Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Apart from the $$$ why do they insist on bldg wooden houses?

Apart from the $$$ why do they insist on bldg wooden houses?

Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apart from the $$$ why do they insist on bldg wooden houses?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
The only difference being that any shed of mine would have been stronger and had a better foundation. I've assisted in inspections here and in the UK. Some of the concrete work here would get torn out and re-poured there

lol ohhh stop it but you're right...
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:52 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Also, in a country that is home to vast areas of termite and carpenter ant territories, I fail to understand the logic of building houses out of their favorite food
To keep Terminex, Orkin, et al in business? Its that vicious cycle of screwing as much dosh out of the homeowner as possible
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Also, in a country that is home to vast areas of termite and carpenter ant territories, I fail to understand the logic of building houses out of their favorite food
Well, anywhere on the west coast, it's a good idea not to build with bricks - they don't exactly hold up very well in earthquakes. Personally, I think steel framed is the way to go as I don't think termites eat that for supper.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:55 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well, anywhere on the west coast, it's a good idea not to build with bricks - they don't exactly hold up very well in earthquakes. Personally, I think steel framed is the way to go as I don't think termites eat that for supper.

Exactly, even steel studwork would be a step in the right direction, then some decent insulation...
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
My mum's house in England was built in the 40's & has steel girders running through it.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Titchski
To keep Terminex, Orkin, et al in business? Its that vicious cycle of screwing as much dosh out of the homeowner as possible

True, and thats all bollocks too. You can do a better job yourself if you go to a chemical supplier do your homework.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
My mum's house in England was built in the 40's & has steel girders running through it.
She probably has a fancy roof or some big open rooms, right?
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:01 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

True, and thats all bollocks too. You can do a better job yourself if you go to a chemical supplier do your homework.
My neighbour does mine for me. In return I fix his computer when he breaks it. Bug fixes for bug fixes I guess
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Every day on the news I hear of yet another family that have died due to a house fire. Why do they build these timber homes that burn down in minutes? When we first moved into our house a friend said 'so good that you have more than one staircase, makes it easier to get out when the house catches fire' :scared: Very reassuring. Not to mention that they give little protection in floods, tornadoes, landslides etc.

This is something I've wondered about ever since I got here. There are regular house fires in our town , especially in the older areas- more so now with wildfires springing up all over the place. I asked the husband about it, he is American. His version is that in this part of America at least (Oklahoma and the west) originally dwellings were made from whatever was available - wood, canvas, stones - and it's not that much more than 100 years ago when the boom in population started in these parts. Later as more and more people arrived, the houses needed to be put up quickly. It would have been too difficult to import enough bricks, so wooden houses were the norm.

I notice now that all the new residential areas in our town have brick houses, I've never seen a wooden house being built. I think it's a progression, slow to come, but on its way now. We tend to forget that in England some of our houses and buildings are 2, 3, hundred years old - here in Oklahoma a building of the early 1900s is looked on as AMAZING !

Having been the victim of a fire in the UK I was adamant that we buy a brick house - and I got my way! However, I was told that a house opposite was destroyed by fire a few years ago due to their log fire grate causing a problem. No log fires for us!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:32 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

She probably has a fancy roof or some big open rooms, right?
Yes, she has a 'proper' roof!!!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dimsie
This is something I've wondered about ever since I got here. There are regular house fires in our town , especially in the older areas- more so now with wildfires springing up all over the place. I asked the husband about it, he is American. His version is that in this part of America at least (Oklahoma and the west) originally dwellings were made from whatever was available - wood, canvas, stones - and it's not that much more than 100 years ago when the boom in population started in these parts. Later as more and more people arrived, the houses needed to be put up quickly. It would have been too difficult to import enough bricks, so wooden houses were the norm.

I notice now that all the new residential areas in our town have brick houses, I've never seen a wooden house being built. I think it's a progression, slow to come, but on its way now. We tend to forget that in England some of our houses and buildings are 2, 3, hundred years old - here in Oklahoma a building of the early 1900s is looked on as AMAZING !

Having been the victim of a fire in the UK I was adamant that we buy a brick house - and I got my way! However, I was told that a house opposite was destroyed by fire a few years ago due to their log fire grate causing a problem. No log fires for us!
A lot of "brick" houses are just brick cladding, with a crappy timber frame holding everything together on the inside of it
I have yet to see a brick/block cavity walled house in the US.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:54 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of "brick" houses are just brick cladding, with a crappy timber frame holding everything together on the inside of it
Some of the houses in my area are built using concrete block now, with a stucco finish to look the same as the 'sheds'. Can expect to pay another $200K or so for the priviledge.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I notice now that all the new residential areas in our town have brick houses, I've never seen a wooden house being built. I think it's a progression, slow to come, but on its way now. !

!
interesting...so what are the frames made of if not wood, just curious as out this way they are all just timber frames with either stucco or brick cladding
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say the same thing. You see the timber frame go up first and then the brick cladding follows. See it all the time around here. Check out the before and after pictures of a new development in Locust Point, Baltimore.

I have one. Check out the older cities.
Attached Thumbnails Apart from the $$$ why do they insist on bldg wooden houses?-100_0521.jpg   Apart from the $$$ why do they insist on bldg wooden houses?-100_1676.jpg  
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:11 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK we had an old victorian house with 15" thick brick walls. Nice and warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Here we have the usual wooden thing with a shed roof. I think there might be some bricks somewhere. My new neighbours have commented several times about how glad we must be to have bought such a "substantial" house and my look of amazement seems to baffle them. When I start to tell them about brick walls and the slate roof we had in England, they just switch off
We are having some remodelling done at the moment and I have been surprised at some of the building materials and techniques. What happened to properly plastering walls?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.