British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   APC Machines and Greencards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/apc-machines-greencards-879177/)

ellie_gbr Jun 20th 2016 2:56 pm

APC Machines and Greencards

Just a note for anyone else using the automated machines when coming back into the US at airports that currently have them:

Although the instructions say to place your greencard face down on the scanner, you actually need to put it face up. It took me a few attempts before a supervisor came over and told me it needed to be the other way up, despite the instructions. Hopefully it will save someone else some confusion after a long flight!

H Bomb Jun 20th 2016 3:51 pm

Re: APC Machines and Greencards

We had that exact same confusion last night when using the machines in JFK - it didn't seem like the best system but finally got through.

wtkp0u Jun 20th 2016 7:12 pm

At ORD, once you've figured out the instructions are incorrect and been photo'd and 'printed by the machine, you take the paper it spits out and get in another queue to hand it to a human who then 'prints and photos you again. Is that the same everywhere? Dared to ask on one occasion why the need for duplication, response was, "Those are different machines."

Anian Jun 20th 2016 8:06 pm

It's been like that for a while. Everything takes as long as before, except you have to fiddle with a computer terminal in a prelim line in addition to what you have always had to do. I assume that it is easier on the immigration officials though, they seem much cheerier than they ever were before this extra step was introduced (or I've just been lucky these last few times).

mrken30 Jun 20th 2016 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by wtkp0u (Post 11978674)
Dared to ask on one occasion why the need for duplication, response was, "Those are different machines."

It's to check it you have mutated since standing in line. Have you not seen xmen? Shape shifters are a threat to the nation.

H Bomb Jun 20th 2016 8:28 pm

I applied for TSA/Global Entry to skip those machines 6 weeks ago and had hoped that it would have been done and approved by the time I traveled last week.

No such luck. Application only got passed the initial stage whilst I was away and from what I could see first interview date in NYC wasn't til November. However, just went on to book my appointment and now their website is down.

If they want more people TSA pre-checked they need to get through their applications a lot quicker!

Chrisdc Jun 21st 2016 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by H Bomb (Post 11978723)
If they want more people TSA pre-checked they need to get through their applications a lot quicker!

In the early days of Global Entry they would let you do a walk up if you happened to be passing through the airport. Maybe worth calling your local office and asking about taking a cancellation or something?

wtkp0u Jun 21st 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisdc (Post 11979538)
In the early days of Global Entry they would let you do a walk up if you happened to be passing through the airport. Maybe worth calling your local office and asking about taking a cancellation or something?

I got mine within a couple of weeks just before the news horror stories of 3 hour lines. Now they have a serious backlog, but when I was there I did see a couple of people succeed as walk ins.