Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Work From Home

Anyone Work From Home

Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

kath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant future
Default Anyone Work From Home

Hi everyone,

Anyone work from home .Using the Internet? What is pluses and the minuses ? I get people telling me its a scam. As i have been offered two good deals. So i dont know to go with working from home , else carry on looking for a a career else where. I have sent out 30 applications in two weeks had two offers. One they offered me $4.00 hour . The other one was too far 65 miles from where i lived that one was really good. Please can you give me some feedback on working from home.

Thanks Kath.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Work From Home

you might consider moving closer to the "good" offer you had.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:48 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
you might consider moving closer to the "good" offer you had.
Ditto.

I work from home. I'm a computer programmer. I noodle around on the web when I'm running code, but I don't, per se, work on the web.

$4/hour? Insane.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 12:24 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Ditto.

$4/hour? Insane.

Also illegal isn't it? Unless you are a waiter/waitress and your pay check is bumped up be tips.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 12:40 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Also illegal isn't it? Unless you are a waiter/waitress and your pay check is bumped up be tips.
Yep! Isn't the minimum wage $5.25 an hour?
Old Dec 10th 2006, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

LMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by kath58
Hi everyone,

Anyone work from home .Using the Internet? What is pluses and the minuses ? I get people telling me its a scam. As i have been offered two good deals. So i dont know to go with working from home , else carry on looking for a a career else where. I have sent out 30 applications in two weeks had two offers. One they offered me $4.00 hour . The other one was too far 65 miles from where i lived that one was really good. Please can you give me some feedback on working from home.

Thanks Kath.
I work from home on the internet, as does my husband.

Depends what you want to do whether its a scam or not - if its some great "work from home and you can make $$$" kind of offer you've seen somewhere then maybe. If you're seriously starting a business and working at it then its down to yourself I would think.

It has ups and downs of course. Its great being able to have a lie in any day! Both me and my husband are here to look after our baby. We can take time off whenever we want. If you're not in the mood you're not just stuck there, you can go off and do whatever you want instead.

Downsides are it can be really boring. We live in a small town to its extra boring - might be better if you're in a city. You can also feel isolated, especially as a foreigner if you don't know many people. You also have to be well motivated to work - its very easy to get distracted and not actually get much done.

All in all its great for us as we can be with our baby and can go home to UK and on holidays whenever we want. But we do get bored, luckily my husband has plenty of friends in town - just wished we lived closer.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

kath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies no my line of work is Retail i have been in the industry for 25 years. Fourteen of those where management. When i apply here they say i have too much experience or i dont hear from them.One missed me around kept me waiting for an hour half before they came to interview me. I refused the position.

Thanks Kath.

Depends what you want to do whether its a scam or not - if its some great "work from home and you can make $$$" kind of offer you've seen somewhere then maybe. If you're seriously starting a business and working at it then its down to yourself I would think.

It has ups and downs of course. Its great being able to have a lie in any day! Both me and my husband are here to look after our baby. We can take time off whenever we want. If you're not in the mood you're not just stuck there, you can go off and do whatever you want instead.

Downsides are it can be really boring. We live in a small town to its extra boring - might be better if you're in a city. You can also feel isolated, especially as a foreigner if you don't know many people. You also have to be well motivated to work - its very easy to get distracted and not actually get much done.

All in all its great for us as we can be with our baby and can go home to UK and on holidays whenever we want. But we do get bored, luckily my husband has plenty of friends in town - just wished we lived closer.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 10th 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kath58] When i apply here they say i have too much experience or i dont hear from them.One missed me around kept me waiting for an hour half before they came to interview me. I refused the position.

Thanks Kath.

QUOTE]

Sadly, this is the way they go about doing business here. It's very disheartening, not to mention rude and unprofessional. Just keep on applying for everything, and try and make some contacts and get in the back door if you can.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 12:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kath58]Thanks for your replies no my line of work is Retail i have been in the industry for 25 years. Fourteen of those where management. When i apply here they say i have too much experience or i dont hear from them.One missed me around kept me waiting for an hour half before they came to interview me. I refused the position.

Thanks Kath.

Welcome to the US lol thats the normal my VP does the same thing and I am so embarrassed for the poor people who sit there waiting, but its normal you were lucky it was only 30 mins I waited 3 hours once as the interviewer was in a meeting and then get this, he went to lunch and asked me to wait ............I got the job and he turned out to be a great guy just had no time management which again is the normal here
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:24 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Yep! Isn't the minimum wage $5.25 an hour?

I think you'll find it's actually up over $6 now. I think mimimum wages are national and not by state aren't they?
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:40 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Minimum wage laws differ by state, some have them, but sadly some don't.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

As for working from home, I may soon be doing just that. My wife finishes school in May and we will be moving away from my job. I have been working on a project for a while now, running it from home part-time. At the end of January I'll know if I am on to something after examing results from a trade show in Vegas. Its exciting but also a little scary too.

I would never take a job working from home based on a TV advert. Most of these are scams. They offer 'free' advice for just a few dollars postage and packing, but in the small print if you don't cancel they will later bill the same card $100. Whatever you decide just go in to it with your eyes wide open, and really do your research.

I think you'll find it's actually up over $6 now. I think mimimum wages are national and not by state aren't they?
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kath58]Hi everyone,
too far 65 miles from where i lived that one was really good. Please can you give me some feedback on working from home.

If you have good general admin and computer skills you might try setting up as a part time admin person for sales reps, Realtors, importers/exporters, retired execs and others.Try running an ad and posting on internet sites and notice boards. Drive to the local business parks, hotels etc and leave a card/flyer. You never know who has a need. As a manufacturers rep, I needed a flexi time person to do mailings, phone appts, deal with voicemails by remote, send catalogs etc and I paid $11 per hour but only when there was work. I often had at least 15-20 hours a week and the neighbor I used did this for 2 or 3 other people from her home. My wife did this also for me and others when our first child was born. It's flexible and you could possibly negotiate a small monthly retainer whether there is work or not.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 5:28 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kath58
Hi everyone,

Thanks Kath.
Try this link I have been a member for many years now and did work from home from one of the jobs advertised, she sends you weekly or monthly updates and its full of decent WAH jobs.

PM me if you want more info. http://www.legitworkathome.com
Old Dec 10th 2006, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a federal minimum, which is crap, $5.15 hr I think, and then some states have there own minimum wage, but it has to be higher.

As for job apps, well you've just got to stick with it, it took me thousands of applications and almost two years, in that time, I had a handful of interviews and another handful of job tests...but it was probably worth it in the end, funnily enough, pay ain't to bad for this area hub, but I know I'm getting short changed compared to some others by a fair chunk, but it's work, and I like what I'm doing, so it ain't all bad.

It does get you down when you don't hear anything back, but you can and probably should do things so that you don't get a gap in your resume, which is a big killer, so do voluntary work with whatever interests you, it'll get you out and about and making contacts with people at the very least.

Check out social networking sites and see if anyone you know are members like www.linkedin.com

Don't settle for something that's completely crap, because it's hard to to climb out of explaining shite on your resume..
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
Thanks for all your support and responses. I will take on board what
everybody one has said. I started to do the surveys on the internet. I have decided not to do it. As there something about it that worries me. I got turned down for another two jobs today. One of them said they would leave me in their data bases . To reapply after Christmas.

Thanks Kath.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.