Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Apple Fest Weekend?

Apple Fest Weekend?

Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apple Fest Weekend?

For those of you that live in Maine, you MUST read Cathie Pelletier's The Funeral Makers. Laugh out loud funny specially for somebody from "The County" as we used to call it.

Last edited by Leslie; Sep 14th 2009 at 7:09 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vimto
The North Georgia Apple Festival up in Elijay, is not for a few weeks yet
http://www.georgiaapplefestival.org/

October 10th - 11th 2009 & October 17th - 18th 2009
Yeah I went to that a couple of years ago.
The wife loves all that stuff. Actually I've noticed that Americans really love all the 'fall' stuff. Maybe I'd enjoy it more if the cider actually had alcohol in it?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:51 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
For those of you that live in Maine, you MUST read Cathie Pelletier's The Funeral Makers. Laugh out loud funny specially for somebody from "The County" as we used to call it.
thanks for the tip
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:42 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, I'll be checking that out too.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:43 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I will take a gander at this one too.

We own a cottage on a small lake up in "The County". They are a peculiar breed for sure. The kids up there go back to school early in the summer so that they can have 2 weeks off in September to pick potatoes
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
I will take a gander at this one too.

We own a cottage on a small lake up in "The County". They are a peculiar breed for sure. The kids up there go back to school early in the summer so that they can have 2 weeks off in September to pick potatoes
Yes, I remember harvest well. Who says child labor is illegal?

My Dad's family is from Caribou and "camped" mostly at Big Madawaska.

I wouldn't imagine anybody but folks from The County would appreciate Pelletier's writing but Google tells me she's internationally acclaimed.

This is me standing on the frozen Madawaska:
Attached Thumbnails Apple Fest Weekend?-family-photos-me-maine-71.jpg  
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:31 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

FAB pic!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:35 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Juswus
FAB pic!
I have a nostalgia for Maine. Lot's of idyllic childhood memories. I'm also glad that we left. Strange, huh?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:38 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I remember harvest well. Who says child labor is illegal?

My Dad's family is from Caribou and "camped" mostly at Big Madawaska.

I wouldn't imagine anybody but folks from The County would appreciate Pelletier's writing but Google tells me she's internationally acclaimed.

Cute picture

We like to spend a good amount of the summer up there as we got lucky and can literally jump into the water from our deck. No 75 foot setback like it is now.

My kids find picking their noses hard work, God help them if it was potatoes!

Ordering the book on Amazon..its Prime eligible so will be here in a day or 2. I will let you know if I find funny or not.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:39 pm
lush

I think it would be an amazing place to grow up. But I can see how it loses it's appeal once you get to a certain age.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:40 pm
lush

We like to spend a good amount of the summer up there as we got lucky and can literally jump into the water from our deck. No 75 foot setback like it is now.
ahhhh...that sounds bliss
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:45 pm
Dis-Member

I think it would be an amazing place to grow up. But I can see how it loses it's appeal once you get to a certain age.
I imagine it would suck the big one. Sweet FA to do up there.

ahhhh...that sounds bliss
Pure, unadulterated bliss. To sit on the deck at night looking out over the water at a sky that is so full of stars due to no light pollution is truly wonderful. With a cold beer and an MP3 player I need nothing else.

Except a ciggie....old habits come crashing back every so often and up there, in that relaxed environment, it is even harder to stay off them.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:48 pm
WTF?

Cute picture

My kids find picking their noses hard work, God help them if it was potatoes!

Ordering the book on Amazon..its Prime eligible so will be here in a day or 2. I will let you know if I find funny or not.
Yeah, we could jump right in from the boat dock too. That's how it was for everybody back then though.

Even if you don't find the book funny ... you will recognize the characters. Being from Caribou we looked down on the people from the Allagash (local pronunciation would be HALLagash) as unsophisticated inbreds. LOL!!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:56 pm
WTF?

I imagine it would suck the big one. Sweet FA to do up there.

Not really. For us kids it was a wonderland. There was plenty for adults to do as long as you liked being outside and/or drinking. It just became so economically depressed when Loring AFB closed it made an already harsh life virtually untenable. My parents were always moving around the country anyway so I doubt we would have stayed forever.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:10 am
Dis-Member

Not really. For us kids it was a wonderland. There was plenty for adults to do as long as you liked being outside and/or drinking. It just became so economically depressed when Loring AFB closed it made an already harsh life virtually untenable. My parents were always moving around the country anyway so I doubt we would have stayed forever.
The kids that mine have hooked up with up there seem to think that mine are awfully sophisticated because they come from the South.

Drinking outside is still a big pastime during the summer before moving the sport inside during the chillier months.

I think you were lucky to leave...many, most, of them can't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.