British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   AOS interview in Chicago (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aos-interview-chicago-106605/)

Bregoff Feb 8th 2002 9:28 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the processing time for AOS in Chicago right now? I filed my aplication based on K-1 visa on March 2001 and ever since I have heard nothing from INS Chicago. A friend of mine who filed on February had his interview on December.
I have another more important qustion. IS there any way to find out when my interview is besides them notifying me through the mail. Thanks.

B.

K Feb 9th 2002 5:25 am

my husband applied for AOS in chicago in august of 2001. he has not been called for
an interview but just did his fingerprints a few days ago. have you at least gotten a
letter asking you to do fingerprints?

Bregoff wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Shussbar Feb 9th 2002 2:02 pm

My experience in Chicago for Adj of Status :

June 98 : Entered country, got EAD for 3 months at Boston Logan July 4th 98 : got
married Aug 98 : sent AOS, EAD forms to local INS Chicago

Sept 98 : 1 st EAD issued for 1 year Sept 99 : 2 nd EAD issued for 1 year

July 26th 2000 : Appointment for Interview. Went to interview. 10 minutes. Was told
to go the next week to have my fingerprints taken at INS center on Pulaski and
Officer told me that INS then will call me in a couple weeks to have my passeport
stamp as Permanent Resident.

July 28th 2000 : Fingerprints cleared from FBi ( i called them , they say it was sent
back to INS Chicago Aug 5th)

June 2001: Still nothing!! Contacted congressman. Was told then by him that INS will
send me appointment soon

July 16th 2001 : Apointment at INS. Officer said that the officer in charge of my
file moved to another department and my fil was sitting there, with nobody taking
care of it!! He stamped my passport and said that I should get the Green CArd in
the mail within 9 months or so!( like a baby!!). Well game over, I have the stamp,
dont need EAD anymore ( i was tired of sending 100 $ each time!!) At this day , Feb
1 st 2002, i didn t receive the Green Card. I have the officer phone #, i should
call him!!

Bregoff Feb 12th 2002 5:02 pm

I have not gotten any letter or message from them ever, not even a receipt note or a fingerprint letter, nothing.
I got my EAD at least six months later after going many times to the INS office asking what was goin on.
I have been there again this time to ask when would be the interview and why I have never received anything from them and their answer was that I will not receive anything and I can`t ask before 22 months are passed from the date I filed.
I am sick of Chicago office, I don`t know why they are doing that to us and our big trouble is that my husband is leaving on a research trip for a year and I just want to go with him and then just face the situation of not be able to come back.
It is all so painful, I don`t know what we will do.

K Feb 12th 2002 7:25 pm

it sounds like you need to do a detailed search of this newsgroup to find out how far
along others in chicago who filed around the same time as you are. have they been
called for fingerprints, etc? have they gotten greencards yet? if not, then you are
probably just in the same unfortunate boat as everyone else.

it is also possible that the chicago office is attempting to clear up the backlog by
processing more recent cases first - not fair, but it is possible.

i am sure that other more experienced people in the newsgroup may have other
advice...

good luck.

Bregoff wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

K Feb 13th 2002 12:25 am

yes, but as the previous poster noted, interview processing times have changed
quite a bit since you filed in 1998. for instance, some K1ers, my husband included,
who have filed recently have been called for fingerprints within 6 months of filing
and have had interviews within a year of filing. so, it's all a function of when
one has filed.

Shussbar wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >