Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone in Washinton DC/Alexandria area

anyone in Washinton DC/Alexandria area

Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:21 am
Just Joined

TLC1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone in Washinton DC/Alexandria area

Hi, I've jst moved to Alexandria a few months ago, I'm working in DC for the next 3 years.
I love it here but I'm struggling with the lack of social life, there's loads of places to go but its no fun on your own, all the people i work with are lovely and we go out occasionally but they are all married with children so often weekends can be a bit lonely and I end up in the gym or shopping just to pass the time
is anyone else in the same boat, any sggestions on what to do?

Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

coachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to allcoachlover1000 is a name known to all
Default Re: anyone in Washinton DC/Alexandria area

I moved to this area about 7 months ago. I live a little way south of you in Fredericksburg, not too far away! I know what you mean about married friends with kids....we're married, but we have no kids.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyone in Washinton DC/Alexandria area

Originally Posted by TLC1980
Hi, I've jst moved to Alexandria a few months ago, I'm working in DC for the next 3 years.
I love it here but I'm struggling with the lack of social life, there's loads of places to go but its no fun on your own, all the people i work with are lovely and we go out occasionally but they are all married with children so often weekends can be a bit lonely and I end up in the gym or shopping just to pass the time
is anyone else in the same boat, any sggestions on what to do?

Hello TLC 1980, look at the DC City Guide Wiki and scroll down to Expat Events. There are several groups that organize events for expats & Anglophiles in the DC metro area. The Washington Expat Brit Meetup Group is a good starting point as they're very sociable and if you don't fancy a pub night the membership messaging and message boards are very useful for networking with other area Brit expats.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:27 am
Just Joined

rowien is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: anyone in Washinton DC/Alexandria area

Hi - I've just moved here from the UK. Currently awaiting the arrival of my husband who is joining me in Summer and plenty of free time at weekends as work with lots of marrieds with children. Contact me if you fancy meeting up for brunch/activity sometime.

Last edited by rowien; Mar 20th 2010 at 12:27 am. Reason: Put US instead of UK!