Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
Absolutely agree with all you said. And then of course the bottom feeding insurance companies offer this great product called...... Long term care insurance. Its a beauty, the perfect slot in to their already suspect array of products. Long term health insurance is supposed to cover those situations your uncle unfortunately suffered. But we all know the truth. IF, and its a big if they decide to pay out, the amount is limited, strictly defined etc. A friend of mine was just quoted between $700 - 1000 a month in premiums at age 53 for long term. Lets just say my tea hit the wall on the other side of the room when they told me this!!

Its the perfect insurance product. high premiums, low payout rate I would assume. Otherwise they would not be offering it...And easily sold because its preys on peoples fear.

Taking into consideration my uncle from the UK had all his treatment on the NHS which he did not pay for, and had his full course of treatment at the age of 76.

American health insurance is Disgusting, unless you have been to another country to compare they will never realise.
It is suprising the amount that comes to the UK for their treatment, pregnant due to have a baby in a week or two have a three weeks holiday in the uk and give birth to their child free of charge! I never appreciated the NHS in the United kingdom until i experienced the health care in United States.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Quoting ExpatBrit regrets on USA:

"I do like the US people, but I do feel sorry for them and how they could have so much more but are sold the American dream which is a dream."

i was just saying this last night in relation to just one aspect of the 'crock' that people here are sold. I am no lover of the 'Messiah.' But can someone please explain to me how it is that Americans continue to deny themselves as they call it 'universal healthcare?'

Recently, I read that 59% of people in the USA still think it is a bad idea!

Why oh why when faced with the choice of always having a safety net of healthcare; not having to fear bankruptcy, denial of coverage etc would you opt for the alternative and say no I want to 'pay through the nose!' And by the way thats the best scenario because if you don't have the $$ your not going to get the treatment without a fight in most cases. I always recall my first visit to a ER department here in the USA where the first and most important question was: How are you going to pay?

Its a bit like saying you can have everything easy but no I feel like taking the hard way? Is this the real american dream?

I understand the arguments. The $$ that are spent by interested parties, drug companies, insurance and healthcare companies to name a few. At convincing people that the 'american dream' is about not having your healthcare provided for but it really is laughable

Surely, the average person must realize they are better off with healthcare? Which leads me to question the basic moral values and cerebral qualities of where I currently reside.

For the record I am a fully paid up member of the 'I'm alright Jack' crowd. My healthcare is fully covered. But I cannot understand why the alleged richest country in the world cannot, and more importantly consistently chooses not to provide healthcare for its own? Particularly when you consider that the politicians here enjoy 'universal healthcare' just like the military??

This has become my main reason for regretting moving to the USA. Some would say stay and change it but as we have just witnessed over the last few years it will not change. The mentality of the society is embedded and stretches over far more issues than just healthcare. As you begin to see once you live here.

When you ask do I regret moving here. Absolutely!! Not the journey, the experiences and things I have learnt have been invaluable but overall I have had the epiphany moment so visible in many others here. It usually occurs I think anywhere between 5 - 10 years of being here and is definitely age related IMHO.
I for one, Brit-born and have lived in America forever (though worked for a time in England, paid into the NHS and made use of, way back in the 60's)..so wish that we had a National healthcare system.

I have a doctor friend, who agrees with that system, as does a few of her co-horts. Problem is..the majority of doctors are against national healthcare, as they no longer would make the extravagant salaries they now make, that allows them to buy million dollar homes, the most expensive cars and top-notch vacations. Many of the youngest and newest doctors are entering the profession, not so much as the ultimate interest in caring for the sick..but more for the *lifestyle* that being a doctor affords. This segment of the American population is another nay-sayer for a national healthcare system.

And how do I really know this...first hand experience..my eldest daughter is a doctor and my 2nd eldest daughter is a registered nurse. My eldest's political views are as different from mine, as night and day ($$$$$$$$ do make a difference). That's not to say she isn't an excellent doc..she is and has a remarkable practice...still, no way, no how..would she give up her wealthy lifestyle, nor would her bum husband and her lazy teen-age sons!! The RN daughter is, on the other hand...all for national healthcare!!!

Most Americans truly have no idea about national healthcare (believe everything negative they hear) and don't bother to do some real, thorough research on the subject, to make an informed opinion on. I have had some real shoddy doctor experiences...all the while paying high premiums for the insurance, waiting 2 or more hours to see the doc and once had a doc actually fall asleep while I was talking to him!!! I had to wake him up!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I have to say I will miss the healthcare I have received here .

I am not talking from an insurance point of view ,but from how I have been treated by the Doctors and Nurses when I have seen them

I gave birth to my first 2 children in the UK ,I thought I had received great care~until I had my daughter here .

What a massive difference !

I also get much better treatment at my local GP here,than I ever did in a thriving S.london practice .

From an insurance point of view though ,I am still horrified that there are some who are denied this 'golden' treatment .

I am very grateful for the NHS ,many working in it are wonderful ...many however, still have a LONG way to go before they are able to achieve the fantastic bedside manner that nearly all the American Doctors/Nurses seem to have naturally .

I know why it works like that here ,still ,it makes a massive difference when you want to be treated as an equal ~ not like a pest when you enter the surgery/Doctor's office

I hope that in the future ALL Americans will be given the kind of wonderful care I have been given ...I really do
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

The CDC reported yesterday, that there are now 50 Million people living in America that are Un-Insured! That is a dirty, rotten shame...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I have to say I will miss the healthcare I have received here .

I am not talking from an insurance point of view ,but from how I have been treated by the Doctors and Nurses when I have seen them

I gave birth to my first 2 children in the UK ,I thought I had received great care~until I had my daughter here .

What a massive difference !

I also get much better treatment at my local GP here,than I ever did in a thriving S.london practice .

From an insurance point of view though ,I am still horrified that there are some who are denied this 'golden' treatment .

I am very grateful for the NHS ,many working in it are wonderful ...many however, still have a LONG way to go before they are able to achieve the fantastic bedside manner that nearly all the American Doctors/Nurses seem to have naturally .

I know why it works like that here ,still ,it makes a massive difference when you want to be treated as an equal ~ not like a pest when you enter the surgery/Doctor's office

I hope that in the future ALL Americans will be given the kind of wonderful care I have been given ...I really do
I have found exactly the opposite, doctors extremely rude and offhand here and don't care how long they keep you waiting. However we do have an HMO plan.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have found exactly the opposite, doctors extremely rude and offhand here and don't care how long they keep you waiting. However we do have an HMO plan.
Wow,I am sorry .

Strange how it differs I guess ...?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:02 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, wish I had your doctors. My experience has been the opposite with one notable exception. The worst thing is the amount of time I have to wait to get an appointment at my GP who is then always running at least an hour late, sometimes two. I also don't appreciate the number of times unnecessary tests are suggested and I suspect kickbacks with one doctor, who will recommend an MRI at a specific facility if you so much as have a foot callous!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wow, wish I had your doctors. My experience has been the opposite with one notable exception. The worst thing is the amount of time I have to wait to get an appointment at my GP who is then always running at least an hour late, sometimes two. I also don't appreciate the number of times unnecessary tests are suggested and I suspect kickbacks with one doctor, who will recommend an MRI at a specific facility if you so much as have a foot callous!
Lol (in a way )

I think all of my dealings here have been child related and obstetrics ,I would imagine that could be why my experiences have always been so positive .

I am happy to run additional tests (if Doctor sugests ) because it has always involved my 'babies '
And,(I suspect) being in the Rural Mid-West helps too .

Out of interest, have you been to GP in the UK recently ?
I am asking not to sound snippy/or to sugest you are unaware but because as the NHS is under such dreadful strain ,one is VERY aware of the allotted 7 min appointment slot !
I am just wondering ...

Just to reiterate though ,I am in favor (totally) for a universal healthcare +a great bedside manner ...maybe I am being greedy?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:13 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol (in a way )

I think all of my dealings here have been child related and obstetrics ,I would imagine that could be why my experiences have always been so positive .

I am happy to run additional tests (if Doctor sugests ) because it has always involved my 'babies '
And,(I suspect) being in the Rural Mid-West helps too .

I am asking not to sound snippy/or to sugest you are unaware but because as the NHS is under such dreadful strain ,one is VERY aware of the allotted 7 min appointment slot !
I am just wondering ...

Just to reiterate though ,I am in favor (totally) for a universal healthcare +a great bedside manner ...maybe I am being greedy?
My own doctor experiences both in the US and UK have been excellent. I just wish everyone could experience the healthcare in the US. 50 million is a lot of people, 2/3 of the UK population.

I know many people in the healthcare profession who are caring an advocate universal healthcare. I really have come to the conclusion no universal is driven by big business interests.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

The British National Health Service is pretty much regarded as "Sacrosanct" here in the UK, and any politicians or political party at Westminster, or at Holyrood for that matter, who attempts to "bugger it all up" by means of any kind of change under the guise of "reform" do so at their peril. My mother has multiple sclerosis and my sister and her husband were involved in a fairly serious road accident and all three of them would sing the praises of the NHS regarding all the care and treatment they received from that organisation, infinitely more valuable than the amount of cash all three had paid into the system through their NICs. The same applies to me on the sole occasion I received NHS hospital treatment for a broken collar bone as a result of an injury playing rugby at school.

If anything really and truly requires urgent reform and change within the NHS here in the UK is the free and on the spot treatment given to all the drunken, drugged up scroats and wastrels who either totter into, or are carried into all the A & E departments of the NHS hospitals by long suffering paramedics to be attended to by the equally long suffering, and frequently verbally and even physically abused, doctors and nurses on duty at the time.

Not before time now plans are being devised whereby such people, attending NHS A & E departments for treatment, should now be legally made fully accountable financially for all of it on the basis that their injuries are "self inflicted" through their own irresponsible, even criminal, conduct.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Lol (in a way )

I am just wondering ...

It's been 10 minutes for a while now
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
It's been 10 minutes for a while now
You are talking about where you are now I assume ?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Quoting ExpatBrit regrets on USA:

"I do like the US people, but I do feel sorry for them and how they could have so much more but are sold the American dream which is a dream."

i was just saying this last night in relation to just one aspect of the 'crock' that people here are sold. I am no lover of the 'Messiah.' But can someone please explain to me how it is that Americans continue to deny themselves as they call it 'universal healthcare?'

Recently, I read that 59% of people in the USA still think it is a bad idea!

Why oh why when faced with the choice of always having a safety net of healthcare; not having to fear bankruptcy, denial of coverage etc would you opt for the alternative and say no I want to 'pay through the nose!' And by the way thats the best scenario because if you don't have the $$ your not going to get the treatment without a fight in most cases. I always recall my first visit to a ER department here in the USA where the first and most important question was: How are you going to pay?

Its a bit like saying you can have everything easy but no I feel like taking the hard way? Is this the real american dream?

I understand the arguments. The $$ that are spent by interested parties, drug companies, insurance and healthcare companies to name a few. At convincing people that the 'american dream' is about not having your healthcare provided for but it really is laughable

Surely, the average person must realize they are better off with healthcare? Which leads me to question the basic moral values and cerebral qualities of where I currently reside.

For the record I am a fully paid up member of the 'I'm alright Jack' crowd. My healthcare is fully covered. But I cannot understand why the alleged richest country in the world cannot, and more importantly consistently chooses not to provide healthcare for its own? Particularly when you consider that the politicians here enjoy 'universal healthcare' just like the military??

This has become my main reason for regretting moving to the USA. Some would say stay and change it but as we have just witnessed over the last few years it will not change. The mentality of the society is embedded and stretches over far more issues than just healthcare. As you begin to see once you live here.

When you ask do I regret moving here. Absolutely!! Not the journey, the experiences and things I have learnt have been invaluable but overall I have had the epiphany moment so visible in many others here. It usually occurs I think anywhere between 5 - 10 years of being here and is definitely age related IMHO.
That "mentality" is one of the main reasons I am planning to go back to the UK. There is such a cloak of denial in the USA. I hear it every day when I talk to people. It's unbelievable! It's almost as if people are afraid to think too deeply about things. They are afraid to open their eyes. Perhaps it is we who are different. This is what they know. It's not what we know.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lol (in a way )
but because as the NHS is under such dreadful strain ,one is VERY aware of the allotted 7 min appointment slot !
I am just wondering ...
We paid $400 a month ins. premium through my hubby's then employer (just him & I)...with a $2000 deductible, copays, the lot. I not only waited over 2 hours to see the doc, I was allotted, not quite 15 minutes.
Once I had the worst doc in the world...and she was female..who was as arrogant as they came. I had the nerve to ask her questions, of which I continued to ask, expecting an answer. I kept asking the question, she would not answer...then she threatened to 'fire' me!! for being non-compliant. I told her no need to 'fire' me...I 'fire' you! I then went home and reported her to my insurance company.
The best doc I ever had was a young Jewish man, an OB-Gyn...he was an absolute delight, terrificly knowledgeable and the best bedside manner ever. Then there was the youngish Irish doc...I swooned every time I sat at his desk! I could have cared less how good his doctoring abilities were..his looks were enough to cure all my ills...
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The British National Health Service is pretty much regarded as "Sacrosanct" here in the UK, and any politicians or political party at Westminster, or at Holyrood for that matter, who attempts to "bugger it all up" by means of any kind of change under the guise of "reform" do so at their peril. My mother has multiple sclerosis and my sister and her husband were involved in a fairly serious road accident and all three of them would sing the praises of the NHS regarding all the care and treatment they received from that organisation, infinitely more valuable than the amount of cash all three had paid into the system through their NICs. The same applies to me on the sole occasion I received NHS hospital treatment for a broken collar bone as a result of an injury playing rugby at school.

If anything really and truly requires urgent reform and change within the NHS here in the UK is the free and on the spot treatment given to all the drunken, drugged up scroats and wastrels who either totter into, or are carried into all the A & E departments of the NHS hospitals by long suffering paramedics to be attended to by the equally long suffering, and frequently verbally and even physically abused, doctors and nurses on duty at the time.Not before time now plans are being devised whereby such people, attending NHS A & E departments for treatment, should now be legally made fully accountable financially for all of it on the basis that their injuries are "self inflicted" through their own irresponsible, even criminal, conduct.
My niece is one of those hard working, long suffering ER doctors (in Scotland). Some of the stories she has told me are unbelievable (although I have no reason to disbelieve her). It appears that the UK (and in particular Scotland) has a serious binge drinking problem. It is a national disgrace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.