Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anything good about living in the USA??

Anything good about living in the USA??

Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anything good about living in the USA??

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Think you may have misread me - I wasn't agreeing with the post/sentiment. I was expressing surprise that no-one had come out with it earlier, because it generally gets thrown out very early on in these sort of threads by people that think that because you have moved to a different country you have no right to express any form of disatisfaction with your new home....

Hey Yorkie, sorry if I misread you...prob with not seeing faces..cheers
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:37 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
We had less slaves than the romans not more.
I'd be interested to know where you got your figures. I can't find any real indication. Just for the sake of argument where did you get that information?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Hmm - that was the tone of voice in my head when I read the message - if I misread it (seems theres a lot of that going on) then I apologise.
No theres not too much going on nor do I need an apology but thanks for the sentiment. Really didnt mean to come over in a bad way...just havin' a bit of fun.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:26 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
I found that once the kids got interested in football over here and joined AYSO, I was bumping into the occasional other Expat !

It's a bit drastic jsut to find someone you can tell to bugger off, but who knows.... !
Same here. Gets the expats out every Saturday. Even some that have been here for 30 years. I love it. Wanna talk AYSO?

My son's team just went through to the regionals. They were placed second even though they were undefeated and the first place team had two losses. Shitty points system I say. But they went through tournament weekend like a dose of salts. The winning two teams from that both go on to the regionals so the last game is just for fun as both teams are going through. So my son's team relaxed had fun and hammered the other team 5-0.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You know, guys, what I miss more than anything here in the US of A?

The kind of banter that goes on here.

It's good for my English/British/whatever/WTF soul, but it just isn't the same as doing it for real.

Been here 4.5 years and still don't know a single person who I could tell to get lost/bugger off/get a life/***** off etc.

There are people back in Putney (you know who you are...) who are basically no more than acquaintances, with whom I have more meaningful conversations than I ever have with my 'friends' here.

And I'm in CA FFS. Must be even worse in TX, AL, MS

Ah well...
Oh great, here's my chance...

bugger off twat features!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

SGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol pls don't make me laugh that statement has to be said from people that don't know them...they are some of the rudest loudest mouthed people I've ever met and I've met loads esp when I was a trolley dolly aka cart tart aka lol..hey thanks for making me laugh
Hey trubrit...thanks for painting all americans with the same brush. I really appreciate your unbiased and thorough assessment of my countrymen. You are a credit to your country. Keep up the good work.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:34 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SGTROD
Hey trubrit...thanks for painting all americans with the same brush. I really appreciate your unbiased and thorough assessment of my countrymen. You are a credit to your country. Keep up the good work.
Hey I was waiting for this reaction from a local and so nice to meet you sgtrod and I quite simply take as I find and I know all are not tarred with the same brush coz I'm married to a nice Texan but then they are far and few between but hey if the cap fits then....... oh and cheers and Happy Christmas
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:37 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Everyone I know, both those whose opnions I respect and those that I don't say Houston is a crap place.

Traffic
Heat
Pollution
Violent crime
Bushites

err... dunno about education
you could probably find somebody who'd say the same about any American city you picked out on the map
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

SGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really nice

Hey I was waiting for this reaction from a local and so nice to meet you sgtrod and I quite simply take as I find and I know all are not tarred with the same brush coz I'm married to a nice Texan but then they are far and few between but hey if the cap fits then....... oh and cheers and Happy Christmas
Few and far between. I find that rather funny. Maybe I'm out of line here, but if the negative attitude that you display about americans on this board is the same attitude that you display when you are out on the town, then it is no wonder that people treat you rudely.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Few and far between. I find that rather funny. Maybe I'm out of line here, but if the negative attitude that you display about americans on this board is the same attitude that you display when you are out on the town, then it is no wonder that people treat you rudely.
With that said, I hope you meet people that will treat you with respect and courtesy, and that you will begin to enjoy your stay in this country. Happy Christmas.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

With that said, I hope you meet people that will treat you with respect and courtesy, and that you will begin to enjoy your stay in this country. Happy Christmas.
Hi there! What brings you to this madhouse? I take it you're not a Brit?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hi there! What brings you to this madhouse? I take it you're not a Brit?
I'm an american, married to a wonderful Brit. I love england, the culture, the people. Of course there are things that are diffierent between our two countries, but I enjoy those differences when I visit England.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:49 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

lol pls don't make me laugh that statement has to be said from people that don't know them...they are some of the rudest loudest mouthed people I've ever met and I've met loads esp when I was a trolley dolly aka cart tart aka lol..hey thanks for making me laugh
I reiterate. Americans are known worldwide as being the most courteous, polite, non-confrontational, hospitable people on earth.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:50 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I know all are not tarred with the same brush coz I'm married to a nice Texan but then they are far and few between
That seems a bit harsh...I've lived in the Southern U.S for 9 years and on the whole have found most people very friendly
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:55 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an american, married to a wonderful Brit. I love england, the culture, the people. Of course there are things that are diffierent between our two countries, but I enjoy those differences when I visit England.

Now tell me, how can we bring some of those differences here. You know, get the locals to adopt them?

I'm thinking of the kind of things that go on on these forums - healthy debate, piss-taking, filthy humo(u)r. Do you know what I mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.