Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone regretted becoming a us citizen

anyone regretted becoming a us citizen

Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:36 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone regretted becoming a us citizen

Originally Posted by Hayley
Huh?? so my son who's dual if he decides he doesn't want the US citizenship he can't ever come back to the US again??
I think at age 18 you are suppose to make a choice and there is no penalty in such a case.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I think at age 18 you are suppose to make a choice and there is no penalty in such a case.
The idea that a dual US/British citizen has to make a "choice" is an urban myth. No such requirement under US law. Nor under British law.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 2:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The idea that a dual US/British citizen has to make a "choice" is an urban myth. No such requirement under US law. Nor under British law.
Maybe this misconception comes from when you fill out the application for passports etc. Also, I wonder what percentage of dual citizens actually comply with the tax filing regulations.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 3:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Maybe this misconception comes from when you fill out the application for passports etc. Also, I wonder what percentage of dual citizens actually comply with the tax filing regulations.
Reading at another forum, it would seem that most of the septics haven't been filing in the UK to the IRS...and it seems many haven't had an issue with it, though I'd hardly recommend doing the same..
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:07 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Reading at another forum, it would seem that most of the septics haven't been filing in the UK to the IRS...and it seems many haven't had an issue with it, though I'd hardly recommend doing the same..
I you are a US expat and don't file taxes I'd hate to deal with the issues this would
cause if you ever returned to the US and started to file again
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I you are a US expat and don't file taxes I'd hate to deal with the issues this would
cause if you ever returned to the US and started to file again
that was my thought too *l*
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wasn't it that that used to be the case? Its understood that it is different now.
I had heard that things changed a few years ago in this respect, no?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gardnma
I had heard that things changed a few years ago in this respect, no?
no.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
no.
Care to expand?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gardnma
Care to expand?
I think it changed in the 1940's or there abouts....so a few years either way
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it changed in the 1940's or there abouts....so a few years either way

Ta.
Well not that it really matters to me.
Just using up company computer time....
Old Nov 30th 2006, 11:36 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If the total of your overseas accounts is over $10k at any time during the year
you have to declare them all to the Treasury on a TDF 90-22.1

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f90221.pdf

Penalty for not doing so can be up to $500k or half the value of the accounts! which ever is the greater.

Accounts means everything, banks, investment accounts, pensions, national savings etc.

So becoming a US citizen has serious taxation and financial reporting implications if you ever plan to return to the UK.

If to go to the UK and convince the UK that you are domiciled in the US there are some tax advantages. Still, unless you have family, retirement accounts, investments or SS payments in the US I'd think twice about US citizenship.
If you have accounts overseas and fill in the form for the IRS are you then required to pay tax on that money overseas or it is just to notify them that you have cash stashed away?? It would seem unfair to be taxed here as well as in the UK.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lynne
If you have accounts overseas and fill in the form for the IRS are you then required to pay tax on that money overseas or it is just to notify them that you have cash stashed away?? It would seem unfair to be taxed here as well as in the UK.
There's a tax agreement with the UK...if your income is less than $80K in the UK, you don't pay tax to the IRS....either way, you won't be double taxed...
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:21 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a tax agreement with the UK...if your income is less than $80K in the UK, you don't pay tax to the IRS....either way, you won't be double taxed...
Income or savings?... Do you mean bank interest on a savings account? That's an awful lot of interest.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Maz
Income or savings?... Do you mean bank interest on a savings account? That's an awful lot of interest.
combined.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.