Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:48 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

For me, the dissatisfation is not with individuals wanting a bigger house or car. Frankly I don't have many friends here and the ones I do are not like that at all. They can't begin to aspire to a big house because they can barely stay afloat. And that's my beef with this country.

It goes much deeper that individual materialism. I had an epiphany after about 15 years here (I'm slow!) when I realized that the entire culture is a huge cash machine for the use of the wealthy and corporations. It's not a democracy at all - we just pretend it is. As an example, the US spends more money than all the other countries in the world added together on national defense. And yet we're not talking about France, which has been continually invaded and attacked throughout its history, but America, a country that has ever been invaded and only ever attacked twice (and both times in very small ways). The reason is that war makes money and so entire huge money-making machine has sprung up around waging war. Who cares if a few soldiers have to die in far-flung countries? There's money in tham thar hills!

And then there's politics. Nobody will be able to win the Presidency in this country ever again without spending a billion dollars. A billion dollars!! And all that money is spent on getting only 50% of the country to vote - in a good year. 35% the rest of the time.

America is just one giant money-making machine for the rich. Everything is more expensive here than in other places because people have figured out a way to squeeze profit from every inch of everything there is.

And the end result is that the average person is screwed. Worse off than ever before, at risk of losing everything at any time because of one illness, and without any bancruptcy protection if that happens because the big banks have bought and sold congress.

I find it impossible to close my eyes to all that. But even if I wasn't horribly disillusioned by realizing that the American dream is a big lie perpetrated by the rich to rip off everyone else, I would still miss my mum and would still be heading home.

[end of rant!]
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:28 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
For me, the dissatisfation is not with individuals wanting a bigger house or car. Frankly I don't have many friends here and the ones I do are not like that at all. They can't begin to aspire to a big house because they can barely stay afloat. And that's my beef with this country.

It goes much deeper that individual materialism. I had an epiphany after about 15 years here (I'm slow!) when I realized that the entire culture is a huge cash machine for the use of the wealthy and corporations. It's not a democracy at all - we just pretend it is. As an example, the US spends more money than all the other countries in the world added together on national defense. And yet we're not talking about France, which has been continually invaded and attacked throughout its history, but America, a country that has ever been invaded and only ever attacked twice (and both times in very small ways). The reason is that war makes money and so entire huge money-making machine has sprung up around waging war. Who cares if a few soldiers have to die in far-flung countries? There's money in tham thar hills!

And then there's politics. Nobody will be able to win the Presidency in this country ever again without spending a billion dollars. A billion dollars!! And all that money is spent on getting only 50% of the country to vote - in a good year. 35% the rest of the time.

America is just one giant money-making machine for the rich. Everything is more expensive here than in other places because people have figured out a way to squeeze profit from every inch of everything there is.

And the end result is that the average person is screwed. Worse off than ever before, at risk of losing everything at any time because of one illness, and without any bancruptcy protection if that happens because the big banks have bought and sold congress.

I find it impossible to close my eyes to all that. But even if I wasn't horribly disillusioned by realizing that the American dream is a big lie perpetrated by the rich to rip off everyone else, I would still miss my mum and would still be heading home.

[end of rant!]
UYou know its really quite scary because just this weekend I had almost the same rant to somebody about the USA
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmattE
Yeah the whole greed of America makes me sick. Who has the biggest house, the biggest car, all that nonsense. Just fake superficial rubbish.
Pretty similar stuff in the Notting Hill area of London so I understand. Buying a house is about image!?!?

Let's not forget that the reason there was an explosion of credit card debt in the US was mostly due to this - keeping up with the Joneses (at all costs)....apart from receiving twenty unsolicited credit cards in the mail no questions asked that is.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:01 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here for love, and I thought it would be a grand adventure. I didn't bank on years and years of financial hardship and feeling isolated and displaced. Its been an incredible experience and I've learned a hell of a lot, but essentially there's been way too many difficult times that don't balance out the good.
Again, if I'd known then what I know now, I'd probably settle for living in the UK and visiting the US for nice long holidays.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:34 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah
I moved here for love, and I thought it would be a grand adventure. I didn't bank on years and years of financial hardship and feeling isolated and displaced. Its been an incredible experience and I've learned a hell of a lot, but essentially there's been way too many difficult times that don't balance out the good.
Again, if I'd known then what I know now, I'd probably settle for living in the UK and visiting the US for nice long holidays.
Isn't that the truth. Love brought me as well, oh well
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Is there anyone who has regret moving to united States ?
Nah not really. Wife is pleased as punch to be back in New England; I get to work from home. Having all the snow dumped on the house sucked this winter but I got to build some decent snow sculptures in the backyard and go sledging.

Originally Posted by bigmattE
Yeah the whole greed of America makes me sick. Who has the biggest house, the biggest car, all that nonsense. Just fake superficial rubbish.
It was like that in the UK - especially during the boom years in the South East and where I lived in the suburbs of London. Who knows maybe Austerity has chilled the atmosphere a bit. I think in both countries there was something akin to an orgasm of greed from the end of the dot-com boom to when the shite hit the fan in 2008 and the kind of materialism you are talking about was rampant.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

[end of rant!]
Do you read minds??? These have been my same thoughts and of 3 of my 4 American-born children....for quite a few years now. Just last night talking to a life-time long friend...I pretty much said the same as you.."by realizing that the American dream is a big lie perpetrated by the rich to rip off everyone else". I have lived in America for close to 60 years now..once upon a time, yes I do believe one could achieve the "American Dream" without selling your soul and compromising your courage of conviction. Not so much anymore.
BTW.... I enjoyed your 'rant'!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
Isn't that the truth. Love brought me as well, oh well
So it was for me as well. My 'love' was back in the states (1966). I returned, we married, had our children and grandchildren. My guy passed away not 2 years ago.
I was offered a fine opportunity when I worked for Nestle Ltd. in Croydon back in 1965, but I declined, as I just had to get back here. Have often wondered over the years 'what if' I had taken that opportunity with Nestle..what would my life look like today? O! Well .... would'of, could'of, should'of. and the beat goes on!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
BTW.... I enjoyed your 'rant'!
Thanks - most people just roll their eyes and politely wait for me to shut up

Nice to meet a kindred spirit!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

RPorter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - most people just roll their eyes and politely wait for me to shut up

Nice to meet a kindred spirit!
I can't even tell you how much your 'rant' hit home. You said word for word what my poor hubby thinks. I don't disagree with any of it really. One of the reasons hubby and I get along so well.

You have many that will agree with your thoughts as well as many who may not. What we see is all subjective in the end.

Now if only hubby and I could afford to get back to the UK sooner rather than later.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

the entire culture is a huge cash machine for the use of the wealthy and corporations. It's not a democracy at all - we just pretend it is.
Certain British newspapers are saying pretty much the same thing under the Tories and as was under Blair.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ry?INTCMP=SRCH

The whole "show" is being run for the benefit of big business and the politicians who are for the most part millionaires due to their own direct or indirect (thru family) participation in big business. Of course in addition, the big corporations are being given carte blanche by the Tories as they are their principal party donors.

The Big Society plans put forward by Cameron are considered a cynical attempt to create the illusion that the party actually care about the average Tom Dick & Harry or (Jane).

Like USA Like UK!

No democracy in sight!

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 17th 2011 at 3:47 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:44 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Where's Rosie - video of Frome in the news today!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...=ILCNETTXT3486
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

mick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nice

I moved here for love to, i never thought i would be homesick, but 8 years later i have the urge to move back home, I have enjoyed my time here but I'm really missing my family and friends. I regret not being there in the last few months that my Dad was alive, missed not being there at the end for him even though i managed to get back for one last visit.
So now I'm torn between my family here in the US and my family back home.
I think that might be part of the problem here doesn't feel like home, every time I land at Heathrow that's me coming home, I have friends here but nothing like my friends in the UK.
Not sure what the future holds but I want the feeling of being home again. If i did it all again I probably would of stayed in the UK, But you have to take every chance you get and try it just to see what happens I guess.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:39 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by Mallory
Where's Rosie - video of Frome in the news today!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...=ILCNETTXT3486
What a lovely little town!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:52 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely little town!
It is! I hope they keep the big box store out.

I accidentally posted in the wrong thread. I wondered if Rosie and Barb recognized anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.