British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   AOS at Dallas.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aos-dallas-105777/)

brianr Nov 17th 2001 12:50 am

Had my AOS at the Dallas INS office today.

Got there at 2:30am. We were 15th in line! By 4am, the line was about 100 people long. Thank goodness for the camp chairs we had with us... concrete is NOT a nice thing to sit on for five hours.

The Dallas INS district office is on the southbound access road of North Stemmons Freeway - quickest way from the south is to take the Mockingbird exit and go round the loop at the next lights. The parking lot (and way in) is at the back of the building. It's supposed to be one way in there, with entry from the front of the building and exit from the lot at the back. Only the first 70 or so people will fit under the awning so if it's raining, BE PREPARED.

6:40am and the line started moving. By 6:50 we were inside the door. Through the metal detector and the line inside went back passed the rest rooms - this was the line for a number ticket. Just 10 minutes more and we were sitting down with ticket in hand.

By 7:30am, we had handed over all the forms and evidence for the affadavit and the AOS itself. I have read many, many stories here about the tons of extra stuff people take with, but we were only ever asked for EXACTLY the stuff it asks for on the instructions to complete the forms. Remember that they take payment in cash, check or money order.

It took four hours of waiting to get called in for the interview!!!! The interview itself was simple enough, the key to this must be (as ever), to get the paperwork done properly and to answer the questions honestly. All of us (me, my K-2 son, my USC wife and the INS agent) were squeezed into an office designed for less than two people and the fun getting seats organised "broke the ice". From there on in, it was easier as we 'related' as people - if that makes sense?

The only problem with things was that our "A" files were still making thier way from central records to Dallas, so she could not give us the stamps in our passports :(

She says it will only be about three days, but with Thanksgiving on the way, I think the chances of it only taking three days are pretty slim. I am happy to be proved wrong on this, but somehow I don't think so!

The last thing done was fingerprinting - done the old way with ink and card - no computerised scanners or whatever!

So now we wait for the letter 'inviting' us back for our passport stamps...

Brian.

Chika Nov 18th 2001 7:16 pm

How long did it take you for AOS interview? I filed my AOS with Dallas office and I
still haven't had my AOS interview yet although it's been over 2 years since I've
filled and since I've been married.

brianr wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Sue Nov 18th 2001 7:50 pm

Chika,

This is the difference between filing by mail and walk-in filing at Dallas.

Filing in person is ONLY available for K1s/K2s adjusting after marriage of the K1,
and it is same-day ie if you are in the Dallas INS area office's jurisdiction, and if
you entered as a K1, you walk in your AOS and get same-day adjustment ie you leave
(if approved) with stamp in passport (as we did) or with approval (as Brian did but
having to go back for the stamp). You get immediate interview, that's why it's called
same-day AOS.

I believe this started in 1999 as a pilot project, it is available for those K1
entrants living in the jurisdictions of the Dallas, Detroit, and St Sault Marie INS
offices. (So if you entered any other way you cannot do the same-day AOS). If you
entered as a K1 and it was 2 yrs ago, I guess it's possible that the same-day project
hadn't started then. But even today, if a K1 mails in their AOS application to
Dallas, they will have to wait for 2-3 years for interview. That's why people here
who are in the jurisdiction of Dallas are so often advised to walk in their AOS and
walk out with it approved same day.

>
    >
over
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Had my AOS at the Dallas INS office today.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Got there at 2:30am. We were 15th in line! By 4am, the line was about 100 people[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > long. Thank goodness for the camp chairs we had with us... concrete is NOT a nice[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thing to sit on for five hours.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The Dallas INS district office is on the southbound access road of North Stemmons[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Freeway - quickest way from the south is to take the Mockingbird exit and go[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > round the loop at the next lights. The parking lot (and way in) is at the back of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the building. It's supposed to be one way in there, with entry from the front of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the building and exit from the lot at the back. Only the first 70 or so people[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > will fit under the awning so if it's raining, BE PREPARED.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 6:40am and the line started moving. By 6:50 we were inside the door. Through the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > metal detector and the line inside went back passed the rest rooms - this was[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the line for a number ticket. Just 10 minutes more and we were sitting down[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > with ticket in hand.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > By 7am, we had handed over all the forms and evidence for the affadavit and the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > AOS itself. I have read many, many stories here about the tons of extra stuff[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > people take with, but we were only ever asked for EXACTLY the stuff it asks for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > on the instructions to complete the forms. Remember that they take payment in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > cash, check or money order.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > It took four hours of waiting to get called in for the interview!!!! The[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > interview itself was simple enough, the key to this must be (as ever), to get the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > paperwork done properly and to answer the questions honestly. All of us (me, my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > K-2 son, my USC wife and the INS agent) were squeezed into an office designed for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > less than two people and the fun getting seats organised "broke the ice". From[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > there on in, it was easier as we 'related' as people - if that makes sense?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The only problem with things was that our "A" files were still making thier way[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from central records to Dallas, so she could not give us the stamps in our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > passports :([/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > She says it will only be about three days, but with Thanksgiving on the way, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > think the chances of it only taking three days are pretty slim. I am happy to be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > proved wrong on this, but somehow I don't think so![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The last thing done was fingerprinting - done the old way with ink and card - no[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > computerised scanners or whatever![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So now we wait for the letter 'inviting' us back for our passport stamps...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Brian.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Check out our K1 web site: http://www.alogic.co.uk/visa[/usenetquote2]
    >

Chika Nov 18th 2001 8:01 pm

No, I didn't enter the US on K-1 visa. I came to the State with F-1 (student) visa. I
guess AOS from K-1 if faster than from F-1? I don't know..

Thanks for your reply, though.

Chika

Sue wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > How long did it take you for AOS interview? I filed my AOS with Dallas office and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I still haven't had my AOS interview yet although it's been[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2 years since I've filled and since I've been married.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > brianr wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Had my AOS at the Dallas INS office today.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Got there at 2:30am. We were 15th in line! By 4am, the line was about 100[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > people long. Thank goodness for the camp chairs we had with us... concrete is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > NOT a nice thing to sit on for five hours.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > The Dallas INS district office is on the southbound access road of North[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Stemmons Freeway - quickest way from the south is to take the Mockingbird exit[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > and go round the loop at the next lights. The parking lot (and way in) is at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the back of the building. It's supposed to be one way in there, with entry from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the front of the building and exit from the lot at the back. Only the first 70[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > or so people will fit under the awning so if it's raining, BE PREPARED.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 6:40am and the line started moving. By 6:50 we were inside the door. Through[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the metal detector and the line inside went back passed the rest rooms - this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > was the line for a number ticket. Just 10 minutes more and we were sitting[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > down with ticket in hand.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > By 7am, we had handed over all the forms and evidence for the affadavit and the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > AOS itself. I have read many, many stories here about the tons of extra stuff[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > people take with, but we were only ever asked for EXACTLY the stuff it asks for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > on the instructions to complete the forms. Remember that they take payment in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > cash, check or money order.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > It took four hours of waiting to get called in for the interview!!!! The[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > interview itself was simple enough, the key to this must be (as ever), to get[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the paperwork done properly and to answer the questions honestly. All of us[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > (me, my K-2 son, my USC wife and the INS agent) were squeezed into an office[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > designed for less than two people and the fun getting seats organised "broke[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the ice". From there on in, it was easier as we 'related' as people - if that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > makes sense?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > The only problem with things was that our "A" files were still making thier way[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > from central records to Dallas, so she could not give us the stamps in our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > passports :([/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > She says it will only be about three days, but with Thanksgiving on the way, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > think the chances of it only taking three days are pretty slim. I am happy to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > be proved wrong on this, but somehow I don't think so![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > The last thing done was fingerprinting - done the old way with ink and card -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > no computerised scanners or whatever![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > So now we wait for the letter 'inviting' us back for our passport stamps...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Brian.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Check out our K1 web site: http://www.alogic.co.uk/visa[/usenetquote2]