Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anything good about living in the USA??

Anything good about living in the USA??

Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:47 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anything good about living in the USA??

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I've never been, can you deal with opinions of people I know who have?

sure I can I want to know what I'm missing...I'm always open to suggestion..tks
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Holy smokes, Eskimo!!! Keep that up and TruBrit will open fire on you. Here she is trying to convince us all that the US is shit, and you're seriously raining on her parade.

Better duck and cover-quick! :scared:
lol no I'm not lol I've just not met any friendly locals...Houston can't help being ugly but the people in any country make it surely??
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Thanks for that and you are right to look at the positives...that's my new yrs resolution :-) I don't compare it to the UK that's not fare. Anywhere I've travelled to I look at the country for what it is and if I want Spain I go to Spain if I want the UK I go there...lol so many Mexicans here you'd think I'd moved to Mexico not the USA..lol We still have a place in Surrey and that's home. Sadly tho' home for me wont be for a good few years unless I go awol :-) Tks for your sensible honest reply, I appreciate it..

Maybe if you didn't want to live somewhere where there were a lot of Mexicans then you shouldn't live in a state that borders on Mexico

I have lived close to Houston for the last 16 years and find it a great city. There is a really good theatre district, lots of concerts. The Houston Opera Society have an excellent season every year and the Cynthia Woods Pavilion is a great outdoor concert venue. The Museums have always got plenty going on as well and there is always the sporting venues, the Houston Astros, the Rockets (but I wont mention the Houston Texans )
I have always found Houston a very diverse and interesting city.

There are a lot worse places to live and over the years we have made some great friends and have always found Houstonians friendly and helpful.

There is a large community of Brits in and around Houston. Have you ever been to the Richmond Arms or the The Stags Head? Try the Black Labrador they have a great British breakfast on their menu. Also go and shop in Rice Village at The British Isles, if you stay in there long enough someone will start up a conversation with you and swap Brit stories
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Come off it. Nobody loves a scouser. Voice only their mother could love.
lol yep us scousers are all loved....we have the best sense of humour going..lol bet yer sorry yer not one....lol tara chuck
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Maybe if you didn't want to live somewhere where there were a lot of Mexicans then you shouldn't live in a state that borders on Mexico

I have lived close to Houston for the last 16 years and find it a great city. There is a really good theatre district, lots of concerts. The Houston Opera Society have an excellent season every year and the Cynthia Woods Pavilion is a great outdoor concert venue. The Museums have always got plenty going on as well and there is always the sporting venues, the Houston Astros, the Rockets (but I wont mention the Houston Texans )
I have always found Houston a very diverse and interesting city.

There are a lot worse places to live and over the years we have made some great friends and have always found Houstonians friendly and helpful.

There is a large community of Brits in and around Houston. Have you ever been to the Richmond Arms or the The Stags Head? Try the Black Labrador they have a great British breakfast on their menu. Also go and shop in Rice Village at The British Isles, if you stay in there long enough someone will start up a conversation with you and swap Brit stories
hmm the reason we live here is not by choice but because it's where the pay check comes...lol...we live close to Rice Village and been to the so called pubs...shopping can be lonesome on your own all the time and guess just havent been in the right place at the right time to meet the people, but I've not given up!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:18 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

sure I can I want to know what I'm missing...I'm always open to suggestion..tks
Everyone I know, both those whose opnions I respect and those that I don't say Houston is a crap place.

Traffic
Heat
Pollution
Violent crime
Bushites

err... dunno about education
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:23 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Why are the guys going on about the size of things in this thread?

NC Penguin
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:25 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunc_b
<<snip>>
People lead very lonely lives here and the tv seems to fuel the isolation - there's no sense of community and everybodys scared od everybody else!
Huh? Maybe it's like that in your part of AZ but I wouldn't say people are scared of each other in my part of NC!

NC Penguin
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:44 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Not being taxed out the yin yan.
Property tax less than I paid in the UK (and when it does go up its pennies)
Cheap gas (even if the mpg sucks)
Winter only last 6 weeks
Warm weather anywhere between 250-300 days per year
Paycheck goes further
Getting a tax refund every year
Being able to eat peaches and strawberries 365 days a year
Service with a smile
Being able to buy Boddingtons cheaper than the UK
Being exempt from property tax when you get to 65
Being able to do things that were unaffordable in the UK
Being 4,000 miles away from some of my relatives lololol
Going into the bank and not having armor plated glass between you and the teller
Having someone carry your groceries out to your car
And finally, if you so wish, being able to bath in Tropicana organge juice and not feeling you have been screwed over the cost.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly seems the big stick is out for Houston on this one!

What is it, some sort of Chav central for the US!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
No, you're right, there's fukk all good about living in Houston.

Now Dallas on the other hand...

People are far more friendly than where we moved from in the UK.
The local Brit expats are great!
The pool is delicious for 6 months per year
We have a lovely, huge house for less than our nasty, tiny home cost in vile Surrey.
Our kids have access to better school facilities, and better after-school activities than they would have had in the UK.
...and much of what Eskimo said about LA without the beaches and Disney Land

Believe me, I know how crappy it can feel living here, but if you dwell on the downside then it's going to make life pretty friggin' miserable, isn't it?
Totally agree about Dallas - love it here. We have quite a few ex-pat friends, but to be honest we wanted to throw ourselves into the States and avoid the ex-pats!! (nice to get together for a sanity check every now and then though!)
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

the world loves us.

Do they?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Honestly, I sometimes think you Brits are weirder than us Americans. :scared:
:scared: You're in for it now! :scared:
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:07 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Um yes theres quite a lot I like about it actually (most are material things though):

- I own a big ass truck
- I own a big ass RV
- I own a house twice the size of what we had in the UK in grounds 4 times the size for half the cost. (Of course this does mean I have to use a lawn tractor but small sacrifices eh)
- I have 250+ days of sunshine per year.
- I live an hour from barbados.
- I live get to explore the USA....if only I had several lifetimes to see it all.
- I get to experience life in another vastly different culture to our own.
- I've met a lot of people I wouldnt have met if Id stayed in the UK.
- I've got more money and less stress now. (granted the stress was high at the start but now we know how to work the systems here instead of fighting them its a whooole lot easier)
- Our daughter gets to do a lot of things she'd never do in the UK.

Out of interest how long have you been here?

F--k me you've changed your tune

As for me with a largish young family there's not much difference, obviously the sun,theme parks, larger garden etc.
I do get lots of young girlies asking me to talk to them and'Say my name' which is nice just wish they'd keep their eyes open when I say it .

I'm sort of indifferent there are places I would prefer to be but there are worse places to be.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 3:13 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Come off it. Nobody loves a scouser. Voice only their mother could love.

Other scousers?
As for all scouser being funny probably because the place is a joke

Last edited by Thydney; Dec 21st 2005 at 3:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.