British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Apart from Healthcare what are your other costs of living?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/apart-healthcare-what-your-other-costs-living-683204/)

ryanthelion84 Aug 29th 2010 12:35 pm

Apart from Healthcare what are your other costs of living??

Aside from healthcare which I am already exploring as an entirely seperate subject what are your other costs of living in the US equivalent to some of the mandatory payments you have to make in the UK?

Are there equivalents to council tax/tv licence etc?

I've got a basic understanding as the father in law owns 2 vacation properties near disney and have been able to advise me on the likes of electric/tv/cable/phone/broadband/house insurance/hurricane cover etc, as well as the costs of the mortgage and some house related taxs, although he tells me some of it he only has to pay as its a property rented to holiday makers...

Can anyone provide me with a rundown of their monthly/yearly living expenses inc things like car payments (including the type of car so i can get an idea of payment vs. standard or car?!)

I'm going to post seperately on tax returns as this, along with healthcare is the other massibely complex topic (or it seems it on the face)!

Thank you all!!

Vimto Aug 29th 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Apart from Healthcare what are your other costs of living??

Before you start what are your expected costs based on?
Where are you going to live?
How many kids do you have?
What visa will you be coming on?
If possible will your wife work?
What are your recreational hobbies?

based on these factors then some may be able to make a stab at your costs

lisa67 Aug 29th 2010 1:07 pm

Depends where you're going to live.
We pay an extortiate amount in property taxes because we live in a great school district.
We also, because we live out in the countryside, don't have a water bill because we have our own well, but we do have to pay for rubbish collection and we have to pay, by law, to have our sceptic system serviced (again because we are out in the country).
Car insurance will be high because you'll be new to the system.
If you're going to be living somewhere hot and in a large house then your electricity bill (for the AC) will be a lot as it will if you'll be living somewhere cold and need extra heat in the winter :)

Rete Aug 29th 2010 1:17 pm

You have your father-in-laws input as to the cost of electricity and cable tv. Have you looked up other threads dealing with Florida living? Or checked the wiki for information on Florida? Have you searched the city data dot com website for the area you are emigrating to?

Taxes vary. Move to Naples, FL and you are going to be paying top dollar along with those in Miami and South Beach. Go to another area in Florida and it won't be quite as bad. Sales tax is high because there is no State income tax.

Costs varies on usage and need.

AmerLisa Aug 29th 2010 1:49 pm

We live in Washington, our property taxes are roughly $3k a year. Mortgage is closer (than we would like) to $2k a month.

Our utilities run around $300 a month (rough estimate and I'm throwing in phone, cable and internet at $150 a month, there is no tv license here.) Our heating bill can go up to $150 a month in the coldest months (which, of course, increases the cost) and we don't really live in a very cold climate. We don't have air/con, but you will in Florida. I have no idea what that runs, maybe Ray will tell you.

Car payments, depending on interest rates, can be $400 and higher for $25k car, again its an estimate. When we first arrived car insurance was very expensive, we paid about $200 a month for two cars. It actually hasn't gone down much either.

Englishtart Aug 29th 2010 2:04 pm

As Rete says, it is difficult for us to answer your questions, because we all have different costs, dependant on State, even County. The site she suggested citydata.com, will have an area forum where you are going too, you can ask people that actually live there these questions and get more accurate ideas of costs etc.

You can also get good ideas for schools, housing/rental charges, commute times, weather reports and lots of other ueseful info, I have used that forum every time we have moved, it has been a great resource and has cut down on 'some' of the surprises when we got to new place;)

Of course, it's not BE, so keep in mind that most of the members are not Brits!:lol:

ryanthelion84 Aug 29th 2010 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8810938)
You have your father-in-laws input as to the cost of electricity and cable tv. Have you looked up other threads dealing with Florida living? Or checked the wiki for information on Florida? Have you searched the city data dot com website for the area you are emigrating to?

Taxes vary. Move to Naples, FL and you are going to be paying top dollar along with those in Miami and South Beach. Go to another area in Florida and it won't be quite as bad. Sales tax is high because there is no State income tax.

Costs varies on usage and need.

Indeed!!

So....I'd be looking for a 3 bed (with a pool hopefully) in the west palm area of FL, somewhere like Jupiter for example...

the FiL has said his electricity bill is high but compare that to our friends who are BEP's living in the same street there is a considerable contrast in price probably down to the way of living....holiday makers will crank the aircon up, leave it on day and night and leave the doors to the pool open all day so it soon adds up!

He also pays extra taxes due to its vacation status however compare that to a home he long terms rents, the taxes drop a little...we did some workings out and based on myself, my wife and my 2 children each aged under 3(well, will be two v. soon) we came up with the following ball park figure for mortgage/taxes related to home/utilities inc. decent internet, phone, cable, electric and house insurances...

$1,800 pcm.

In terms of hobbies we'd probably look for a gym membership, my wife would not be working and would probably look for her usual social circles where she can take the kids along to groups to meet other mums...

Other than that in FL it's likely to be the odd baseball game and trips up the friends in Davenport for a theme park visit...im an avid snowboarder but havent heard of there being any indoor slopes in that area of FL and we would not be located near any snow so i guess that would be a vacation thing only...this leaves my regularly playing football, but i doubt ill find anyone to play 'recreational soccer' with!?

other hobbies include a good movie and eating out...of which there is plenty to do in the US full stop!!

ryanthelion84 Aug 29th 2010 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8811007)
As Rete says, it is difficult for us to answer your questions, because we all have different costs, dependant on State, even County. The site she suggested citydata.com, will have an area forum where you are going too, you can ask people that actually live there these questions and get more accurate ideas of costs etc.

You can also get good ideas for schools, housing/rental charges, commute times, weather reports and lots of other ueseful info, I have used that forum every time we have moved, it has been a great resource and has cut down on 'some' of the surprises when we got to new place;)

Of course, it's not BE, so keep in mind that most of the members are not Brits!:lol:

Tis' ok, judging by some of the pockets of hostility on BE I'm pretty sure I have a good idea what to expect! LOL!

Englishtart Aug 29th 2010 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84 (Post 8811024)
Tis' ok, judging by some of the pockets of hostility on BE I'm pretty sure I have a good idea what to expect! LOL!

Don't take everything personally;) Brits moving to Florida can bring out some interesting responses sometimes. We have seen lots of Brits post on here that have done the Disney holidays and think they can just pack up in the UK and get on a plane:blink: For those of us that know better and how difficult it really is to move to the US, it can get a little bit 'old':zzz:

Once everyone knows that you understand the visa requirements and have done your research, they will give you more help/info. Hang in there and be patient with us!:)

meauxna Aug 29th 2010 5:48 pm

New member Des inFlorida has been posting his start up and monthly expenses: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682208

There are other threads by him too.

Jaxbar Aug 29th 2010 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84 (Post 8811016)

He also pays extra taxes due to its vacation status however compare that to a home he long terms rents, the taxes drop a little...we did some workings out and based on myself, my wife and my 2 children each aged under 3(well, will be two v. soon) we came up with the following ball park figure for mortgage/taxes related to home/utilities inc. decent internet, phone, cable, electric and house insurances...

$1,800 pcm.

other hobbies include a good movie and eating out...of which there is plenty to do in the US full stop!!

We are in what is considered a small house, 3 bed no pool, our electricity alone was $280 last month, our bills are quite a bit higher than your estimate.

ryanthelion84 Aug 29th 2010 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass (Post 8811455)
We are in what is considered a small house, 3 bed no pool, our electricity alone was $280 last month, our bills are quite a bit higher than your estimate.

to break that down we were talking
$400 a month electricity
$200 a month TV/Phone/Broadband
$200 a month water
$1000 mortgage/property tax/house insurance (based on a 3 bed property which the FIL owns)

Jaxbar Aug 29th 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84 (Post 8811613)
to break that down we were talking
$400 a month electricity
$200 a month TV/Phone/Broadband
$200 a month water
$1000 mortgage/property tax/house insurance (based on a 3 bed property which the FIL owns)

Some other things you may consider...
Gas
Monitored alarm system
Home owners association fees
Food
Car payment, insurance, registration
Tutor - (Equivalent to a mortgage payment) I am learning that what they say about Florida schools is true!
School supplies and school dinners
Extra curricular activities at school

Oh and we havn't even talked about medical yet

Mummy in the foothills Aug 29th 2010 8:02 pm

Also sewer bills they come separate here.
Then the homeowners fees to cover street lights.
Car insurance, car payment.
don't forget to add tax to everything you see.
If you have a pool the chemicals cost quite a bit and the pool maintenance service, if you are working and can't keep it up.

ryanthelion84 Aug 29th 2010 10:10 pm

Did not consider gas as the properties the in laws own are all electric...
home owners fee's would be subject to area as i understand it?

food and car have already been budgeted for outside of the $1800...

Kids won't be in school for another 2-3 years and would take a packed lunch...,

school books and extra curricular is something that has crossed my mind but isnt

an immediate bridge to be crossed...

healthcare is something also considered outside of the $1800 already

mentioned...