Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is anyone a spark (electrician) in the US?

Is anyone a spark (electrician) in the US?

Old Nov 28th 2004, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is anyone a spark (electrician) in the US?

We're thinking of moving over and I'm wondering if anyone has made the transition from being a UK spark to the US. Mainly as if you want to join the union it will take 5 yrs, so obviously my better half refused that! So instead, he will get licensed in the city/state and work without being in the IBEW. Has anyone done this or doing this? Any advice will be appreciated!
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone a spark (electrician) in the US?

Originally Posted by Jess5377
We're thinking of moving over and I'm wondering if anyone has made the transition from being a UK spark to the US. Mainly as if you want to join the union it will take 5 yrs, so obviously my better half refused that! So instead, he will get licensed in the city/state and work without being in the IBEW. Has anyone done this or doing this? Any advice will be appreciated!
I thought you were moving to Canada
Old Nov 29th 2004, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

That was a few weeks ago.

But the answers re Canada are similar.

I am sure that it varys considerable by State, so may be best to do a google on the area(s) you had in mind.

I am guessing that there might not be many on this site, laws of probability.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point

We want to go to Canada, just keeping our options open as I am a US citizen. Canada is a tough and long process, but getting a spousal visa for him to go to US will only take a few months as we are eligible to apply at the Embassy in London. 3 months is a lot better than 3 yrs! It may be somewhere to go while the Canadian PR is processed, but we may love living in the States. My mother has friends whose sons are contractors in Colorado and California, so she's trying to see what opportunities he would have there. However, they will all be Americans who are American trained so I was trying to get a British perspective.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Well the guy I was talking to in HD is an electrician, but no work so he got a job in HD, that's CO.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone in Local3 (the local union) in NY. He told me that UK and other European electricians are highly valued in his union as they are normally better trained.

He makes a good living in Local3.

-tom
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:35 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I know someone in Local3 (the local union) in NY. He told me that UK and other European electricians are highly valued in his union as they are normally better trained.

He makes a good living in Local3.

-tom
There probably is some truth in that, I was a sparky in the U.K served a 3 year appreticeship got the city and guilds etc etc the standard in the U.K is very high. The general standard in the U.S is shit! if your not in the union the pay is shit and you get treated like shit.

I lasted about 18 months as a sparky in the U.S got fed up working on the bottom rung of the ladder (basically a electricians mate), although it didn't help when a electrician working above me that was whacked out on wacky backy nearly dropped a 4lb lump hammer on my swede and I decked the twat.

I got "let go" because he was the dope dealer for the boss. I worked for 2 other companies and they were all the same.