British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   AOS Success in Newark! Happy Day! (Long) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aos-success-newark-happy-day-long-109835/)

christine1438 Jul 25th 2002 7:44 pm

AOS Success in Newark! Happy Day! (Long)

Here is our experience and, yes, I posted on kamya (this is copied from there)

We filed all of our paper through Newark. We were informed that Cherry Hill would be handling our case. We had problems with EAD (see our EAD experience) and did not apply for A/P. We received a notice for fingerprinting (the day before the appointment)June 6, 2002. My husband had to go to Philadelphia for fingerprinting. Received a letter stating that our interview would be 7/23, two weeks prior to the interview, that the interview would be at Newark, and that we would be videotaped. The appointment letter advised us to bring a newly completed medical and the original I-129F approval, NOTHING else was mentioned. We loaded up on proof, had the medical done, brought lots of pictures, letters from friends, bills, bank statements all prior paperwork sent in, etc. We got to the building at 9:45 and it took 15 minutes to get in. Gave the clerk our appointment letter and it was handed back telling us to come back in 20 minutes. Went back at 10:20 and we were called in at 10:35. Fingerprints were taken and we were brought to the Adjuster's cubicle. The Adjuster asked for picture ID for both and proof of a joint life. We gave her driver's licenses, passports, my husband's EAD and copies of bills, bank statements and copies of my health and life insurance from my work. She looked these over (and took the I-94) while asking my husband his address. She then asked me:

Where we were married?
Where and how did we meet?
The first names of my husband's parents.
What did we do after our civil ceremony to celebrate?
I told her that we had a civil ceremony and a Pakistani style ceremony and she asked to see pictures of the Pakistani ceremony, not for proof, but because she was curious. When looking at the pictures she asked me to identify the people in 2 pictures. She asked if she could keep the pictures and put them in the file. She asked me for a copy of my birth certificate. She asked if either of us had children or if we had been married before. Then she gave us a paper explaining how to file for the I-751, stamped my husbands passport and took away his EAD. She explained that he would get the green card in 3-6 months and that he could use the stamp in his passport to leave and enter the US, update his Social Security card and to work. She never asked for anything else, not even the medical (which we spent $250 on, but worth it for the peace of mind). The interview was not videotaped. We were back in our car at 11:00! Not bad!