British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Apartment search in NY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/apartment-search-ny-523198/)

pejpm1 Mar 20th 2008 2:13 pm

Apartment search in NY

I'm moving to NYC on 1st April. I will be moving with my gf who is a USC. I will be moving on an L1B visa. We are pretty much resigned to having to use a broker, I dont really mind, if it makes it easier I'll pay the fee...anyway, I have a question...

Obviously I wont have an SS number when I first arrive, will this effect me in trying to find an apartment? I understand that I may have to put down an extra security deposit, I am OK with this as long as it is reasonable....but will my lack of SS number mean that a landlord wouldnt even look at me?

Basically, I'd like to hear from others that have rented in NYC..how did you do it? Was it difficult to find a landlord willing to accept someone without credit? Did you have to put down extra security?

Thanks

basementwaj Mar 20th 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Apartment search in NY

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 6089140)
I'm moving to NYC on 1st April. I will be moving with my gf who is a USC. I will be moving on an L1B visa. We are pretty much resigned to having to use a broker, I dont really mind, if it makes it easier I'll pay the fee...anyway, I have a question...

Obviously I wont have an SS number when I first arrive, will this effect me in trying to find an apartment? I understand that I may have to put down an extra security deposit, I am OK with this as long as it is reasonable....but will my lack of SS number mean that a landlord wouldnt even look at me?

Basically, I'd like to hear from others that have rented in NYC..how did you do it? Was it difficult to find a landlord willing to accept someone without credit? Did you have to put down extra security?

Thanks

buddy of mine doesnt have a ss number but found a place off times squ on craigs list. Another buddy did a flat swap London/NYC

Bootle Mar 20th 2008 2:47 pm

Really depends on what you are looking for.

The is things off Craigslist or sublet.com are less likely to be stringent about those type of things - what you will need is a letter from your employer stating salary (base wages - not bonuses).

If your looking at the luxury rentals some do require SS some don't - The buildings around Hells Kitchen and Chelsea usually don't but then the areas are not as salubrious as say the UES. You can't really generalise except that from evidence of friends Archstone does not require additional security deposit or SSN as long as you have a passport, visa and employers letter for 40x rent. The only thing I'd say is that if you have the time you don't have to go through a broker unless there is a particular building you are interested in.

Websites like nybits and urbansherpa will point you to buildings that do not require brokers.

pejpm1 Mar 20th 2008 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bootle (Post 6089272)
Really depends on what you are looking for.

The is things off Craigslist or sublet.com are less likely to be stringent about those type of things - what you will need is a letter from your employer stating salary (base wages - not bonuses).

If your looking at the luxury rentals some do require SS some don't - The buildings around Hells Kitchen and Chelsea usually don't but then the areas are not as salubrious as say the UES. You can't really generalise except that from evidence of friends Archstone does not require additional security deposit or SSN as long as you have a passport, visa and employers letter for 40x rent. The only thing I'd say is that if you have the time you don't have to go through a broker unless there is a particular building you are interested in.

Websites like nybits and urbansherpa will point you to buildings that do not require brokers.

I asked a similar question ages ago when i first heard about the possibility of moving, and I had lots of helpful responses regarding broker vs no-broker...I have a couple of lists of apt's and lots of phone numbers of buildings that dont charge a fee....but I think I'm going to use a broker. I've spoken to a lot of people from the NY office and they tend to say that broker apts tend to be nicer, and it takes out a lot of the legwork...I'll see how it goes...

Longy Mar 20th 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 6089360)
I asked a similar question ages ago when i first heard about the possibility of moving, and I had lots of helpful responses regarding broker vs no-broker...I have a couple of lists of apt's and lots of phone numbers of buildings that dont charge a fee....but I think I'm going to use a broker. I've spoken to a lot of people from the NY office and they tend to say that broker apts tend to be nicer, and it takes out a lot of the legwork...I'll see how it goes...

From what you said in your other post it sounds like this broker really can't be bothered though. Why don't you try another one?

And I suppose it comes down to whether you can afford to tie up that money - I wasn't happy about putting down a deposit, but didn't have much choice. I completely forgot about it until recently - as we have now bought a house it feels like getting a nice bonus for us to buy stuff with.

lapin_windstar Mar 20th 2008 5:57 pm

IM limited E:

- it's not so much the absence of an SSN as the absence of a credit rating (which is "filed" by SSN, if you see what I mean). I have an SSN but nae credit whatsoever;

- even the landlords going privately through craigslist will sometimes do credit checks;

- my landlord accepted 2 months' deposit (1 is usual) and photocopies of bank statements as a good proxy for credit;

- i don't think there is any huge generalization to be made about the quality of broker apts vs. non-broker apts. I saw some fleapit broker apts and some stunning private rentals (and the other way around). If you can afford a broker, use one, but I was definitely not of the opinion that they added as much as they costed (but I am very tightfisted).

Bootle Mar 20th 2008 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 6089360)

Its really up to you and your partner's tastes. As lapin has said there can be no real generalizations about broker v non-broker apartments. Many of the luxury apartments are non-rentals and they are dotted around town. And I am sure having done your research that the most important thing you will need to know about where you are living is where you will be working. Ask your colleagues in the NY office about the brokers they have used - there are some bad ones and the big firms can be the worst. As I said you can find no-fee apartments anywhere but if you have your heart set on a particular building or area you may need to use a broker. Also brokers are expensive and even though you save some time you still will have to schlep around and see these places - and brokers can be a hard arsed bunch. You should also make sure that you have everything you need to make a deposit there and then - April is starting to get into the silly season for NY housing.

Patrick Hasler Mar 21st 2008 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 6089155)
buddy of mine doesnt have a ss number but found a place off times squ on craigs list.

And it only costs him 2 grand a week :rofl:

GoldFinger Mar 23rd 2008 5:39 am

I work in real estate in the city.

1. Many people don’t realise that they don’t need a broker to find/rent an apartment. Look in NY (Sunday) Times, Backpage, Craigslist for owners who are renting. Contact them and see what they can do for you.
2. Don’t waste your $$ on high Manhattan rent AND paying a little extra for not having a ssn/credit. Look for an apartment above 123rd (Manhattan) or across the river in Long Island City, Queens or Brooklyn.
3. If you have no ssn/credit the only broker that will help you are one foo the unlicensed ones.
4. If your girlfriend is a usc she must have a ssn. Use hers.:)