Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

APB: Looking for Travel Agents with connections

Wikiposts

APB: Looking for Travel Agents with connections

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: APB: Looking for Travel Agents with connections

I've just remembered that Honeymommy got an amazing deal to return to the UK last Summer with a company called AutoEurope. In addition to flights they have good deals for car rental, hotels and packages etc. for the UK and mainland Europe. They had a stand at the New York Post Travel Show a few weeks ago and I had a brief chat with one of their reps about car rental - they're a sort of broker and if you want a rental car for example they check with all the rental companies to get the car in the category you want at the cheapest rate available.

Might be worth phoning them (which is how Honeymommy got her v.cheap flights with Virgin) as they have a toll-free number:

http://www.autoeurope.com/airfare.cfm

Homepage: http://www.autoeurope.com

I also heard about these companies who check with multiple sites for the cheapest fares in Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine:

http://www.sidestep.com

http://www1.mobissimo.com/travel/search_airfare.php

http://www.qixo.com
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: APB: Looking for Travel Agents with connections

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
I have found by checking British Airways website DAILY over the course of two weeks or more the rates vary drastically. When we first started out planning to go {we leave in the am!} the tickets were 600-700 dollars round trip for the cheapest seats available. I checked a few times every day as I KNOW from experience that they try to fill those planes. That's a LONG WAY to go without a full airplane. So anyways, I am home from work one day, logged on and the seats were $229.00 ROUND TRIP from Boston Mass to Heathrow! I flipped out............I booked them there and then, called my boss afterwards and said...........Oh favorite boss of all time......I need to leave on such and such a day! Then called hubby at work and said tell them you need this time off! So he did and we leave tomorrow. I think if your dates and times are open and flexible you can finagle a deal.Everyone is amazed at those prices. You can't even fly to Florida during off season that cheap! Good luck to you.

Debs

I've had good luck using the British airways site too- usually cheaper than the so called cheap ticket sites at all times, I've found..and they come out with deals quite often. I also watch Virgin Atlantic- as they are often the same price as BA. Had a fabulous flight home with them in Jan- plane half full and $356 round trip.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 10:11 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I got an email from US Airways this morning. They have a special for travel to Glasgow and one of the departure cities is Louisville!!

$563 R/T Louisville to Glasgow

The only catch is that you have to travel in May. But I'm sure May in Glasgow is better than October in Glasgow

http://www.usairways.com/pro/specials/gla_sale.htm
Old Mar 24th 2005, 4:57 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried opodo travel they have cheap flight around 378GBP for october from louisville to glasgow.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:37 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Glasgow on sale - from $321 R/T

http://dir.travelzoo.com/Air.asp?int...y=12&id=185158
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:22 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hi all,

I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse, but I gotta ask anyway. Hubby and I are looking to return to Glasgow to visit his folks for 2 weeks in Sept or Oct. Using all the regular sites (travelocity, cheaptickets, expedia, orbitz, etc), I can't find a flight for less than $900pp !! This seems outrageous given the time of the year - I mean no normal tourist goes to Scotland in Oct. so flights should be somewhat cheaper right??? Aren't prices still supposed to be low, or have I missed something?

So now we're looking for some travel agents that know where to look. If you are one, or can recommend one, either respond here, or send me a PM.

Thanks for any help everyone!!

Cheers!!
~Jamie
Hi Jamie,

Right now the flights are selling at full economy fares and they generally only start discounting around 2 months out because that is when revenue management look at the load factor and decided if/how they should reduce the fares to fill the plane. Sept & Oct are considered shoulder season but you are more likely to get a decent discount nearer the time if you travel in October since Sept is usually fills no problem.

I used to work in travel (I could not sell to the public) and we had contracts for Europe - the contract rates are only about $150 or so lower than the quotes you are getting now. Within 2 months of departure we would book low fares which were better than the contracts.

Try running Bookingbuddy.com - it will search all the major discount websites for you. If it gives you a low fare eg on Continental Airlines check the airline website as they may have additional offers (bonus mileage) for booking direct.....also sign up for fare alerts with Orbitz or Travelocity etc.

If I were in your position I would figure out some midweek travel dates Mon/Tue/Wed in October (avoid travel around Columbus Day because your feeder flights from SDF will most likely jack up the price due to the busy domestic market) and book that time off with my employer. Then I would sign up for fare alerts on Orbitz/ Expedia etc and keep checking fares. It's a gamble but you also gamble by booking too far ahead since canx penalties are tough too.

Air only is tough for travel agents - they really only make any money from air/land packages so you may have to do the leg work yourself.

Shop around, be happy with your choice and enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:56 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looselips
Hi Jamie,

Right now the flights are selling at full economy fares and they generally only start discounting around 2 months out because that is when revenue management look at the load factor and decided if/how they should reduce the fares to fill the plane. Sept & Oct are considered shoulder season but you are more likely to get a decent discount nearer the time if you travel in October since Sept is usually fills no problem.

I used to work in travel (I could not sell to the public) and we had contracts for Europe - the contract rates are only about $150 or so lower than the quotes you are getting now. Within 2 months of departure we would book low fares which were better than the contracts.

Try running Bookingbuddy.com - it will search all the major discount websites for you. If it gives you a low fare eg on Continental Airlines check the airline website as they may have additional offers (bonus mileage) for booking direct.....also sign up for fare alerts with Orbitz or Travelocity etc.

If I were in your position I would figure out some midweek travel dates Mon/Tue/Wed in October (avoid travel around Columbus Day because your feeder flights from SDF will most likely jack up the price due to the busy domestic market) and book that time off with my employer. Then I would sign up for fare alerts on Orbitz/ Expedia etc and keep checking fares. It's a gamble but you also gamble by booking too far ahead since canx penalties are tough too.

Air only is tough for travel agents - they really only make any money from air/land packages so you may have to do the leg work yourself.

Shop around, be happy with your choice and enjoy your trip!

Consolidators or wholesalers often have good deals. The ones I use as a travel agent are tried and true and have been around for quite awhile.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:56 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Consolidators or wholesalers often have good deals. The ones I use as a travel agent are tried and true and have been around for quite awhile.
Absolutely! However, I am not about to start recommending any since their fortunes fluctuate so much......if you can help her with a consolidator or wholesale fare I think that would be great!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of

Hi,

I am a UK travel agent living in Florida and my first posting in this section

My London office can sell flights from the UK to US/Canada etc., but we are not allowed to sell flights the opposite way, eg USA to UK

For cheap flights try to book 11 months prior to your journey. This way you will have more choice of Airlines and dates. The cheapest times should be between Dec26 to end March or 1st Nov to around 14th Dec each year. Also try to avoid UK school holidays

The cheapest airline (I am sure) is US Air but I think they maybe in chapter 11 at the moment

If anyone needs any help with a vacation villa in the Disney area in Florida or flights/car hire/attraction tickets just PM me and I will do special rates for forum members and their familes

Regards Sue

www.floridavillas.com www.floridavillas.co.uk
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

My ex-husband is from Louisville. To be honest, I'd fly out of O'Hare (ORD) -- you're going to get better fares. I'd drive there, too, because you are tempting fate making a connection with your luggage -- I got so seriously screwed with that. BA "vanished" my main bag for four days!

Yes, you'll pay long-term parking, but it's cheaper than you're going to be surtaxed with a connecting flight, and the odds of having anything go wrong because of a connecting flight being cancelled or delayed are eliminated. I live in Austin, Texas, which is slightly bigger than SDF, and I wouldn't consider flying out of here to the UK given pricing and experience.

If you really want to fly, I'd suggest an R/T to ATL ... I hate Hartsfield, but there are several direct flights from SDF to ATL and then from ATL across the pond. I've seen some pretty decent fare sales from ATL, more often than from ORD. I'd agree that you are looking early and that I have far better luck waiting -- as someone noticed BA can really drop the price when it gets to be three weeks prior to departure (then they rise at two weeks prior).
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the UK on a visit right now... for this visit and my last trip over I used www.bt-store.com they were about $200 cheaper than orbitz and expedia etc.

Ash
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:39 am
trout pout

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I am in the UK on a visit right now... for this visit and my last trip over I used www.bt-store.com they were about $200 cheaper than orbitz and expedia etc.

Ash
Thanks for that link Ash!