British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   aos (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aos-112027/)

ScarlettHill Sep 30th 2002 4:50 pm

aos

i have a question about adjustment of status. my fiance says we can get on a cheap medical programme once i am a 'legal resident'. Am i this immediately after the wedding?

i read somewhere (hunted but can't find it again - sorry) that when you get married you should take your marriage cert directly to another officer to get adjustment of status. do they give you paperwork immediately if you go in person or does it take some time.

thanks very much for your time. sorry if it's something that's already been tackled on this site but i haven't been able to find the relevant info.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Rete Sep 30th 2002 5:04 pm

Re: aos

Originally posted by ScarlettGarrett:
i have a question about adjustment of status. my fiance says we can get on a cheap medical programme once i am a 'legal resident'. Am i this immediately after the wedding?

i read somewhere (hunted but can't find it again - sorry) that when you get married you should take your marriage cert directly to another officer to get adjustment of status. do they give you paperwork immediately if you go in person or does it take some time.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Sorry but you are way way off. Once you are married and as soon as you can get your hands on the registered/certificate copy of the marriage certificate (sometimes takes weeks to obtain depending on where married) you can then file for Adjustment of Status. Unless you came in on a K-1 visa and are using Detroit, adjustment can take from one month to 3 years. You can absolutely NO STATUS other than "pending" adjuster while you are waiting for the interview and INS approval.

As for cheap medical once you are a resident, I don't know your fiancee's career or employer but once you are married, you are eligible to go under his healthcare policy. As for the cheapest of the policy premiums that depends on the employer and the insurance carrier. For instance, Oxford in my old firm cost $25.00 a month for a husband and wife, here in this new office to insure yourself is $25 a month and an additional $632 for a spouse.

Rete

ScarlettHill Sep 30th 2002 5:31 pm

Rete,

Thank you very much for your quick reply and straight talking. Very much appreciated.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Folinskyinla Sep 30th 2002 5:49 pm

Originally posted by ScarlettGarrett:

thanks very much for your time. sorry if it's something that's already been tackled on this site but i haven't been able to find the relevant info.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Hi:

"legal resident" can have different meanings depending upon context. As far as the Immigration Service is concerned, you are not a "legal permanent resident" until your adjustment of status is approved.

However, once you actually file your application for adjustment, you may very well be considered to be "legally resident" for the purposes of your health insurance. Quite often you will see the concept of resident under "COLA" [color of law]. As far as the tax people are concerned, you are considered "resident".

It is something to look into.

ScarlettHill Sep 30th 2002 8:09 pm

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:

Hi:

"legal resident" can have different meanings depending upon context. As far as the Immigration Service is concerned, you are not a "legal permanent resident" until your adjustment of status is approved.

However, once you actually file your application for adjustment, you may very well be considered to be "legally resident" for the purposes of your health insurance. Quite often you will see the concept of resident under "COLA" [color of law]. As far as the tax people are concerned, you are considered "resident".

It is something to look into.

Thanks very very much - this really helps.

regards
-=-
scareltt