Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AOS interview scheduled - some advice

AOS interview scheduled - some advice

Old May 4th 2002, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Magellan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS interview scheduled - some advice

Well, after much moaning and whining about the inefficiency of the INS, some of it done on this forum, I received my EAD today, and then got home to find a NOA in the mail for the AOS interview - 6/28/02.

Apart from wedding certificate, wedding cards and photos, shared lease and bills, and the fact that my wife and I have combined our previous names, what other evidence might be required at the adjustment interview ?

Plus, my name is not yet officially changed. The INS say I must preseent an order from a state court showing that I have legally changed it. Is this true, and is so, how do I get that ?

Cheers

David
(feeling better)
Old May 4th 2002, 4:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS interview scheduled - some advice

I take it you have assumed your wife's surname as well as she assuming yours, i.e. she was Ms. Smith and you were Mr. Jones and you are now Mr. and Mrs. Smith-Jones? If this is correct, why does it have to be changed by the state?

Any way, since you haven't been married all that long, bring with you anything and everything that shows you are married and have co-mingled your lives. That could be bank statements, a new lease, utility bills, joint auto insurance, credit cards, employer letters stating your spouse is beneficiary to health, life and 401K plans, cards, letters (all with envelopes if you saved them), wedding photographs. Since so little time has elapsed they won't expect all that much.

BTW did they give you a fingerprint appointment as well.

Rete
Old May 4th 2002, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Magellan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. Our new name is indeed hyphenated. I just don't know if the INS is flexible enough to accept this without some offical documentation. I haven't received notification of a fingerprint appointment. I know that's supposed to happen before the AOS. Should I be concerned.

David

Last edited by Magellan; May 4th 2002 at 8:00 pm.
Old May 4th 2002, 11:40 pm
Mrtravel

It depends on the legal name change requirements in the state. Some states have a
place on the marriage certificate that lets you select a last name. To placate
INS and others, it shouldn't be that difficult to file for a name change via the
court system. You would have to file the appropriate documents with your state's
court system.

Magellan wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. Our new name is indeed hyphenated. I just don't know if the
    > INS is flexible enough to accept this without some offical documentation. I haven't
    > received notification of a fingerprint appointment. I know that's supposed to
    > happen before the AOS. Should I be concerned.
    >
    > David
    >
    > --
    > Brian
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 7th 2002, 12:10 pm
Andy Platt

"Magellan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Plus, my name is not yet officially changed. The INS say I must preseent an order
    > from a state court showing that I have legally changed it. Is this true, and is so,
    > how do I get that ?

Most states allow pretty much random combinations of the spouses names. There is
often no official process for doing this but, of course, if that's what your driver's
license says that's usually good enough for everyone!!! For instance, when my wife
changed her name from Deana Michelle Hoisington to Deana Hoisington Platt, she needed
nothing more than a marriage certificate which gave her maiden name and my name.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.