Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Wisconsin?

Anyone in Wisconsin?

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

amyoink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Wisconsin?

Hi there, i'm a New Zealander (Brit website the closest i can get to my own people right now!!) ahah, anyway, i'm on a fiance visa, been here since Dec 07, and finding it really hard. Am contimplating going home as i have been offered an attractive job. Just can't make up my mind, i love my husband so much, but he has said he probably won't ever want to live in NEw Zealand, and I just don't think i can become a 'live here forever' girl! We are in Menomonie, WI, a smallish town, UW stout is here, and i can't find any other ex-pats who could catch up for a coffee or beer
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:35 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Wisconsin?

I'm in Wisconsin!

We live right near the Illinois border on Lake Michigan. Is that anywhere near you?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gingerert
I'm in Wisconsin!

We live right near the Illinois border on Lake Michigan. Is that anywhere near you?
Hey ya! We are only an hour from the twin cities, Minneapolis? not sure if you know where that is. Where you live would be about 6 hours from us, but my husband's grandparents live in Fond du lac, about 1 -2 hours from you, and we visit there quite often. How long have you been living in the states?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:57 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amyoink
Hey ya! We are only an hour from the twin cities, Minneapolis? not sure if you know where that is. Where you live would be about 6 hours from us, but my husband's grandparents live in Fond du lac, about 1 -2 hours from you, and we visit there quite often. How long have you been living in the states?
Hmm... we're right on the other side of the state from Minneapolis but if we were to set something up near the end of April or May then I'm going to be in the Twin Cities for some events and could drop by and say hello!

I've been living in America on and off for about six years, but permanently immigrated earlier this year to be with my USC husband. I'm coming to terms with the whole culture shock thing now, but when I first came over and I was 18 it was REALLY hard, so I kind of know what you're going through.

So you said you've moved to be with your USC husband, huh? How's it going? Whereabouts in New Zealand have you moved from and how long have you been married?

Incidentally... I'm from the UK but I have relatives who live in NZ and have visited before. I know it's not the same as having a home-buddy to talk to, but will I do? After all, I think we're the only freakin' foreigners in Wisconsin!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gingerert
Hmm... we're right on the other side of the state from Minneapolis but if we were to set something up near the end of April or May then I'm going to be in the Twin Cities for some events and could drop by and say hello!

I've been living in America on and off for about six years, but permanently immigrated earlier this year to be with my USC husband. I'm coming to terms with the whole culture shock thing now, but when I first came over and I was 18 it was REALLY hard, so I kind of know what you're going through.

So you said you've moved to be with your USC husband, huh? How's it going? Whereabouts in New Zealand have you moved from and how long have you been married?

Incidentally... I'm from the UK but I have relatives who live in NZ and have visited before. I know it's not the same as having a home-buddy to talk to, but will I do? After all, I think we're the only freakin' foreigners in Wisconsin!
Haha - only foreigners is right!

Well, I went through a big phase of wanting to go home, even had a job offer, so I turned that down yesterday and am going to make more of an effort! I guess you just tend to get into lazy habits when not working and the weather is so cold, you know! So i'm going to make a conscious effort to do stuff to keep myself occupied until my visa stuff comes through and I can work!
We've only been married 2 months, i've been here for 4 months, but had been up twice for holidays. We met in New Zealand, Pete's dad is a New Zealander so he was there on holiday. I'm from Hawke's Bay, East coast on the North Island. So you said you've travelled to NZ before? Where abouts did you go? Where do your relatives live? I'm a teacher, and I always had a sprinkling of Brits in my classes, there seems to be heaps of you lot migrating to NZ!!!

Would love to catch up with you, nice to have someone to talk to who has circumstances in common you know! I think you might even go right past our town, it's Menomonie. Let me know Amy
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha - only foreigners is right!
My girlfriend is from Sheboygan Falls, WI originally so we go there pretty regularly, usually 2-3 times a year. We're moving from London to NYC next week so I imagine we'll be going there even more from now on!

It must be a big culture shock. I find it weird how you pretty much have to drive everywhere or you wouldnt be able to do anything, and I dont like the weather there either...but on the other hand the people are friendly and at least it's affordable. I certainly couldnt live there though, luckily my gf and I have already agreed that the closest we will move to there is Chicago. I'm from London so I dont think I could manage being outside of a big city.

It's true what you say about the lack of foreigners! I feel like an alien everytime I go there...although last time I was there browsing the aisles at Target, I overheard an English woman with her kids. It was a big shock for both of us!

While you're not doing much, why dont you head to Madison for a weekend. Have you been there yet? It's a great town...and it's a LOT of fun.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:32 pm
Ginger Monkey

Pejpm1 is right: Madison is an awesome town. My OH and I used to live there for a while as that's where he did his degree and I completely fell in love with it. Wed probably still be living there now if it weren't for his job, actually, but we make an effort to visit a lot and see our friends. Highly recommended.

So, Amy... no job and no life, huh? I FEEL THAT! Even though I have a green card I still don't have a job and basically sit at home all day going stir-crazy. The SSA has ballsed up my SSN so I'm still waiting for that to come through. which doesn't help the whole job-hunting process, but worse than that, employers don't seem to want to touch me with a barge pole. I think it's the references and job history that puts them off. After all, would you want to call in international number to find out about an applicant if you had three dozen others who were all local? Bleugh.

Anywhoo... shall we set something up? I'm heading out your way for a friend's hen party on April 26th, and for the actual wedding on May 30th. Either of those sound promising to you? Let me know!

When we went to NZ we visited Auckland and Roturua (spelling?). We were only there for two weeks and it was August, so it never seemed to dry out or get warm but our family was fun and we saw a lot of stuff. Wish we could have seen more but there you go! You ever been to the UK?
Old May 17th 2008, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all

Hi there, i'm a New Zealander (Brit website the closest i can get to my own people right now!!) ahah, anyway, i'm on a fiance visa, been here since Dec 07, and finding it really hard. Am contimplating going home as i have been offered an attractive job. Just can't make up my mind, i love my husband so much, but he has said he probably won't ever want to live in NEw Zealand, and I just don't think i can become a 'live here forever' girl! We are in Menomonie, WI, a smallish town, UW stout is here, and i can't find any other ex-pats who could catch up for a coffee or beer
Hi,

I'm in Appleton, WI, and lived in the Twin Cities before here. My wife was born in Menomonie but grew up in Green Bay. We have driven through Menomonie many times on the ways to and from Minneapolis.

I can understand why you're struggling in a small town like that...I am too, and Appleton is quite a big town. I'm sure your Husband has his reasons, but why anyone would choose Menomonie, WI, over New Zealand is beyond me!

Don't know what kind of ties you have there, but maybe a compromis would be to move to the Twin Cities? Great place and a growing expat community. We are contemplating moving back there...

Good Luck!
Old May 31st 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

betsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant future

Hi i am in peshtigo wisconsin (pop 3,000) 40 miles north of greenbay and about 7 miles south of menominee,from manchester origanally,love it here...but the winters are sure long..
simon
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:41 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be in Eau Claire on Monday morning.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:49 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I'll be in Eau Claire on Monday morning.
Lucky her I'm sure.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

betsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant future

never been there