Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AOS experience--Atlanta

AOS experience--Atlanta

Old Aug 11th 2001, 1:29 am
Just Joined

cmstone is an unknown quantity at this point

Michael and I had our AOS interview today at the Atlanta office. The whole process from start to finish took about 90 minutes. Our interviewer asked to see our driver's licenses as well as an employment letter for me (wife/sponsor). Since I am not employed at the moment, she then wanted photocopies of all of my paystubs/other income for 2001. She also took a copy of our 2000 form 1040(income tax return). We also submitted mortgage, utility bills, homeowners/auto insurance policies, and evidence of joint bank account.

Michael did get his I-551 stamp and was told he'd receive a green card by mail in 3-12 months. If he does not receive one by that time, he is to return to the INS office.

I don't know if my not being employed will cause a problem or not (I'm planning on returning to full-time employment in October); our combined income for 2001 is adequate, but the interviewer did not want to see Michael's income for 2001. Does anyone on this list know the answer to this question--i.e. does any funny business go on between getting the I-551 stamp and obtaining a green card?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 11th 2001, 2:15 am
Grinch

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Approved is approved. No more monkey business.

Grinch

Old Aug 11th 2001, 5:41 am
John Smith

Count your blessings. My wife's AOS interview went well at the Newark office last
month, but she did not get her I-551 stamp. Reason is that she's supposed to wait for
her CIA clearance - which our lawyer confirmed BTW - now it looks like they're BSing
everybody in NJ if what you posted here is correct.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 11th 2001, 11:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the successful interview.

There is nothing to worry about any longer regarding your lack of employment and the green card. The I-551 is the formal acceptance of your husband as a permanent resident. The card that bears is one print and photo and signature is only a formality that is sent to the Service Center and then farmed out to a contractor (in some instances) for the card to be made.

Please post your AOS experience on the appropriate site for others to refer to in the future. Thanks.

Rita
Old Aug 11th 2001, 11:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

John

I understand your frustration but this poster didn't mention anything in regards to fingerprinting for the FBI/CIA clearance. She concern was her lack of currect employment as she is the sponsor.

Hope you hear soon

Rita
Old Aug 11th 2001, 1:36 pm
Grinch

>
    >
    >
    >

What on earth are you talking about. The CIA clearance is based on the fingerprint
check. This has nothing to do with what the original poster talked about.

Grinch

Old Aug 11th 2001, 2:26 pm
Vyshnya

Cool! Congratulations! When did you file? And how long after the fingerprinting did
you get the interview?

cmstone <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 11th 2001, 3:12 pm
Sam McAdams

I had my interview at Newark too - and I'm also waiting for the CIA check.

Have Patience.

Sam M.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Michael and I had our AOS interview today at the Atlanta office. The whole[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > process from start to finish took about 90 minutes. Our interviewer asked to see[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > our driver's licenses as well as an employment letter for me (wife/sponsor).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Since I am not employed at the moment, she then wanted photocopies of all of my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > paystubs/other income for 2001. She also took a copy of our 2000 form 1040(income[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > tax return). We also submitted mortgage, utility bills, homeowners/auto insurance[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > policies, and evidence of joint bank account.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Michael did get his I-551 stamp and was told he'd receive a green card by mail in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3-12 months. If he does not receive one by that time, he is to return to the INS[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > office.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I don't know if my not being employed will cause a problem or not (I'm planning[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > on returning to full-time employment in October); our combined income for 2001 is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > adequate, but the interviewer did not want to see Michael's income for 2001. Does[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > anyone on this list know the answer to this question--i.e. does any funny[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > business go on between getting the I-551 stamp and obtaining a green card?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks in advance![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Christine & Michael Stone[/usenetquote2]