British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Aos and self employed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aos-self-employed-106259/)

K Jan 14th 2002 2:56 am

My husband just lost his job. There is currently me and my son here, and a friend of ours has told us that he will sponser the affidavit of support. Our friend has 140,000 $ in assets. He lives with his elderly grandmother so there would be me, my husband and my child, himself and his grandmother is that correct? Is the amount that he has in assets enough?

As for the self employment...my husband is thinking of starting a small business. He has clients lined up who wish to purchase from him already. How does the INS look on this? My husband does have the last 3 years of tax returns etc needed for the AOS from his last jobs, but as yet no proof of the business he is intending to run. What would he need?

Advice please?

Thanks

Shelley Jan 14th 2002 5:48 am

A co-sponsor only needs enough money for the members of his household and the
immigrant. US citizens don't need to be sponsored, you are already allowed to
live here.

I can't tell from your post if it is you or your husband that is the immigrant, or if
your son is an immigrant or not - but your co-sponsor would need assets of $91,437.50
for 3 or $110,312.50 for 4. This is using 125% of 2001 poverty guidelines, so sounds
like your co-sponsor has enough assets.

As far as your husband starting his own business, if he is the immigrant, he wouldn't
need to show anything to the INS, because you are the one sponsoring him. If he is
the USC, since you have a co-sponsor, he should need anything either.

Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Liwen Liang Jan 14th 2002 4:17 pm

I think you forgot to mention what kind of legal status your husband has? Do he has
PR, or is he a US citizen? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you can
start a business here in the US unless you has PR or you are a citizen. It has
nothing to do with the tax return.

K <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Shelley Jan 14th 2002 4:35 pm

My husband (a K-1er) started his own business after filing his AOS but before he
became a PR - but he had to have his EAD card. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >

Bea Jan 14th 2002 8:42 pm

Iam a k1er, self-employed, moved my business to the States. I know it makes sense
that I should have an EAD but I haven't had to show it to ANYBODY, and I'm now
finished setting everything up.

"Shelley" <[email protected]>
    >
    >

K Jan 15th 2002 3:47 am

Thanks Shelley

I am the one who needs sponsering as well as my son. My husband is the USC.

Thanks