Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview - A Day's Experience!

Old Aug 15th 2002, 2:05 am
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Default AOS Interview - A Day's Experience!

Well, we are back from Charleston, without the "green card", but not to worry! The interview went well, great in fact! But as I've said, the INS works at their own speed.

We arrived at the INS office at 1:00, (for our 1:25 appointment), the place was crowded, but it appeared that people were moving through quickly. At about 1:15 Petra got called to have her finger prints done, but no one told us that there was forms to fill out, imagine that, forms to fill out with the INS *S*, anyway, she fills them out and we wait.

Appointment time comes, and goes, and goes, and goes..... Finally, about 2:30/2:45 she gets called again for finger printing, both her hands, all 8 fingers and both thumbs. The fellow doing the printing is very exact, and does them several times until he is satisfied he has a master piece! (Finger prints are done electronically, no ink!) Just as he is finished we are called into the interview (about 3:00).

We are sworn in, and asked a few questions, where did we live (when the interviewer learned where we live, and where that was, she wondered what we were doing in Charleston and not in Greer, as Greer is closer, all we could say was "go figure!") where were we born, who our parents are, how we met, when did we first met in person.

Then we were asked what documentation we had brought, out comes the marriage certificate, employment statements, bank letter (which we could not find the original of, thankfully, we had made photocopies of everything, and they accepted that! *whew*) We gave them an updated I-764, papers shuffled back and forth, as she looked at what we had and what she wanted. She ended taking all of the copies we brought.

She proceeds to rip the I-94 (entry permit) out of Petra's passport, and explains to us that it will take about two weeks for the finger prints, and background check to be done by the FBI, and as long as nothing shows up there, we will then get a letter approving Petra's Condition Permanent Resident status! And then in 6 months to a year she'll get the actual "green card".

She writes in Petra's passport that the AOS has been applied for, and tells us not to worry, yea right, just a hand written note in the passport. She does tell us that as soon as we get the letter saying that she is approved we can go to Greer and get her passport stamped. The INS, isn't it wonderful!!??

So, after driving down to Charleston for 3 hours, sitting around the INS office for 2, having a 20 minute interview, and driving back home for 3 hours, I guess we are better off than when we left!

Jon & Petra
Old Aug 15th 2002, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS Interview - A Day's Experience!

Congratulations! So you will get to see the big city of Greer anyway.
Go rest now.
Sweet dreams,
Old Aug 15th 2002, 12:15 pm
Andy Platt

"Petra" <[email protected]> wrote...
    > AOS Interview - A Day's Experience!
    > Well, we are back from Charleston, without the "green card", but not to worry!
    > The interview went well, great in fact! But as I've said, the INS works at their
    > own speed.

Well, congrats on getting through the interview anyway.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Aug 15th 2002, 12:26 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

Thanks, it was an unnerving day, even when thinking back to it, nothing much (INS-wise) really happened!

I would like to add a few things though, that Jon didn't mention in the initial story, and I don't want to withhold you the most funny things that happened!

First of all -of course- I was asked the same list of 'criminal' questions that everyone is asked.

More funny was that we brought a bag full of photo albums, regular albums and our wedding album, but -having read the newsgroup- never offered the officer to have a look at them. When we were almost done with the interview we suddenly remembered them and offered for her to have a look. She smiled, and said "Thank you for telling me, now I don't have to ask". Meaning, she didn't want to see the pictures, but she obviously hadn't wanted to ask for them either *S*

And the most hilarious part of the day, that really made us laughing out loud in the waiting room...

Jon had asked me to remind him to leave his pipe tool and pocket knife in the car, because of security reasons. We don't consider these items a serious threat, but with former visits to the INS (Atlanta) we experienced that some people think they are. Of course I forgot to remind him, so when we had the very brief and almost casual check in the hallway between the elevator and the waiting room, Jon immediately volunteered to leave it with the guard until we returned. The INS office in Charleston is open to the public between 8 am and 2 pm, after that the guard locks the door (I found that out when I stepped out to use the ladiesroom and the guard had to let me back in *S*) Anyway, a short while later his shift apparently ended, and he walked into the waiting room, spotted Jon, and gave him back his pocket knife, and left!! When we had recovered from the amazement, we just laughed so hard that people must have thought we were crazy *S*

Last edited by Petra; Aug 15th 2002 at 12:56 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2002, 3:19 pm
Michelle Marie

Congratulations!!!

-MM

Old Aug 15th 2002, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing your interview story. Congratulations to you both!
Old Aug 15th 2002, 8:02 pm
jay
Just Joined

jay is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: AOS Interview - A Day's Experience!

congrats guys 'n thanx as usual for sharing u'r experience with everyone else
Old Aug 15th 2002, 9:55 pm
Selin Hall

As we just received our invitation to interview from Charlotte office, it makes us
feel better to hear happy-ending stories. Congrats to both of you! Selin and Allan

"mailmena" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for sharing your interview story. Congratulations to you both!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 16th 2002, 1:26 am
Bob Green

And thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Bob In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] (Michelle Marie) wrote:

> Congratulations!!!
    > -MM