Reload this Page >

Anyone in SE Michigan?

Anyone in SE Michigan?

Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Essexfolks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in SE Michigan?

Mrs EF here. Just wanted to reach out and see who was about in the area
Although it's essex folks I'm originally a Geordie (and fierce proud of it hinny!)
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:24 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in SE Michigan?

Where in SE Michigan are you?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Farmington Hills, does that count as SE?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Essexfolks is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll end up in Troy - praying the container with all our worldy goods is delivered next week so we can move into our house - but at the moment we're in Farmington Hills in a temp apartment. Is there much of an expat community here or do people tend to keep to themselves?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

kyotokids is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Ann Arbor, a little far from Troy, but I'm happy to catch up with anyone. Sometimes you just need to get things off your chest with someone who gets it, and understands every word you say.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Grand Rapids, originally from the Durham area.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

I have met several Brits here in Ann Arbor, two from my home town and another from the same County, however I met them by chance there is no organised British Expat Community. We don't seem to do that very well, I've lived in the US and Japan and it seems other Nationals/Cultures get organised and get together to honour traditions etc but the Brits, particularly the English I think, tend not to.

The advantage of Ann Arbor is that the University of Michigan does draw an International Workforce so there are many Europeans about. If you want to meet people from Europe I would suggest you search out a hobby most likely to be taken up by them. Meetup.com might have some clubs or you could even try facebook groups. I know here in Ann Arbor there is a Cricket team, Hockey (not ice) etc this type of group is often full of expats.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essexfolks
We'll end up in Troy - praying the container with all our worldy goods is delivered next week so we can move into our house - but at the moment we're in Farmington Hills in a temp apartment. Is there much of an expat community here or do people tend to keep to themselves?

I haven't met any other expats locally - a couple of other British people at my work who also commute in from AA, and one comes from Canton I think. Our subdivision in F. Hills seems to be quite a close knit Jewish community, they keep themselves to themselves and a fair few homeschool their kids. There are only 2 other kids from my SDs school in the same block out of about 30 family sized houses. I think the rest of the similar aged kids go to religious schools.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Hi, I'm in Belleville just off Rawsonville Road I94.

Been here since June 2010. Currently working in Ann Arbor. I love the place, reminds me so much of Oxford where I hail from originally, although I lived the last 20 years on the West coast of Scotland in Fort William.

Haven't ran into anyone yet from the UK.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimandtina2008
Hi, I'm in Belleville just off Rawsonville Road I94.

Been here since June 2010. Currently working in Ann Arbor. I love the place, reminds me so much of Oxford where I hail from originally, although I lived the last 20 years on the West coast of Scotland in Fort William.

Haven't ran into anyone yet from the UK.
I'm in Ann Arbor, originally from Northamptonshire if you ever want a chat with someone from home PM me. I'm here with my husband and 3 kids.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am about 20 miles east of Ann Arbor and planning to go back to the UK sometime over the next 3 years.

Is anyone here planning to go back?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Not exactly planning to go back but trying to decide whether to stay, it's a tough call.

Why have you decided to go back?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

mykiddiewinks is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Grand Blanc, about 40 minutes north of Troy. My hubby works in Troy and there are plenty of Brits around. Troy, Rochester Hill, Grand Blanc big British presence.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:23 am
Just Joined

ex michigan man is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go to the Panera coffee shop in Rochester Hills, the one near Target, on Saturday mornings at about 12:00ish you will see (actually hear) a group of Brits. We meet there most Saturdays for a chat, always looking for new faces.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kyotokids
Not exactly planning to go back but trying to decide whether to stay, it's a tough call.

Why have you decided to go back?
IMHO the USA is not a good place to be as you get older. I have been here 30+ years and never fully adjusted to it. After a while, I learned to accept it, taking the good and leaving the bad. I think Brits think differently about many things and, while it is a good experience for a few years and you can see the countryside, I think the best plan of all is to save the money you earn here, stay for a perhaps 5 years and then go back home. After you have been here a long time, you begin to see it for what it really is. Also, today's America is very different from what it was 30 years ago.

Friendships are much shallower here and people less caring - in general.

I also miss everything British

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.