Reload this Page >

Anyone from Scotland..???

Anyone from Scotland..???

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

velkyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone from Scotland..???

Originally Posted by FlyingBadger
In Edinburgh at the moment, about to move to Boston.

Although I was born here, I was brought up in Reading from the age of 1, so I have an English accent. Which confused the hell out of everyone in the US when I was travelling in my kilt a couple of years ago
Whereabouts in Reading? I lived in Arborfield for a few years (Army brat).
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

FlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really nice

Pangbourne with family, then when I moved out, it was into a shared house with mates in Earley, then bought a flat just off the Oxford Road.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Why ever would you leave such a beautiful city as Edinburgh to come to anywhere in the USA? I did the same thing (not my choice) 30 years ago with my mother and I wish I had never set foot in the place. I am also from Edinburgh.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:30 am
Just Joined

FlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really niceFlyingBadger is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
Why ever would you leave such a beautiful city as Edinburgh to come to anywhere in the USA? I did the same thing (not my choice) 30 years ago with my mother and I wish I had never set foot in the place. I am also from Edinburgh.
As it happens, I'm only planning on being in Boston for a couple of years - it's a work-related thing. That said, I'm always up for new places and experiences so I don't see it as leaving Edinburgh per se, but seeing somewhere new.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

I love Edinburgh I was just there in January when I was home. I miss all the history of Scotland and the Castles. We are moving back to Scotland I have been in NY 5 years almost and I can't wait to go home I do really like New England if it was possible to live there I would.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Syrsa2C is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss Scotland too.. I left in 1974 moving to Sweden first, then on to Florida in 1992. Miss the people and the seasons.. and the spring flowers, the daffodils, crocuses and most of all the snowdrops!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Helen B is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from Edinburgh and moved to Vermont in October with my American husband! We met in Dundee as he lived there for 3 years! I haven't met any other Scot's here yet but I hear there's a great Scottish pub a few hours away from us!

I don't miss Scotland yet but I was talking to my Mum the other day about kids songs and how when we have a family I shall make sure I teach them that great Scottish classic 'You cannae shove your Granny off a bus'.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, looks like there is a thriving Scottish community in Vermont. I found these two websites that you can have a keek at.. Cheers!

http://www.standrewssocietyofvermont.org/
http://www.bonniedoons.com/
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Helen B is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

I noticed the St Andrews Society has a pretty strict admissions policy. You must prove your 'Scottishness' before you can become a member and State your 'Clan affiliation'. Obviously this is not an issue for me and my husband would be able to be a member through me...but I wish they were more welcoming to people who have an interest in Scotland or a distant connection that they want to find out more about. My American husband spent 3 years living in Scotland but would not be welcome to join this society without me.

This does not seem in keeping with our traditional Scottish welcome

My husband pointed out that I can't change it from the outside, so it looks like we will become members!

Thanks for the links!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Oh dear.. that's not the best way for a "Scottish" society to promote Scotland or themselves! Best of luck in whatever you do!
Cheers!