Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AOS, Chs SC- still no stamp!!

AOS, Chs SC- still no stamp!!

Old Feb 15th 2002, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road
Default AOS, Chs SC- still no stamp!!

Well we finally went for our AOS interview today (14th Feb) and we were there about 2 hours. The actual interview only took about 20 minutes at the most....we were seen by a lady called Carol something (if you really want to know I have it somewhere!) Gary and I took a big bag full of stuff with us, we were totally prepared. Had bank statements, car insurance, joint car purchase agreement, life insurance etc etc etc....

The immigration officer swore us in and then asked us how we met, we told her on the internet. She then told us the last few couples she had seen had met on the internet and that maybe she should try it herself! Then she thought it was so funny, just the thought of us at the airport not really knowing who we were meeting.....She asked about the wedding, where it was, who was there....

She talked about UK a bit and asked me if I knew Princess Margaret died, talked about Princess Di (of course) and how Prince William was a charmer and was going to break hearts! I was wondering what it really had to do with me and Gary but heck, she seemed to enjoy chatting and telling me how she loved Elton John, why he was called Elton John and trying to remember what his real name is.

ANYWAYS, after all our great research on what to take, the only thing she wanted was ID, my passport, our marriage license, tax returns and letter of employment. That was it! I felt like saying, 'here, take this other stuff cos it weighs a ton'!! I guess after chatting to us a while we appeared to be a bona fide couple ( I hope so!!) so she was pretty satisfied....

Well, at the end of it, thinking that THE stamp was on its way, she goes, 'everything is good but there's a problem'. Gary and I nearly fell out of our seats thinking OMG what did we do!?!? Only for her to tell us that the original file wasn't there! So I asked the obvious Q, 'where is it?!' To which she tapped a few keys on the computer and said it was in Atlanta, it had been asked for but they hadn't sent it yet. But as soon as they got it into Charleston they would send us a letter telling us I could get the stamp. Of course then I had to ask how long it would take....to which she said 'a few months'. Everyone knows the INS's few months is a bit different to what we interpret it to be!! But she said 'oh no, it won't be like a YEAR....it won't even be 6 months' hmmm.....

SO we are kinda approved, but not! Still need that stamp but at least the interview is out of the way....me and the hubby are relieved, but still not at rest LOL...and then we will be waiting for the green card, and then we will soon be filing paperwork again!

ANYWAYS just for all you people who want to know how things went AND a big HEY to the two couples I met at the INS that will be reading this! Things went well....kind of LOL....
Old Feb 15th 2002, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS, Chs SC- still no stamp!!

Well it was crowded in that tent shaped room. wasn't it? I was glad to see you called in to the interview...we took your seats!

We were there to get the year EAD. Had appointment at 11am and Mr Ludo and his magic camera was hopping that day. He had the card in his hand within 45minutes.

We overheard the lady at the desk many times. She is abrupt and not too friendly.

Living on the other side of the state i think we get to do the AOS interview in Greer. But we have a long wait for that, just filed on January 18th.
Old Feb 16th 2002, 12:23 am
Just Joined

buzbee is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, just want to say it was great meeting you yesterday, just sorry that I did not get to meet 'Tara" as we seem to have the same dates for Greer (put my papers in on the 17th of jan).

I am really sorry that you still have to wait for your stamp..does this mean you will have to go back to Charleston and wait in that great waiting room again for hrs..lol

The offer still stands if you would like me to send you some custard powder..just joined "british expats" so we can connect that way.
Old Feb 16th 2002, 2:45 pm
Teeter

I had the same lady examiner, Carol. I'm glad you guys like Charleston. *LOL*

"smartiegirl88" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Well we finally went for our AOS interview today (14th Feb) and we were there about
    > 2 hours. The actual interview only took about 20 minutes at the most....we were
    > seen by a lady called Carol something (if you really want to know I have it
    > somewhere!) Gary and I took a big bag full of stuff with us, we were totally
    > prepared. Had bank statements, car insurance, joint car purchase agreement, life
    > insurance etc etc etc....
    >
    > The immigration officer swore us in and then asked us how we met, we told her on
    > the internet. She then told us the last few couples she had seen had met on the
    > internet and that maybe she should try it herself! Then she thought it was so
    > funny, just the thought of us at the airport not really knowing who we were
    > meeting.....She asked about the wedding, where it was, who was there....
    >
    > She talked about UK a bit and asked me if I knew Princess Margaret died, talked
    > about Princess Di (of course) and how Prince William was a charmer and was going to
    > break hearts! I was wondering what it really had to do with me and Gary but heck,
    > she seemed to enjoy chatting and telling me how she loved Elton John, why he was
    > called Elton John and trying to remember what his real name is.
    >
    > ANYWAYS, after all our great research on what to take, the only thing she wanted
    > was ID, my passport, our marriage license, tax returns and letter of employment.
    > That was it! I felt like saying, 'here, take this other stuff cos it weighs a
    > ton'!! I guess after chatting to us a while we appeared to be a bona fide couple (
    > I hope so!!) so she was pretty satisfied....
    >
    > Well, at the end of it, thinking that THE stamp was on its way, she goes,
    > 'everything is good but there's a problem'. Gary and I nearly fell out of our seats
    > thinking OMG what did we do!?!? Only for her to tell us that the original file
    > wasn't there! So I asked the obvious Q, 'where is it?!' To which she tapped a few
    > keys on the computer and said it was in Atlanta, it had been asked for but they
    > hadn't sent it yet. But as soon as they got it into Charleston they would send us a
    > letter telling us I could get the stamp. Of course then I had to ask how long it
    > would take....to which she said 'a few months'. Everyone knows the INS's few months
    > is a bit different to what we interpret it to be!! But she said 'oh no, it won't be
    > like a YEAR....it won't even be 6 months' hmmm.....
    >
    > SO we are kinda approved, but not! Still need that stamp but at least the interview
    > is out of the way....me and the hubby are relieved, but still not at rest LOL...and
    > then we will be waiting for the green card, and then we will soon be filing
    > paperwork again!
    >
    > ANYWAYS just for all you people who want to know how things went AND a big HEY
    > to the two couples I met at the INS that will be reading this! Things went
    > well....kind of LOL....
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 16th 2002, 5:45 pm
Yair Leibovich

We also are supposed to be interviewed in SC in the future. We are an interracial
couple. Does anyone know whether the interviewing people are usually open-mined
to these types of relationships (I am white and she's African-American)? I am
kind of worried because we don't always get the best reactions when we are in
public, here in SC.

Yair

"smartiegirl88" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Well we finally went for our AOS interview today (14th Feb) and we were there about
    > 2 hours. The actual interview only took about 20 minutes at the most....we were
    > seen by a lady called Carol something (if you really want to know I have it
    > somewhere!) Gary and I took a big bag full of stuff with us, we were totally
    > prepared. Had bank statements, car insurance, joint car purchase agreement, life
    > insurance etc etc etc....
    >
    > The immigration officer swore us in and then asked us how we met, we told her on
    > the internet. She then told us the last few couples she had seen had met on the
    > internet and that maybe she should try it herself! Then she thought it was so
    > funny, just the thought of us at the airport not really knowing who we were
    > meeting.....She asked about the wedding, where it was, who was there....
    >
    > She talked about UK a bit and asked me if I knew Princess Margaret died, talked
    > about Princess Di (of course) and how Prince William was a charmer and was going to
    > break hearts! I was wondering what it really had to do with me and Gary but heck,
    > she seemed to enjoy chatting and telling me how she loved Elton John, why he was
    > called Elton John and trying to remember what his real name is.
    >
    > ANYWAYS, after all our great research on what to take, the only thing she wanted
    > was ID, my passport, our marriage license, tax returns and letter of employment.
    > That was it! I felt like saying, 'here, take this other stuff cos it weighs a
    > ton'!! I guess after chatting to us a while we appeared to be a bona fide couple (
    > I hope so!!) so she was pretty satisfied....
    >
    > Well, at the end of it, thinking that THE stamp was on its way, she goes,
    > 'everything is good but there's a problem'. Gary and I nearly fell out of our seats
    > thinking OMG what did we do!?!? Only for her to tell us that the original file
    > wasn't there! So I asked the obvious Q, 'where is it?!' To which she tapped a few
    > keys on the computer and said it was in Atlanta, it had been asked for but they
    > hadn't sent it yet. But as soon as they got it into Charleston they would send us a
    > letter telling us I could get the stamp. Of course then I had to ask how long it
    > would take....to which she said 'a few months'. Everyone knows the INS's few months
    > is a bit different to what we interpret it to be!! But she said 'oh no, it won't be
    > like a YEAR....it won't even be 6 months' hmmm.....
    >
    > SO we are kinda approved, but not! Still need that stamp but at least the interview
    > is out of the way....me and the hubby are relieved, but still not at rest LOL...and
    > then we will be waiting for the green card, and then we will soon be filing
    > paperwork again!
    >
    > ANYWAYS just for all you people who want to know how things went AND a big HEY
    > to the two couples I met at the INS that will be reading this! Things went
    > well....kind of LOL....
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 17th 2002, 4:45 am
Teeter

Most of the people that work at Charleston INS are black, that lady examiner seems
like half black, but I don't think it makes any difference with INS that you are a
mixed couple. It definitely shouldn't anyway.

"Yair Leibovich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > We also are supposed to be interviewed in SC in the future. We are an interracial
    > couple. Does anyone know whether the interviewing people are usually open-mined
    > to these types of relationships (I am white and she's African-American)? I am
    > kind of worried because we don't always get the best reactions when we are in
    > public, here in SC.
    >
    > Yair
    >
    >
    >
    > "smartiegirl88" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well we finally went for our AOS interview today (14th Feb) and we were there
    > > about 2 hours. The actual interview only took about 20 minutes at the most....we
    > > were seen by a lady called Carol something (if you really want to know I have it
    > > somewhere!) Gary and I took a big bag full of stuff with us, we were totally
    > > prepared. Had bank statements, car insurance, joint car purchase agreement, life
    > > insurance etc etc etc....
    > >
    > > The immigration officer swore us in and then asked us how we met, we told her on
    > > the internet. She then told us the last few couples she had seen had met on the
    > > internet and that maybe she should try it herself! Then she thought it was so
    > > funny, just the thought of us at the airport not really knowing who we were
    > > meeting.....She asked about the wedding, where it was, who was there....
    > >
    > > She talked about UK a bit and asked me if I knew Princess Margaret died, talked
    > > about Princess Di (of course) and how Prince William was a charmer and was going
    > > to break hearts! I was wondering what it really had to do with me and Gary but
    > > heck, she seemed to enjoy chatting and telling me how she loved Elton John, why
    > > he was called Elton John and trying to remember what his real name is.
    > >
    > > ANYWAYS, after all our great research on what to take, the only thing she wanted
    > > was ID, my passport, our marriage license, tax returns and letter of employment.
    > > That was it! I felt like saying, 'here, take this other stuff cos it weighs a
    > > ton'!! I guess after chatting to us a while we appeared to be a bona fide couple
    > > ( I hope so!!) so she was pretty satisfied....
    > >
    > > Well, at the end of it, thinking that THE stamp was on its way, she goes,
    > > 'everything is good but there's a problem'. Gary and I nearly fell out of our
    > > seats thinking OMG what did we do!?!? Only for her to tell us that the original
    > > file wasn't there! So I asked the obvious Q, 'where is it?!' To which she tapped
    > > a few keys on the computer and said it was in Atlanta, it had been asked for but
    > > they hadn't sent it yet. But as soon as they got it into Charleston they would
    > > send us a letter telling us I could get the stamp. Of course then I had to ask
    > > how long it would take....to which she said 'a few months'. Everyone knows the
    > > INS's few months is a bit different to what we interpret it to be!! But she said
    > > 'oh no, it won't be like a YEAR....it won't even be 6 months' hmmm.....
    > >
    > > SO we are kinda approved, but not! Still need that stamp but at least the
    > > interview is out of the way....me and the hubby are relieved, but still not at
    > > rest LOL...and then we will be waiting for the green card, and then we will soon
    > > be filing paperwork again!
    > >
    > > ANYWAYS just for all you people who want to know how things went AND a big HEY
    > > to the two couples I met at the INS that will be reading this! Things went
    > > well....kind of LOL....
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 21st 2002, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

Yair I don't think it will make a difference either- there is a good mix of people working at the Charleston office, you shouldn't have any problems. I am Chinese and my hubby is white and there wasn't any problem.....