British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   AOS appointment sooner than expected! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aos-appointment-sooner-than-expected-109429/)

Petra Jul 13th 2002 12:48 am

AOS appointment sooner than expected!

AOS appointment sooner than expected!

Today, I drove home from work, and Jon was sitting next to me
in the passenger seat. As usual, we stopped at the beginning of
our drive way to get the mail.

I remembered Tara's post, where she told about the first time
she saw her husband opening a letter without using a letter opener...
right after I saw my hubby get a white envelope from the mailbox,
hop back in the car while ripping it open.

At that time I was still wondering what the big rush was,
he couldn't wait for me to drive up to the house and get inside?
So, curious as I am, I leaned over and saw....
that it was a letter from the INS, with the invitation to our
AOS adjustment interview!!

Strangely enough, we aren't summoned to come to Greer (where we filed)
but the appointment is for August 14, in Charleston!

I'm still a little confused by the events this evening, and right now
I'm starting to get worried because we really hadn't started collecting 'evidence'.
Of course we have tons of pictures, not even counting the wedding album.

Oh well, maybe the officer in Charleston does want to see them,
better put them on the pile of stuff to bring anyway.
Not that there's much of a pile yet, we've only been gathering stuff
for a half an hour now *S*

Wish us luck?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time line:
Filed for K1 - Feb 2001
Visa issued - July 2001
Entering US - August 2001
Wedding & Filed for AOS - October 2001

Rete Jul 13th 2002 1:53 am

Re: AOS appointment sooner than expected!

Congratulations on the speediest of Charlotte's scheduling of your AOS. Guess we know what you guys will be doing this weekend. Remember when you compile that list of items to bring keep the originals in order and the copies in the same order. Give them the copies and be prepared to show the originals.

Later in the game you will need those originals and more for the removal of conditions. Saves you time and trouble to have it already neatly stacked and ready for re-use. Start saving up in a large envelope all the items that come your way the next two years for your I-751 petition 1 year and 9 months from the 9th of August.

Rete

PS I'll nag you about posting experiencing on the 10th of August ... or thereabouts as we will be in Nova Scotia on holiday

tara Jul 13th 2002 4:10 pm

How is the pile going? Have a fun weekend with the papers.
i was hoping for Greer for you two, but Charleston is such a scenic town, it will make a nice holiday.

Ade Shell Jul 15th 2002 7:20 pm

Congrats! :) my hubby and I filed I-751 in 2000 and have yet to get interview.

Just curious, where did you file? We filed at TSC, but they said are case was sent to
Atlanta. Each year we have to go to Atlanta to get an extension stamp on his
Passport. They won't tell us anything in Atlanta, and blame it on possibly backlogs.

Petra Jul 16th 2002 12:58 pm

Thanks for all the congrats... like we had any control over what happened *VBS*
The pile of papers is coming along nicely, I have outstanding requests at all sorts of places right now.

About filing for AOS, there was someting strange about the way that went...
K-1 went through the Texas service center, and that took us almost half a year. Because we didn't want that to happen again, we looked closely at the INS website, and to our relief, we needed to file for AOS in Atlanta. So, the day after the wedding, all we needed to do was enclose the marriage certificate, and mail it. Big was the surprise when we got the package back a week later or so, telling us to file in Greer!
On the INS website there was never anything mentioned about Greer, and we were kinda angry... why couldn't they have forwarded it internally?
Anyway, we made sure that the original papers, stamped and dated by the Atlanta office were on top of the new pile (so noone could blame us later for filing late) and mailed it to Greer... expecting to have the adjustment interview there too!
Of course, the request for my EAD was in the same package, and we had to go to Charleston for that last January, but when the package was returned from Atlanta, we did some research, and came to understand that Charleston did EAD's and stuff, but no AOS...
I guess the INS never stops to amaze us!