Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone used Advance Parole lately?

Anyone used Advance Parole lately?

Old Oct 15th 2002, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone used Advance Parole lately?

Hi all,

I received only two copies of the advance parole document from my local INS office. I have just read on another site that usually three copies are given. One for the airline so they allow you to board without an otherwise valid visa, one for the INS and one for me to keep to use for future travels. With only two will the airline just use a photocopy if they need some proof?
Also, I know that there is never a guarentee of re-entry even with the correct advance parole documents but how long might be considered 'too long' to be away? I have not yet had my AOS interview and my adjustment is still pending. Of course I know it is a risk but has anyone experience with returning after 3 months away? I read below a warning to stay away from LAX in terms of a re-entry issue. Although this was different to mine, is there something particularly strict about LAX?
Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 15th 2002, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone used Advance Parole lately?

Originally posted by desusa:
I received only two copies of the advance parole document from my local INS office. I have just read on another site that usually three copies are given. One for the airline so they allow you to board without an otherwise valid visa, one for the INS and one for me to keep to use for future travels. With only two will the airline just use a photocopy if they need some proof?
Hey,

Depending on the INS office, they issue you 2 or 3 copies. I got 2 copies from Detroit. I made extra copies, but I never used them. Also, the airline never took their copy. At first, they didn't want to let me on the plane because they had never seen such a document (it was a French airline...). Even after a lot of explanation (in French), they were still extremely confused, and the only reason I got on the plane (without asking for a supervisor and so on) was because at that time, I still had a valid J1 visa in my passport... The second time, I traveled with my husband and it was a piece of cake, but they never asked me for a copy.

Take care,
Caroline
Old Oct 15th 2002, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Just as a question for my submitting I-131 next year... No matter how many copies the INS provides me, I can make photocopies of it to use as I wish? Do I need to keep at least one original with me so that they can see that as well when I cross the border? I live in Canada and would like to travel between as freely as I am now. This marriage stuff makes it seem like I'm a "criminal" needing advance "parole"... pardon the pun.

Thanks,

Ian

Originally posted by Caro:

Hey,

Depending on the INS office, they issue you 2 or 3 copies. I got 2 copies from Detroit. I made extra copies, but I never used them. Also, the airline never took their copy. At first, they didn't want to let me on the plane because they had never seen such a document (it was a French airline...). Even after a lot of explanation (in French), they were still extremely confused, and the only reason I got on the plane (without asking for a supervisor and so on) was because at that time, I still had a valid J1 visa in my passport... The second time, I traveled with my husband and it was a piece of cake, but they never asked me for a copy.

Take care,
Caroline
Old Oct 15th 2002, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as a question for my submitting I-131 next year... No matter how many copies the INS provides me, I can make photocopies of it to use as I wish? Do I need to keep at least one original with me so that they can see that as well when I cross the border? I live in Canada and would like to travel between as freely as I am now. This marriage stuff makes it seem like I'm a "criminal" needing advance "parole"... pardon the pun.
Well, you can surely make as many copies as you want, but you always need the original when you travel. The copies are for the case when the INS officer at the POE wants/needs to have a copy of your AP. I have read in some posts that people were asked for a copy when re-entering on AP, but I was never asked for a copy myself (maybe they did their own xeroxing ).

Caroline