Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone working for UN (HQ or agencies) in NYC?

anyone working for UN (HQ or agencies) in NYC?

Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

petally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone working for UN (HQ or agencies) in NYC?

I've been short-listed for a UN job. Just wondering if there's anyone who can tell me from the inside what it's like working for the UN in NYC and a bit more about relocation package, education grants, rent assistance etc etc
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: anyone working for UN (HQ or agencies) in NYC?

Thanks - that was very helpful
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petally
I've been short-listed for a UN job. Just wondering if there's anyone who can tell me from the inside what it's like working for the UN in NYC and a bit more about relocation package, education grants, rent assistance etc etc
Relocation Package, read the wiki for that and NYC, plenty of recent threads on the area you could search out.

Education grants, unless you're a USC or a LPR, there's probably little to bugger all....and rent assistance? Such as craiglist? Or you talking about housing allowance help? Because there ain't any of that.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bob.

I was hoping to get some info on the UN specific package. It's all very complicated and I can't really make head or tail of it but it seems that they have a threshold of a certain percent of your salary that you should spend on rent and if you're in an area with an expensive property market then they subsidise you on what you pay about that threshold. They also pay a certain % of private school fees and I can't figure out what their relocation package includes. I was hoping there might be someone here with UN experience who could help me figure it out.

I lived in the US before (and used to use this site then - funny to be back on it!) so I know the government gives you bugger all if you're not a USC
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Who is supplying your visa to work for the UN? The UN or the US? As far as I am aware UN is not part of the US. It is only based on New York soil but does not pay taxes, etc. to the State or the US.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

You get a G visa, guessing that the UN in NYC is used to handling visas. I haven't actually been offered the job but once I made the short-list, I started thinking this might happen...