British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   AOS interviews (children) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aos-interviews-children-109548/)

Camerican Jul 22nd 2002 4:55 pm

AOS interviews (children)

Even though our interview sheets say not to bring children, smile, the kids themselves are booked for interviews. They are 7 and 9 years old. Does anyone know what we should expect? Is it stressful on the kids?

Rete Jul 22nd 2002 5:17 pm

Re: AOS interviews (children)

You are the same poster that just asked about what to do to adjust status after an impromptu marriage to a USC? If so, then how do you and your children have interviews set up already with INS.

Or are you a troll?

Rete

jeffreyhy Jul 22nd 2002 5:44 pm

You should expect that the interviewer will review the information on the children's I-485 applications with you. Maybe a few simple questions for the children, as they are old enough to converse if not old enough understand the application. Perhaps, as a formality, they will want to children to answer the questions on the form themselves but will allow you assist.

It should not be stressful, unless there is something in the file or that comes up during the interview to raise suspicions.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Camerican
Even though our interview sheets say not to bring children, smile, the kids themselves are booked for interviews. They are 7 and 9 years old. Does anyone know what we should expect? Is it stressful on the kids?

Camerican Jul 22nd 2002 5:57 pm

A troll? ROFL No!

I went in and filed our I-130 and I485 concurrently. On the spot I was given my letter of appointment for EAD for one week later, and our AOS appointments were booked on the spot for November. Kentucky is a great state (KFC buffets AND good INS office) Maybe this is the luck of the Irish!!

My EAD appointment letter says my application for employment authorization has been approved. Does that mean I get the EAD card for sure? I like to know what I'm in for.

Lucky Camerican (methinks)

Originally posted by Rete
You are the same poster that just asked about what to do to adjust status after an impromptu marriage to a USC? If so, then how do you and your children have interviews set up already with INS.

Or are you a troll?

Rete

Rete Jul 22nd 2002 6:16 pm

Yes that is what it means. It is very rare that one does not get an EAD when they file for it in conjunction with the AOS. Now I am curious why you wrote the other post since you have already filed for your adjustment.

Do you have permission from your children's father to migrate them to the US?

And yes, your children have to go to the interview. They are of an age where they can be questioned as to their activities and living arrangements.

Rete

Camerican Jul 22nd 2002 7:03 pm

I wrote to make sure we are ok. The only person who mentioned anything about our marriage being questioned was the guy we consulted a few months ago. The INS person who took our paperwork never said anything about our getting married on a visit. I didn't have any kind of entry document like the INS site itself said I would need, so I brought a copy of my plain ticket and listed which border crossing we were checked through. The INS site itself only gives instruction based on having those VISAS already when you apply, so it left me with questions after the fact. I used the check box for "other" and gave a brief explanation on the form with an attached photo copy of my ticket.
I guess the INS doesn't give out this kind of information like what is written on the great link you gave me, to discourage fraud, rightly so.

Because the children's father was bipolar with drug and alcohol problems, and spouse abuser, I have sole custody and guardianship of the kids, which is clearly stated in the divorce agreement. He had little involvement, but I notified him of the marriage and he agreed to vary access. The vary access order was filed in Canada shortly after we came down here, more for his peace of mind than out of any legal need on my part. He can now visit them for the month of July each year rather than one weekend a month, which he never used in the first place! He agreed to let the kids move to the US without contention.

Sorry for the long post!

QUOTE]Originally posted by Rete
Yes that is what it means. It is very rare that one does not get an EAD when they file for it in conjunction with the AOS. Now I am curious why you wrote the other post since you have already filed for your adjustment.

Do you have permission from your children's father to migrate them to the US?

And yes, your children have to go to the interview. They are of an age where they can be questioned as to their activities and living arrangements.

Rete
[/QUOTE]

Rete Jul 22nd 2002 7:26 pm

Being a Canadian makes the rules of play slightly different than for the rest of the world. Canadian's do not get I-94s in their passport either when they fly or drive. Neither do Americans when we visit Canada. In the last three years I have flown and/or driven across the border so often you would think I was just going to the next state instead of another country.

Once INS sees the nationality of the foreign spouse as Canadian the I-94 issue become moot.

Kentucky might be fast but beware that there is an examiner there from the state of hell and he makes sure that you go there with him for a lovely visit.

You have only to ask Alvena who frequents this site as a guru and/or read her experiences on our experience pages to learn what you up against if you fall within this man's grasp.

AOS filing; AOS, I-130 and K-1 Interview Experiences:
http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

Go to the I-485 experiences/AOS and look for Kentucky. Alvena went through AOS in 1999 with a K-1 in 1998.

Be sure to bring the vary access paperwork with you. It is good that it was gotten after the marriage and not before as it would scream premediation otherwise.

Rete

. Jul 22nd 2002 9:20 pm

"jeffreyhy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Camerican wrote:
    > > Even though our interview sheets say not to bring children, smile, the kids
    > > themselves are booked for interviews. They are 7 and 9 years old. Does anyone
    > > know what we should expect? Is it stressful on the kids? Thanks :)
    >
    > You should expect that the interviewer will review the information on the
    > children's I-485 applications with you. Maybe a few simple questions for the
    > children, as they are old enough to converse if not old enough understand the
    > application. Perhaps, as a formality, they will want to children to answer the
    > questions on the form themselves but will allow you assist.
    >
    > It should not be stressful, unless there is something in the file or that comes up
    > during the interview to raise suspicions.

I agree with that. We had 14 yr old twins with us at the interview, they were sworn
in with me and my husband, only asked to confirm their names, dates of birth, where
they were born, otherwise only had the compulsory questions (have you ever been
arrested, convicted, deported from the US etc etc - the interviewer did direct those
questions to THEM and not to me the parent, but they were 14 so able to understand).
I agree it *should not* be a difficult interview for them if everything is
straightforward.

I seem to remember other posters have stated that children will not get approval of
their AOS until their alien parent is approved even if the child is interviewed
first, but I guess you are interviewing together (?) so this wouldn't arise.

> Regards, JEff
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Lynn A. Jul 22nd 2002 10:20 pm

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Being a Canadian makes the rules of play slightly different than for the rest
    > of the world. Canadian's do not get I-94s in their passport either when they
    > fly or drive.

They will give you one if you ask for it though.

Lynn

Camerican Jul 22nd 2002 10:44 pm

Yes, they have booked our appointments together; they issued a separate sheet for each one of us. I am very curious about this 'examiner from hell'!

Originally posted by .
"jeffreyhy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Camerican wrote:</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> > Even though our interview sheets say not to bring children, smile, the kids</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> > themselves are booked for interviews. They are 7 and 9 years old. Does anyone</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> > know what we should expect? Is it stressful on the kids? Thanks :)</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>></font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> You should expect that the interviewer will review the information on the</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> children's I-485 applications with you. Maybe a few simple questions for the</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> children, as they are old enough to converse if not old enough understand the</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> application. Perhaps, as a formality, they will want to children to answer the</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> questions on the form themselves but will allow you assist.</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> It should not be stressful, unless there is something in the file or that comes up</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> during the interview to raise suspicions.</font></i>

I agree with that. We had 14 yr old twins with us at the interview, they were sworn
in with me and my husband, only asked to confirm their names, dates of birth, where
they were born, otherwise only had the compulsory questions (have you ever been
arrested, convicted, deported from the US etc etc - the interviewer did direct those
questions to THEM and not to me the parent, but they were 14 so able to understand).
I agree it *should not* be a difficult interview for them if everything is
straightforward.

I seem to remember other posters have stated that children will not get approval of
their AOS until their alien parent is approved even if the child is interviewed
first, but I guess you are interviewing together (?) so this wouldn't arise.

<i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Regards, JEff</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> --</font></i>

Rete Jul 22nd 2002 11:56 pm

Originally posted by Lynn A.
"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Being a Canadian makes the rules of play slightly different than for the rest</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> of the world. Canadian's do not get I-94s in their passport either when they</font></i>
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> fly or drive.</font></i>

They will give you one if you ask for it though.

Lynn

At the drive thru the cost is $6 US for an I-94. Most people don't ask for it.

Rete