Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken dogs on AA as checked baggage?

Anyone taken dogs on AA as checked baggage?

Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

AmyEllison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone taken dogs on AA as checked baggage?

Hi I'm new to the forum!

I'm heading off to Ithaca, NY in October for a postdoc with my husband and 2 dogs. I've been looking at companies to fly the dogs but have seen mention of people on here doing the "checked baggage" DIY option.

Has anyone have any experience with American Airlines? I have a staffie and jack russell - already checked they are not on AA restrictions (but staffies are on other airlines as snub nosed so Im a bit worried)

We were planning to take dogs ourselves to cargo to keep down costs with a company. But this seems ideal as we can go into terminal together and get them at baggage claim. Is this right? How is paperwork resolved at US end compared to cargo shipping?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Amy
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone taken dogs on AA as checked baggage?

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move!

Have a search on BE though as there's been a bunch of threads on the subject, one pretty recently got bumped, about trying this.

Guess a lot of it would depend on the size and breed of the dogs....though they would still generally be better off in cargo as it is far more spacious :/
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyEllison
Hi I'm new to the forum!

I'm heading off to Ithaca, NY in October for a postdoc with my husband and 2 dogs. I've been looking at companies to fly the dogs but have seen mention of people on here doing the "checked baggage" DIY option.

Has anyone have any experience with American Airlines? I have a staffie and jack russell - already checked they are not on AA restrictions (but staffies are on other airlines as snub nosed so Im a bit worried)

We were planning to take dogs ourselves to cargo to keep down costs with a company. But this seems ideal as we can go into terminal together and get them at baggage claim. Is this right? How is paperwork resolved at US end compared to cargo shipping?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Amy

As you have a "Staffie" the first thing you need to do is make sure that they are allowed in the Town/City you intend to live in.

There are ordinances against keeping "Bull Terrier" type animals in numerous Towns/Cities, over here.

Jim.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
As you have a "Staffie" the first thing you need to do is make sure that they are allowed in the Town/City you intend to live in.

There are ordinances against keeping "Bull Terrier" type animals in numerous Towns/Cities, over here.

Jim.
And a nightmare finding a rental that'll accept one, never mind two dogs.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And a nightmare finding a rental that'll accept one, never mind two dogs.

Indeed!
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, I understand that the regulations have been relaxed somewhat with regard to bringing dogs back into the UK from the US, but make sure there won't be any problem fulfilling the requirements at that end.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Call them - they'll let you know their regulations. From my experience (Cat, Delta ATL-LHR) they certainly don't allow checked pets internationally because they have to go straight into quarantine procedures until their adherence to the PETS scheme is established.

They only allow them in the hold, in certain sized approved cages, and then only if the temperature at departure and arrival airports are within their acceptable limits.

As always though, mileage may vary. Check with AA.

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 14th 2012 at 7:38 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 10:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Have a search on BE though as there's been a bunch of threads on the subject, one pretty recently got bumped, about trying this.

Guess a lot of it would depend on the size and breed of the dogs....though they would still generally be better off in cargo as it is far more spacious :/
Welcome to BE.

As others have said...could be a problem finding a rental with 2 dogs...especially a Staffie. Check with the local authority if Staffies are a banned breed...also check what type of rabies vaccine is required by NY state. As far as AA...best to call them and ask.

Originally Posted by civilservant
Call them - they'll let you know their regulations. From my experience (Cat, Delta ATL-LHR) they certainly don't allow checked pets internationally because they have to go straight into quarantine procedures until their adherence to the PETS scheme is established.
That's for taking pets into the UK...the OP is going in the opposite direction...therefore there are no quarantine problems entering the US.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 14th 2012 at 10:41 pm. Reason: to add 2nd post
Old Aug 14th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's for taking pets into the UK...the OP is going in the opposite direction...therefore there are no quarantine problems entering the US.
OP is in NY for a Post Doc. Presumably, they will be going back after that.

Jim.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Anyone taken dogs on AA as checked baggage?

Another option is to sail on the Queen Mary 2 liner from Southampton to New York. The ship has 12 kennels. One BE poster went the other direction and arrived in Soton last Friday - with her 4 dogs! She only booked it 5 weeks before moving back to the UK as fortunately there were cancellations for the kennels.

It's actually cheaper to take pets via the QM2 than flying them....it costs approx $500 - $600.

In addition, Cunard has a promotion on right now and there are Westbound crossings on 2nd and 28th October, one way from $795 pp and $40 taxes. You can take as much luggage that you can fit inside your cabin (state room) and all meals for 7 nights:

http://www.cunard.com/Special-Offers/special-offer-1/
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:30 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's why I said 'my only experience' and clarified what it was... if you were paying attention

If she's doing a Postdoc however she'll be coming back.... at that point it will apply.

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 15th 2012 at 7:45 am.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the comments, I have checked the breed issue...just in case anyone else is interested:

New York State is one of 13 states that prohibit discriminatory breed profiling and breed specific dangerous dog laws. New York municipalities with breed specific laws cannot legally enforce them. Article 7, Section 107, Paragraph 5 of Agriculture and Markets law states:

Nothing contained in this article shall prevent a municipality from adopting its own program for the control of dangerous dogs; provided,however, that no such program shall be less stringent than this article, and no such program shall regulate such dogs in a manner that is specific as to breed.

Thankfully I have been in contact with several renters that had no problems with 2 dogs (looking for country homes) but the only issue at the moment is we are trying to secure somewhere too far ahead of arriving...don't want to pay 2 months rent when not there!!!

We will be returning in 2 years and I know into UK it must be cargo for dogs.

I have read lots of the other threads and have seen someone doing checked baggage option with KLM and another got refused with AA for a boxer. I just wondered if anyone else had used AA.

Thanks again for advice.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob

They still go in hold as with cargo shipping (same crate regulations etc), my 2 are too big as carry-on and I could not put up with them on a 7.5 hour flight under my seat anyway!!!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyEllison
Thanks for the comments, I have checked the breed issue...just in case anyone else is interested:

New York State is one of 13 states that prohibit discriminatory breed profiling and breed specific dangerous dog laws. New York municipalities with breed specific laws cannot legally enforce them. Article 7, Section 107, Paragraph 5 of Agriculture and Markets law states:

Nothing contained in this article shall prevent a municipality from adopting its own program for the control of dangerous dogs; provided,however, that no such program shall be less stringent than this article, and no such program shall regulate such dogs in a manner that is specific as to breed.

Thankfully I have been in contact with several renters that had no problems with 2 dogs (looking for country homes) but the only issue at the moment is we are trying to secure somewhere too far ahead of arriving...don't want to pay 2 months rent when not there!!!

We will be returning in 2 years and I know into UK it must be cargo for dogs.

I have read lots of the other threads and have seen someone doing checked baggage option with KLM and another got refused with AA for a boxer. I just wondered if anyone else had used AA.

Thanks again for advice.
Look into getting your pets a Pets Passport before you leave the UK. It will make your pets return to the UK easier.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks JerseyGirl - got them this week with their rabies jabs. Downloaded NY state law on importing dogs just to be sure on any state-specific regs but just says rabies vac and health certificate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.