Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Apartments arrangement in the U.S.

View Poll Results: Do you rent an apartment or you bought a one?
We live with my partner's family
0%
We bought own apartment without bank loan
2.94%
We bought own apartment with bank loan
5.88%
we rent an apartment for 250$-350$ a month
2.94%
we rent an apartment for 350$-450$ a month
8.82%
we rent an apartment for 450-550$ a month
5.88%
we rent an apartment for more than 550$ a month
73.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Apartments arrangement in the U.S.

Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Americanwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apartments arrangement in the U.S.

hi guys!
Curious how did you manage to arrange your family nest once in the U.S. with your partner
What type of arrangement was it for u?
Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Apartments arrangement in the U.S.

Where I am you can't rent a shed for $550 per month!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:40 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

I voted with the apartment we got when we first moved over - a 3 bed apartment with my wife's sister which was $960 a month.

Now we own a 4-bed house
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:09 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Same here! In fact, double it and you'd still struggle to find something. We're renovating hubby's house and for the interim we're living in a place that I got.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Brit in NY ... I live just outside of NYC in lower Westchester and I can and do and have for over 29 years. The wonders of rent stablization ;-)

Rete
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Americanwife
hi guys!
Curious how did you manage to arrange your family nest once in the U.S. with your partner
Thanks

Your survey is too generalized. Rents, prices for co-ops and condos vary tremendously throughout the US. Often varies dramatically within the same states and within 50 miles of one city to the next.

Also you forgot that if you own your apartment (Co-op or Condo) that there is a maintenance fee, insurance, etc. and those figures are not included in your survey.

You might want to set your survey to a particular area in the US.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 20th 2004 at 3:27 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys!
Thanks
Apartment cost, wouldn't that also depend on the size?
We're paying way more than $550 a month and it's a one bedroom/lounge jobby....and we're hardly in a "City"
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:57 pm
Franklin

Red face Re: Apartments arrangement in the U.S.

Originally Posted by James Box
I voted with the apartment we got when we first moved over - a 3 bed apartment with my wife's sister which was $960 a month.

Now we own a 4-bed house
From Bath! Great place. I did a post-doc at Bath University; the uni was not constructed using the classic Bath stone, but Bath itself is FANTASTIC. I just wish "they" would do something about the traffic fumes, especially during the summer.

I married my American wife while living in Bath (we actually lived in a village just outside Bath, Englishcombe Village I think it was called, lovely place, make that LOVELY place). We also lived for a few months in another village (I think that one was called Combe Village, loved the village pub, had great Sunday dinners) where bits of the land were condemned for fear of turning into spontaneous holes (some of the Bath stone was mined under the village to form large chambers ... or maybe it was the otherway around and it was the village that got built right above the quarry chambers).

The nearest shop shutdown because of a weight restriction imposed right outside the shop, a friend's garden was tapped off, and some recreation ground got tapped off. One council house near my friend's council house was condemned. It seemed to be a creeping problem. Apparently the pillars of stone left in the underground quarry to support the roof of the quarry (and hence the surface of the village) were at risk of failing. There was talk of filling the chambers with power station waste (yuk), such soot would be heavy in heavy metals.

Anyway, we got engaged in Bath and married in Cardiff. She loved Bath (or Baaath, as the locals sometimes called it, "Can you direct me to Bath?" No. "You mean I got off at the wrong place on the M4?" No. "I am confused now". I don't know of a "Bath" but "Baaath" is five miles that way.

After we got married and my wife got a NI # she worked as a waitress in the Pump Room, I used to go and meet her there and sit at a table where all the newspapers of the day were piled up (at the back of the Pump Room, bit out of sight) and read for free (well, I did that in the Bath Uni library, but somehow I preferred to read the newspapers in the lovely ambience of the Pump Room).

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Aug 20th 2004 at 8:41 pm.

Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:08 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

hi guys!
Thanks

I think you should have broken the poll down further...many of us pay in excess of $1500 p/m

$550+ per month would be amazing around here....

I think it would cost me more than that (in fines) to live on the street in my car
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:37 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Apartments arrangement in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
From Bath! Great place. I did a post-doc at Bath University; the uni was not constructed using the classic Bath stone, but Bath itself is FANTASTIC. I just wish "they" would do something about the traffic fumes, especially during the summer.
Cool. When were you and your wife in Bath? I lived in various parts of the city from 1997 till 2003. We got married in Indianapolis in 2001 and moved to Bath. My wife loves the city, but her job was in Bristol and she got fed up with the traffic, either driving to the Park n Ride and taking the bus, or by taking the train which were always full and late! I had a great job on Walcot St in the centre of Bath and could drive there

We lived in Southdown which is on the west side of the city, not too far from Englishcombe. I remember the stories about the mines but we never actually visited the village. Been to the Roman Baths several times taking guests around and sampled the water, but I don't think I've dined in the Pump Room.

Still have many friends there and miss it lots. Can't wait to take my daughter there for the first time
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:32 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
I think it would cost me more than that (in fines) to live on the street in my car
Finally, a smart blonde joke.

A blonde walks into a bank in New York City and asks for the loan officer.
She says she's going to Europe on business for two weeks and
needs to borrow $5,000. The bank officer says the bank will need some kind
of security for the loan, so the blonde hands over the keys to a new Rolls
Royce.

The car is parked on the street in front of the bank, she has the title
and everything checks out. The bank agrees to accept the car as collateral
for the loan.

The bank's president and its officers all enjoy a good laugh at the
blonde for using a $250,000 Rolls as collateral against a $5,000 loan.

An employee of the bank then proceeds to drive the Rolls into the bank's
underground garage and parks it there.

Two weeks later, the blonde returns, repays the $5,000 and the
interest, which comes to $15.41. The loan officer says, "Miss, we are
very happy to have had your business, and this transaction has worked out
very nicely, but we are a little puzzled. While you were away, we checked
you out and found that you are a multimillionaire.

What puzzles us is, why would you bother to borrow $5,000?"

The blond replies, "Where else in New York City can I park my car
for two weeks for only $15.41 and expect it to be there when I return?"
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Finally, a smart blonde joke.
That's a good one....
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

trasmus will become famous soon enoughtrasmus will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Apartments arrangement in the U.S.

We've just moved from Dallas to Irving,Texas this past week. We have a lovely 1 bedroom apartment for $550 a month. Fireplace, W/D, Dishwasher, a nice view of the canal which is located in our backyard and it's in Los Colinas a pretty"posh" area. It's easy to find luruxy in Dallas and surrounding areas without paying an arm & a leg. But prices vary depending upon location and size of apartment.

Michelle
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:36 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by James Box
Cool. When were you and your wife in Bath? I lived in various parts of the city from 1997 till 2003. We got married in Indianapolis in 2001 and moved to Bath. My wife loves the city, but her job was in Bristol and she got fed up with the traffic, either driving to the Park n Ride and taking the bus, or by taking the train which were always full and late! I had a great job on Walcot St in the centre of Bath and could drive there

We lived in Southdown which is on the west side of the city, not too far from Englishcombe. I remember the stories about the mines but we never actually visited the village. Been to the Roman Baths several times taking guests around and sampled the water, but I don't think I've dined in the Pump Room.

Still have many friends there and miss it lots. Can't wait to take my daughter there for the first time
I did a post-doc at Bath from early 95 to late 96, my then wife got homesick and we moved to Chicago, IL. There seemed to be a lot of "down" in place names, Bath University is on Claverton Down. I still miss Bath; it is one of the nicest areas to live in. Just loved the area and the beautiful architecture.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Aug 21st 2004 at 12:59 pm.

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved over we rented an appartment, in Westchester county, and considered ourselves lucky to find a nice, newly modernized, apartment for three times that!

Later we moved out (of New York), and moved in with the in-laws, ..... two weeks later they moved out!!! ..... but that is another story. After eight months in our in-laws house we eventually bought our own place, but that is a house.

BTW In the Charlotte, NC, area the "Section 8" Federal housing rent subsidization scheme for low income families allows rent on a two bedroom apartment of some thing like $650, so I doubt there are many places in the US that apartments can be rented for significntly less than $550.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 22nd 2004 at 12:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.