Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone see this yet? Exchange rate

Anyone see this yet? Exchange rate

Old Jan 24th 2004, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future
Default Anyone see this yet? Exchange rate

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4037191/

We were planning to go over to England in the summer but we don't have much money, soo maybe not now!
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:01 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

So were we; I was planning on paying off my student debts in a lump sum also, but that's out of the question at the moment, I'd effectively be wasting 30% of my money. At the moment I'm deffered, so that's OK.
Gonna hold out until the exchange rate improves slightly.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 4:24 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading the article, I'd say don't go to london, everything is massively overpriced in london, even cans of coke, £1.75 in london, £0.50 outside london.... even tho the dollar is quite bad for americans, its not too bad from our point of view (coming over soon)...
Old Jan 25th 2004, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

1.75 for a coke in London - did you buy it in Harrods and have it gift wrapped?
Old Jan 25th 2004, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone see this yet? Exchange rate

Originally posted by Steff

We were planning to go over to England in the summer but we don't have much money, soo maybe not now!
I will be looking at staying with relatives, travelling by train and doing virtually no shopping.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:04 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

London is notoriously expensive, always has been...If I was a tourist i'd visit more the more intresting areas of the UK first and then visit London last.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:21 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!

Originally posted by ireland132
1.75 for a coke in London - did you buy it in Harrods and have it gift wrapped?
Horrors, gift wrap? In Harrods? How tacky, surely everyone knows they have those little bag things

Nah just lived nearby and went there lots (London not Harrods), and finding everything dear. Where did you buy discount drinks from?
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:22 pm
spiggle meister

Originally posted by tony_2003
London is notoriously expensive, always has been...If I was a tourist i'd visit more the more intresting areas of the UK first and then visit London last.
Here here, London is not the best of places, full of tourists, buses and pigeons, oh and expensive cola
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:36 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, my comment made no sense...glad you deciphered it lol
Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:04 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I rememer reading that London is the most expensive capital city in the developed world, even more so than Tokyo and Paris, which I think were two and three. That was based on hotel prices, cost of a meal with wine, cab fare, and a few other similar things.

Would definitely agree about getting out of London. Try Stratford for something quintessentially English, then get up to the Lake District, with perhaps places like Canterbury and Winchester for a nice mix between the old and new. One day in London, seeing the sights.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:06 pm
Get em out by Friday

I would also recomend Edinburgh during the festival and the North of Scotland for the most beautiful scenery in Britain
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:30 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Anyone see this yet? Exchange rate

Originally posted by Steff

London doesn't have to be expensive, all the museums are free, fish and chips are cheap or go to a whetherspoons pub and drink cheap ish beer and cheap okish food.

A travel card for the day will cost you around a fiver (9 bucks) and the tube is easily the best and cheapest way around london and you can use it on some mainline trains and all the buses.

If you do a little research you should be able to enjoy london fairly cheaply, like all large cities its gonna be expensive whenever you go.

Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:35 am
spiggle meister

Wow, my comment made no sense...glad you deciphered it lol
Made perfect sense to me!