Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone sponsored retired parents to live in U.S?

Anyone sponsored retired parents to live in U.S?

Old Apr 4th 2004, 8:39 pm
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone sponsored retired parents to live in U.S?

Hi,
Well, if you've read any of my recent posts on this board, you'll already know that I don't feel settled here in the US, but I have many options floating around in my brain.

One is to bring my parents here to be near me. They are all for it and completed the paperwork some time ago, although they don't want it filed yet - they told me they are still considering it though.
The one BIG reason for their indecision is HEALTHCARE / INSURANCE / prescription costs.
So . . have any of you found a way around that kind of stuff?
I've done quotes for them - they'd have to shell out about $350 a month just for health insurance, which they can't afford. They live on pensions, so don't have much income. They own their own property where they live in Portugal (they moved there from the UK after Dad retired) but that's about it. They even said they'd be here tomorrow if it wasn't for the health insurance costs, as they can't see themselves staying in Portugal forever.
Mum's on 4 prescriptions a month, Dad's healthy, but overweight. Is it ok not to have health insurance in the US?
Can Mum get her prescriptions from Canada or Mexico legally?
What if they get sick and don't have health insurance?
Are they elligible for any kind of Government aid?
I would be interested in any success stories along these lines.
Thanks for reading.
Tracy.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not get too excited, I have elderly Parents in the UK as well. Here is what I found:

You have to be Naturalised first

It would take 10 years ish

Mine are both in their late 70's, so if needs be we will go back.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone sponsored retired parents to live in U.S?

[ They even said they'd be here tomorrow if it wasn't for the health insurance costs, as they can't see themselves staying in Portugal forever.
Mum's on 4 prescriptions a month, Dad's healthy, but overweight. Is it ok not to have health insurance in the US?
Thanks for reading.
Tracy.
I don't think even if you could get them here (unlikely) that it would be worth it without health insurance as they would not qualify for any goverment health ins. If they got sick they would have a huge bill to pay, VERY HUGE.
Suzieque
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:46 am

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I am naturalized - the main reason I did that was so I could sponsor my parents !!
Now they say they can't afford the health insurance !!
They are in their mid 60's so the 10 year wait for any government help is way too long for them.
That's another reason I was thinking of going to Australia - they have a similar health care system to the UK.
But . . I have to get my RN first - about another 2.5 years (so I have enough points, then I have to work for at least a year as an RN (points) then I have to apply to Australia under Skilled Migration, get accepted etc and wait a further 2 years before I can sponsor my parents to live there.
Why is nothing easy ??
I went through so much red tape to get naturalized here in the US and now my parents probably won't even be able to afford to live here after all.
Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Tracy.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 4:03 am
Franklin

I sponsored a parent for a Green Card. The process from initial application to interview (of parent) at the US Embassy in London took about 12 months; I applied within about a month of becoming a US citizen. There is a fair amount of paper work to fill out including the usual affidavit of support. The biggest issue is health care. And I found the health issue such a worry that I made a big change in my life to try and earn more money to cover future health bills. I have sent you a PM. Good luck.

Originally posted by Tracy in Texas
Hi,
Well, if you've read any of my recent posts on this board, you'll already know that I don't feel settled here in the US, but I have many options floating around in my brain.

One is to bring my parents here to be near me. They are all for it and completed the paperwork some time ago, although they don't want it filed yet - they told me they are still considering it though.
The one BIG reason for their indecision is HEALTHCARE / INSURANCE / prescription costs.
So . . have any of you found a way around that kind of stuff?
I've done quotes for them - they'd have to shell out about $350 a month just for health insurance, which they can't afford. They live on pensions, so don't have much income. They own their own property where they live in Portugal (they moved there from the UK after Dad retired) but that's about it. They even said they'd be here tomorrow if it wasn't for the health insurance costs, as they can't see themselves staying in Portugal forever.
Thanks for reading.
Tracy.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Apr 5th 2004 at 4:07 am.

Old Apr 5th 2004, 4:28 am

Thanks Patent Attorney !
I got the PM - very helpful info. The outlook seems pretty grim doesn't it !! Well, I think it's great that you're helping to support your Mum and have her over here with you. After all, you only have your parents for a set time, so why not see them as much as poss? I think we'll end up doing something very similar to you. Maybe when I'm a nurse, I can get my health insurance to cover them if they live with us. (it'll have to be a big house, though, as hubby and I like our privacy !!!)
Thanks again - I appreciate your help.
Tracy
Old Apr 5th 2004, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
I sponsored a parent for a Green Card. The process from initial application to interview (of parent) at the US Embassy in London took about 12 months; I applied within about a month of becoming a US citizen. There is a fair amount of paper work to fill out including the usual affidavit of support. The biggest issue is health care. And I found the health issue such a worry that I made a big change in my life to try and earn more money to cover future health bills. I have sent you a PM. Good luck.
That does make a difference and is very very different to what I have seen elsewhere.

It still does not deal witht the health care aspect, for me this if 4 years down the road and they will be in their 80's.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:18 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by Boiler
That does make a difference and is very very different to what I have seen elsewhere.

It still does not deal witht the health care aspect, for me this if 4 years down the road and they will be in their 80's.

Couldn't agree more (re: health care aspect). It was and remains a very big concern.

It should be understood that while it took about a year for my parent to get an interview at the US Embassy in London after I filed the relevant paperwork -> I had to wait five years as a green card ("GC") holder then another 8 months of so to get US citizenship before I could file the paperwork to sponsor my parent for the green card!

Also, it took a few months after the US Embassy Interview (and medical) in London to get the move sorted out (re: moving my parent's furniture to the USA); the parent's GC arrived a few weeks after my parent arrived in the USA. The furniture cleared customs a month or so after my parent's GC arrived in the mail. As "luck"would have it, the agent told us that the furniture was picked for a Custom's Inspection and we owed the Agent a fee to repack it; we did not object or query this, just paid the fee and we got the furniture delivered some time after that.