British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   AOS Card Emergency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aos-card-emergency-306736/)

Dant3 Jun 3rd 2005 11:26 pm

AOS Card Emergency

I'm posting this on the Visa Forum for double the exposure...either way, hopefully someone can help.

Last month, the head of the HR department asked to see my Permanent Residency Card (the one I got after Adjustment of Status). I explained to her that it had been in my wallet when I lost it last year and I had never got a replacment. I showed her my passport with it's big red stamp saying I'm authorised to stay here till 2006. I showed here the official letter that said I had been successful in my application for a Permanent Residency Card. But she's now playing hardball and threatening to terminate my employment if I don't comeup with that damn ******* card.

Is it possible for me to just get a replacement card from Immigration? Or do I have to go through the whole application procedure from scratch? If so, do I need to submit all the same AOS materials, like bank statements and shit?

Jesus, this is a headache.

candy wy. Jun 3rd 2005 11:34 pm

Re: AOS Card Emergency

Originally Posted by Dant3
I'm posting this on the Visa Forum for double the exposure...either way, hopefully someone can help.

Last month, the head of the HR department asked to see my Permanent Residency Card (the one I got after Adjustment of Status). I explained to her that it had been in my wallet when I lost it last year and I had never got a replacment. I showed her my passport with it's big red stamp saying I'm authorised to stay here till 2006. I showed here the official letter that said I had been successful in my application for a Permanent Residency Card. But she's now playing hardball and threatening to terminate my employment if I don't comeup with that damn ******* card.

Is it possible for me to just get a replacement card from Immigration? Or do I have to go through the whole application procedure from scratch? If so, do I need to submit all the same AOS materials, like bank statements and shit?

you need to apply for a replacement card using form I-90.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-90.htm

candy wy. Jun 3rd 2005 11:39 pm

also try reading here about what your employer can and cannot ask you for to verify you are legal to work.. http://uscis.gov/text/services/emplo...eibulletin.htm

Bob Jun 3rd 2005 11:43 pm

Employer can't sack you for not having the card, you've proved your status, if they terminate you, you can sue the socks off of them....

But you really should have applied for a replacement card straight off the bat..

Dant3 Jun 4th 2005 12:01 am

Shit, I thought as much...another $255 down the pan. Thanks for the help.

NJ_Dave Jun 4th 2005 12:09 am

Shit, I thought as much...another $255 down the pan. Thanks for the help.

$255 or lose your job? I know which I'd go for.

Dant3 Jun 4th 2005 12:13 am

Originally Posted by dbickle

Yeah, yeah, I know. But if they think I'm wasting a vacation day to go get fingerprinted there'll be a ******* war on! :D

NJ_Dave Jun 4th 2005 12:14 am

Yeah, yeah, I know. But if they think I'm wasting a vacation day to go get fingerprinted there'll be a ******* war on! :D

You can just call in sick to get the day off for that :)

Bob Jun 4th 2005 12:16 am

You can just call in sick to get the day off for that :)

and the sick day will be taken out of your holiday paid leave...

candy wy. Jun 4th 2005 12:32 am

he can not lose his job because of his inability to show the green card.

Bob Jun 4th 2005 12:37 am

Originally Posted by candy wy.
he can not lose his job because of his inability to show the green card.

not legally...but he'd still have to sue for it to uphold any real rights...

candy wy. Jun 4th 2005 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Bob
not legally...but he'd still have to sue for it to uphold any real rights...

what he needs to do is educated his HR department that they would be violating the law and it is the employer who will be in the shit. also even if he applies for a new card he is not going to get it in a few days. so i don't see getting the card as the solution to his problem.

NC Penguin Jun 4th 2005 2:09 am

Slightly OT, once you do get your replacement Green Card, take a copy of it so you have an original and a photocopy.

Keep the photocopy in a safe place.

NC Penguin

ScousePete Jun 4th 2005 7:41 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Slightly OT, once you do get your replacement Green Card, take a copy of it so you have an original and a photocopy.

Keep the photocopy in a safe place.

And the original card in an even safer place ;)

kevntrace Jun 4th 2005 8:11 am

Originally Posted by ScousePete
And the original card in an even safer place ;)

Yep - I don't carry mine with me for that very reason - in case I lose it. I put too much damned effort and money into acquiring the rotten thing.

Mine's in a very safe place - a safe. However, the wife always carries hers in her purse.

I just have to remember to get the GC out of the safe before I head off to SFO for my annual pilgrimage. And this year's trip starts on Wednesday :)