Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AOS from Balto-Vermont

AOS from Balto-Vermont

Old Aug 10th 2001, 6:19 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Hi ya'll-
It's me, Beth, happily married to my blokey Paul for about7 weeks now... (see wedding pix at http://www.bethandpaul.com)
Here's our situation for which I'm seeking advice and/or comments-
We applied for AOS right away after we got married. Baltimore is the only district office, as far as I know, that has you send the packet directly to Vermont- which we did by express mail with tracking on or around July 1st... we're still waiting for even a NOA on this. When I sent in the K-1 back in Jan., we heard something just under two weeks later. His 90 day EAD he got when he arrived is due to expire at the end of August. When I called the Baltimore office to enquire I was told we won't be hearing from Vermont for 90 days from day of receipt! That they are really backed up now. That means he will be without work authorization for possibly 2 months. I was given a local number for employers to call at the Baltimore office for verbal employment authorization- but the employer will have to agree that this will be enough documentation. She said they are doing this now because Vermont is so backed up. This also means Adnavnce Parole is out of the question until October at least, and Paul's dad is really ill with cancer, and we were hoping he might be able to go visit him in September sometime. Would it be worth it to contact my senator (again!!- I already contacted them about us getting a police cert. from Egypt whilst his k-1 was pending) or my congressman?
What do ya'll think?
Any good advice?
thanks in advance,
Beth
Old Aug 10th 2001, 6:35 pm
Andy Platt

#1 VSC are what's called "front-logged" - they have a huge logjam in their
mailroom meaning they can't get the petitions through the door fast enough.

#2 The phone-in approval sounds a little dubious legally (how do you express
that on an I-9!) but hopefully his employer will go along with it

#3 Go to Baltimore 90 days after VSC received the EAD request (hopefully you
did send it return receipt or some other way so you can prove this) and demand an
interim EAD. Can't say this will work but it is the law.

#4 AP - Baltimore will do it same day for emergencies but, here's the catch,
you'll need the NOA first!

#5 The senator's office won't be able to do anything because everyone is in
the same position as you (e.g. there is no specific problem with the application,
it's just held up with everyone elses) though you could call to express your
displeasure.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 10th 2001, 9:46 pm
Britinusa

If your thinking of contacting the Senator Mikulski's office you will be lucky to get
a reply. They haven't responded to my last 2 letters and 3 phone calls so I have
given up with them. I have been waiting for my EAD for ages.(applied in Jan which was
denied due the pictues were " a little yellowish" ) I know the other MD Senator
(Senator Sarbaines) is married to a British lady and although his office is a little
slow to respond I find his office more able to provide information. Also it is pot
luck with the staff at Baltimore.When I went to get my temp EAD the officer I saw
didn't have a clue and refused to issue me with one.

As for the advance parole they issue them basically while you wait ( 90 mins for
mine) I went and had a coffee while they sorted it out. You will need a copy of you
reciept for the aos as they asked for a copy of mine. Don't let them fob you off when
you go there.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >