Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AOS questions

AOS questions

Old Aug 13th 2002, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

craiglester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS questions

My wife and I are about to file for AOS at the Denver Office soon, we are just waiting on her tax transcripts from the last 3 years from the IRS.

I have a couple of questions for the people here..

If I apply at for my 1 year EAD (I-765) at the same time as the rest of the Process (485 etc) will I be able to get my EAD on the day I submit the froms, like I did with my 90 day EAD?

If I dont get the EAD same day, and I'm working, will the fact I've applied before my 90 day EAD expires be enough to allow me to continue working?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help..

Craig Lester
Old Aug 13th 2002, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS questions

Originally posted by craiglester:
My wife and I are about to file for AOS at the Denver Office soon, we are just waiting on her tax transcripts from the last 3 years from the IRS.

I have a couple of questions for the people here..

If I apply at for my 1 year EAD (I-765) at the same time as the rest of the Process (485 etc) will I be able to get my EAD on the day I submit the froms, like I did with my 90 day EAD?

If I dont get the EAD same day, and I'm working, will the fact I've applied before my 90 day EAD expires be enough to allow me to continue working?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help..

Craig Lester
According to http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm
Denver takes 1-28 days to get EAD. At the office I filed it took 1 day (30 mins to be precise). Technically, you can't work while your old EAD expired and new EAD is pending.
Old Aug 14th 2002, 1:35 am
Ben Johnson

Default Re: AOS questions

> > If I apply at for my 1 year EAD (I-765) at the same time as the rest of the
    > > Process (485 etc) will I be able to get my EAD on the day I submit the froms,
    > > like I did with my 90 day EAD?

Depends on the office....most do not have same day service on anything.....but I have
heard Denver "may" act that fast.

> > If I dont get the EAD same day, and I'm working, will the fact I've applied
    > > before my 90 day EAD expires be enough to allow me to continue working?

No, but you do not have to quit either. The purpose of the EAD is for employers to
satisfy the INS, that they are not hiring illegal workers...... I doubt any INS
officer would ever cite an employer for someone in the "gap" such as yourself. You
will, after all, be authorized to work, you are just waiting on the INS to get on the
ball. Besides, unless you do piece work in a sweat shop, you (or your employer)
should not waste a millisecond of your time worrying about it.