Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Actually, the UK ranks much higher than the US according to the world health organization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO%27s...h_care_systems

The US is ranked #37 while the UK #18.

To achieve those dire results, the US spends more than any other country on earth per capita. (UK is 26th in terms of per capita costs).

Last edited by sallysimmons; Feb 7th 2011 at 4:45 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice

American survival rates for cancer specifically are higher than UK, especially breast, prostate, colon. All benefit from early screening. I'm not saying US health system is perfect, but quite frankly I am glad I am here to get my regular mammograms and other screenings. My mother in law survived several years with a rare cancer because she was eligible to receive trial drugs that are not approved under NHS. Medicare paid for all of it.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2passports
American survival rates for cancer specifically are higher than UK, especially breast, prostate, colon. All benefit from early screening. I'm not saying US health system is perfect, but quite frankly I am glad I am here to get my regular mammograms and other screenings. My mother in law survived several years with a rare cancer because she was eligible to receive trial drugs that are not approved under NHS. Medicare paid for all of it.
Such comparisons aren't always that simple though, especially for prostate cancer, as highlighted by this article:

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk....k-cancer-care/

I do think the US generally excels in cancer detection and treatment though (assuming you have good insurance and/or loads of $$$). It's in other more basic areas that it completely misses the boat, despite paying a bigger share of its GDP in healthcare than any other nation.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 7th 2011 at 5:13 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Over the past 5 years back and for to Texas i compare health Insurance
APPALLING, You do not get what you pay for!
You fall into the hands of a bad doctor he does not want to treat you as he wants you back in another week or two for another co pay and insurance payment. For the past 25 years my fiance has had hepatitis c and only been diagnosed 2 years ago, a rheumatologist stated why she was never sent for blood test for hepatitis c with all the symptoms she has is unbelievable.

Last year she had pains in her back, paid for a Ct scan and found a stone in her right kidney, two weeks later had a Lithotrypsy to break it up, and eventually flushed out.

Then caught infection and once phoned Urologist office the nurse could not believe she was sent home with No antibiotics.

Two weeks later still in pain, sent for another CT scan and found another stone in her same kidney,

DO NOT TELL ME THE UROLOGIST NEVER SEEN THIS 2ND STONE IN THE SAME KIDNEY TWO WEEKS AGO, JUST DID NOT WANT TO TAKE IT OUT, KNOWING SHE WILL BE BACK AND GET PAID A 2ND TIME.

This time she had it removed with utensil rather than pay again for another lithotrypsy, she had the second stone removed and stent inserted.
Met her urologist leaving the hospital and still never prescribed antibiotics i explained what happened last time she was not prescribed any she caught infection! he returned to hospital to write a prescription.

She was advised she will be a bit uncomfortable for 2 days, apparently could not sit upright from day one after 5 days i rushed her into Emergency
Xray showed the stent had dropped and was scrapping her bladder, which created her pain.
personally i believe it was not inserted correctly in the first place as she would be in comfort after the second day.

Paying $1000's to be treated like this in the United States.

Last edited by cliff1961; Feb 7th 2011 at 5:46 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Such comparisons aren't always that simple though, especially for prostate cancer, as highlighted by this article:

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk....k-cancer-care/

I do think the US generally excels in cancer detection and treatment though (assuming you have good insurance and/or loads of $$$). It's in other more basic areas that it completely misses the boat, despite paying a bigger share of its GDP in healthcare than any other nation.
Agreed, it's not simple. Obviously we're all just talking from personal experience and statistics can me made to say what ever you like. Actually, again just observing what's around me, reading the press and hearing stories from my relatives who are docs, a lot of US poor health outcomes are less the result of poor healthcare system, per se, and more to do with unhealthy lifestyles. I still can't get over the ridiculous food portions here, plus how much people rely on their cars and lead sedentary lifestyles. It seems that the French don't complain about their healthcare system as much as the Brits or Americans, so maybe we can learn from them?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, it's not simple. Obviously we're all just talking from personal experience and statistics can me made to say what ever you like. Actually, again just observing what's around me, reading the press and hearing stories from my relatives who are docs, a lot of US poor health outcomes are less the result of poor healthcare system, per se, and more to do with unhealthy lifestyles. I still can't get over the ridiculous food portions here, plus how much people rely on their cars and lead sedentary lifestyles. It seems that the French don't complain about their healthcare system as much as the Brits or Americans, so maybe we can learn from them?

A lot of FEEDBACK i hear from friends over in United States is only the BAD Stories that may hit headlines, if you have a serious condition you will go in for surgery straight away. If i was treated the way my Fiance' was treated i would rather be treated on NHS in UK.
Unless you have been somewhere else to compare you will not know!

I am asked how long does it take to visit a doctor in the UK?

If you wish to go to your local health centre / clinic you can see a doctor following morning, but may not be the one you wish!
If you wish to see your same doctor as always he may be booked and may have to wait a week.

suprised by friends pharamcists in USA as it is not what they tend to read in newspapers!

Last edited by cliff1961; Feb 7th 2011 at 7:55 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think American survival rates are all that higher, they don't take into count the number of un insured who don't seek out tests treat themselves with OTC meds only for a very long time and finally turn up in emergency rooms and don't survive the cancers they have, chances are they never see an oncologist as they can't afford too. So I doubt highly they get counted.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Is there anyone who has regret moving to united States ?

What are your reasons of regret?
I do and I don't. Been here 13 years met some great people and had some great experiences but if I'd known then what I know now I'd have stayed put and visited a bunch.

I'm from Jersey ( Channel Islands ) so I was a lot better off, financially, there than I am living here, the UK taxes, laws etc don't effect Jersey. Also as many have said I've missed out on family time, watching my nephews growing up and as my parents age ( mid 70's) I regret all the time I've missed spending with them.

As I age I worry about health care and the escalating cost and the attitude to the elderly in the part of the US I live concerns me.

Last edited by Englishman43; Feb 9th 2011 at 3:29 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

sean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant future

I don't regret my decision at all to move to the US and if I had my way, I wouldn't move back to the UK. Yes I miss my family, friends, Leeds, Leeds United, Lytham St.Annes, a decent pint of Guiness / boddies and a decent curry but I love it over here despite all the misfortune that has hit my wife, kids and I. Ironically, it is my American wife that is pushing to move to the UK and not me.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:00 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Is there anyone who has regret moving to united States ?

What are your reasons of regret?
Moved to US in 1991 married 1992 in Kentucky, moved to Florida later that year spent 16years in Florida then decided to try our luck in the UK, left Florida September 2008 arrived in sunny Manchester!!! Tried for 18months to make a go of it, but financially it was not working, my husbands proffession (a heavy equipment mechanic) did not pay at the same level it does in the states and the lack of jobs in the UK was also a factor,with regret we are now here in Virginia-husbands family prompted us to try it here!!!-we are looking to move back to Florida sometime this year. Its been an adventure but my heart is still in the UK, and always will be. My husband is a southern boy from West Virginia but much preferred the UK. Such is life!!!!! But we are not giving up yet. U.S $400.00 a month for health Insurance. Spring hall clinic, Halifax, Yorkshire. ZERO

Last edited by anne55; Feb 9th 2011 at 4:14 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all

I hate America so bad. My wife is American and we moved here because her father was very ill and she wanted to look after him till he got better, well 3 years later and he passed away last summer. So now we are stuck here with no family at all and i have no friends.

Ever since we came here it has been a constant uphill struggle. I am from Northern Ireland. People never knew what I was saying, ok fine I have an accent, I get that. but i find Americans to be very very rude and obnoxious towards others. We can go out and as soon as people hear my accent they blank me and just talk to my wife. I have been told i wont get a job in this area because " Im not from here ". I have been asked if i have a green card and if i pay taxes by total strangers. I have had many times where people spat out comments about the IRA to me. I could go on and on. I regret it everyday. I apply for jobs and dont even get a reply at all. Yet others who apply for the same job get a reply. I was even in the US Army and was the constant butt of jokes from officers and others. I hate this place. Americans are so dumb also. The government people asked my wife if her British wedding certificate was in English. I have met people who honestly thought London was in France. They are so uneducated. Not all Americans are this way, i have met some very very smart people. The average American is dumb. I just had to rant.

We are leaving here for the UK in May. Thank god.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmattE
I hate America so bad. My wife is American and we moved here because her father was very ill and she wanted to look after him till he got better, well 3 years later and he passed away last summer. So now we are stuck here with no family at all and i have no friends.

Ever since we came here it has been a constant uphill struggle. I am from Northern Ireland. People never knew what I was saying, ok fine I have an accent, I get that. but i find Americans to be very very rude and obnoxious towards others. We can go out and as soon as people hear my accent they blank me and just talk to my wife. I have been told i wont get a job in this area because " Im not from here ". I have been asked if i have a green card and if i pay taxes by total strangers. I have had many times where people spat out comments about the IRA to me. I could go on and on. I regret it everyday. I apply for jobs and dont even get a reply at all. Yet others who apply for the same job get a reply. I was even in the US Army and was the constant butt of jokes from officers and others. I hate this place. Americans are so dumb also. The government people asked my wife if her British wedding certificate was in English. I have met people who honestly thought London was in France. They are so uneducated. Not all Americans are this way, i have met some very very smart people. The average American is dumb. I just had to rant.

Is this a wind-up? I thought most Americans loved anyone from Ireland/NI?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
Is this a wind-up? I thought most Americans loved anyone from Ireland/NI?
No joke at all. I have experienced extreme racism against me here. I really have. Main reason i got out of the US Army. I live in a small German town in the middle of Minnesota. They do not like " outsiders ".
one comment made to my father in laws friend from a co worker was this " You think he is normal till you hear his accent ".

Ie : Cause I am white I look like a typical American till I speak.

I have had a horrid time in this country. I can not wait to get back to Belfast
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud of

Jeeps, makes me sad reading about your nightmare BigMatt.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 5:47 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigmattE

Got room in your Suitcase for 1 more!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.