?

That being said, the childhood memory you just recounted sounds amazing!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:47 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really interested, probably because I have a horrible case of wanderlust and have only ever lived in Ohio. (Unless you count 5 months in Europe as a student.)

That's something I've wondered about ... especially as my family no longer lives anywhere nearby ... moving around a bit and experiencing different things sounds appealing ... but perhaps it's a case of the grass is always greener?

You are certainly in the right spot on this forum. Other than the occasional abnormality, a specific bearded Yank residing somewhere off google maps in Misery springs instantly to mind, most of the people on here have moved far from their place of origin and in many cases experienced a major culture shock. The grass is very often greener and I personally have had second thoughts about a move on many occasions but, in most cases, I have become happily ensconced in my new surroundings.

Aroostook County is not for most people though. Having said that, neither is Ohio You sound like you are going through the pangs of return after a great trip elsewhere. If you are going to do it, do it before kids put a damper on the project. I managed to drag them from SoCal to Maine, but there is no way on earth they would allow me to move them again.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:57 am
WTF?

It's complicated. I live a lot inside my own head and always have done so. I believe that kids (and adults) with active imaginations are much more suited to a transient lifestyle. What you end up with though is very few deep or lasting attachments to people or places. On the upside, I'm very adaptable and believe that I could be content almost anywhere, as long as my immediate environment is not overly harsh. That's not the case for everybody and (as we've witnessed here on BE) some people suffer terribly because of drastic changes to their environment. Personally, I don't care where I live as long as my own private life is satisfying - that's not really the same thing as wanderlust though. At this point in my life, I would never move just for the sake of moving. If you don't have a real purpose for a move I'm afraid you may be disappointed. Looking for an external location to satisfy your longings is a recipe for failure, imo. I think my parents finally figured that out and eventually did stop upping sticks every time they got bored or things weren't going their way.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:24 am
WTF?

You are certainly in the right spot on this forum. Other than the occasional abnormality, a specific bearded Yank residing somewhere off google maps in Misery springs instantly to mind, most of the people on here have moved far from their place of origin and in many cases experienced a major culture shock. The grass is very often greener and I personally have had second thoughts about a move on many occasions but, in most cases, I have become happily ensconced in my new surroundings.

Aroostook County is not for most people though. Having said that, neither is Ohio You sound like you are going through the pangs of return after a great trip elsewhere. If you are going to do it, do it before kids put a damper on the project. I managed to drag them from SoCal to Maine, but there is no way on earth they would allow me to move them again.
When I was growing up nobody cared what the kids thought. We'd just wake up one morning to find our shit was packed and there was a moving van parked out front.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's complicated. I live a lot inside my own head and always have done so. I believe that kids (and adults) with active imaginations are much more suited to a transient lifestyle. What you end up with though is very few deep or lasting attachments to people or places. On the upside, I'm very adaptable and believe that I could be content almost anywhere, as long as my immediate environment is not overly harsh. That's not the case for everybody and (as we've witnessed here on BE) some people suffer terribly because of drastic changes to their environment. Personally, I don't care where I live as long as my own private life is satisfying - that's not really the same thing as wanderlust though. At this point in my life, I would never move just for the sake of moving. If you don't have a real purpose for a move I'm afraid you may be disappointed. Looking for an external location to satisfy your longings is a recipe for failure, imo. I think my parents finally figured that out and eventually did stop upping sticks every time they got bored or things weren't going their way.
I hear you. Do you ever long for the knowledge you'd have many years from now?

One of my biggest fears is that I'll never leave Ohio ... but will instead become a soccer mom driving a van. I realize that's not a terrible fate, but we only live once, right?

At 33 years old, I also have to think about the fact that if we want to have a family, we likely need to get started.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:36 am
Dis-Member

When I was growing up nobody cared what the kids thought. We'd just wake up one morning to find our shit was packed and there was a moving van parked out front.
Sadly, my family is not the democracy that the US military is.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:39 am
WTF?

Sadly, my family is not the democracy that the US military is.
We weren't military. My Mom's parents were but not us. We were just human chattel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.