Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Originally Posted by Montfan72
That's my sense also, thanks. How was your trip back? Hopefully it helped with the homesickness somewhat...
It was awesome , it did help the homesickness but then when I got back here I wondered why I'd come back . I left my parents whom I'm really getting on well with now, my sister and 3 great nephews who've turned out in to really great young men and a bunch of friends to come back to......??

I've had to tell myself I just have a wierd itch that still must need scratching but it was very hard to come back and I've never felt such a strong pull for home.

But as I said I now know without doubt I will return to the UK at some point and in that regard it's making things A LOT easier here as it's become somewhat of an adventure again as I know for certain it is temporary and not permanent.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats too funny!
Do you have a time line yet or or you winging it?
We still have to wait for Ds#2 to graduate in June, he'll leave for UK in August then we can get ready and sell up.
I'm really looking forward to it all and at the same time I can see some problems that will arise and I'm dreading some of the conflicts that will inevitably come to a head with my Mother and my Dh having to spend extended amounts of time living in her house, good job she has two living rooms, I think we'll pinch one for us and give her privacy in the other.
Totally winging it! We are supposedly going in 5 months, and we haven't even put the house on the market yet, looked into shipping or anything! We have planned a road trip for spring break though!

Our 18 y/o graduates in June too, and then we have to get him settled (even if it's only onto a friends floor!) before we can leave. Shame as I really wanted to be back in time to see that flotilla down the Thames for the Jubilee celebration, and catch the Dickens exhibition at the Museum of London!

So you've finally decided to go back too? I must have missed that! That's fantastic!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

So nice to see some old contributors, happy new year to you all!
I want to say thanks to of you who've moved back with kids, tweens and teens and over 50 for all the helpful advice, it's so helpful and encouraging to to see the good and bad of going 'back'. Keep it coming please!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates
Totally winging it! We are supposedly going in 5 months, and we haven't even put the house on the market yet, looked into shipping or anything! We have planned a road trip for spring break though!

Our 18 y/o graduates in June too, and then we have to get him settled (even if it's only onto a friends floor!) before we can leave. Shame as I really wanted to be back in time to see that flotilla down the Thames for the Jubilee celebration, and catch the Dickens exhibition at the Museum of London!

So you've finally decided to go back too? I must have missed that! That's fantastic!
Am I going to be the only one left over here?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:51 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes you there for good Sal?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Yes you there for good Sal?
Bloody Hell I hope not
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usoruk
Hello all....been awhile but still enjoy looking through the forum...busy..like most of you..running around...doing mostly kids stuff!!

You know, lately I have also been thinking about growing old in this country...it scares me so much...it seems the longer we are here the more my eyes are opened to what the US is all about...healthcare frightens me too. Why did I not see these things in the first 5-10 yrs we were here...could have done something about it then...kids were little...had a bit more money then...and home probably would not have seemed too foreign.

Right now, we are going through the terrible teen stage with our 13 yr old, (plus he is having a very hard time fitting into his new school..not many friends and very shy) to the point that he hates anything British and has started calling me names related to the "redcoats"..ie Lobsterback! He thinks its funny but I am increasingly getting annoyed and realising that the window of opportunity is closing fast. The kids are too Americanised to notice another culture or wanting to adopt another lifestyle. The younger ones are fine about it.

Here in the US all I seem to be doing is chauffering the kids around from one activity to another and endless sleepovers and returning overdue library books!! Thank God we have a bit of a break from soccer til April!
My trips to the stores (or those horrible strip malls) are only for groceries or to pick something up for the children. There is no time (or money) for anything other than that. At least back home...I enjoyed the errands as it was really quite a joy doing them on the walkable pretty high streets and trendy indoor/outdoor shopping centers. I would love to do this with the kids..or would I!!

What do the kids back home do...how do the parents keep them busy, are they taken over by materialism of the US and wanting more and more stuff...mainly tech. stuff? are the parents back home also running around like headless chickens like many of us are here?? Could we fit in back in the UK???
Hello usoruk, I'm glad you popped in to have a few words...

I see you've received some great replies care of Gabby and Englishmum...

You really do have to make plans or you will be stuck and I can see you understand that, I would not let your 13 yr old upset you, instead smile keep your mouth shut and make him think, he knows he is upsetting you and will use it against you, so just keep smiling and never let him or anyone else in the home know why...

Redcoats, The only thing I think about when I hear redcoats is Butlins...

You are right, the kids are getting older and at some point they wont want to go, as if its even their choice, we were all 13 at one time but how much did we really know about life? I must admit I'm amazed by the amount of parents on this forum that seem somewhat threatened by what their kids want, It's OK to love listen and consider them, but for them to make decisions for the whole family is absurd, you cant let them walk all over you or your life wont be worth living, I have in laws with this problem and the kids have turned out awful, the parents are more worried now than they were when their kids were in their teenage years, They should have been a bit more strict sooner than giving in ALL the time and not sticking together as parents...

I say take charge and do what makes you happy, your kids can do what they want when they are old enough to make those decesions, Their chance will come, if they want to emigrate then that is their choice, just don't let them rob you of your choices...

Chauffeuring the kids around sounds demanding, you are not the only one, a few Mums have PMd me saying the same thing, and adding they feel like slaves, I agree with Englishmum, most kids in the UK walk, bike or ride a bus, but I also think the streets of the UK are safer than America, of course that depends where you live, I know I feel safer over there... (At least you can keep your eyes on them)...

England has got pretty much everything that America has minus the Guns, Basketball and American Football, you can even see that on TV, The UK is ahead of this country in some ways, Europe and the UK are early adopters of everything electronic, some of my In laws already have 3D TV, I know Americans don't believe the UK is in front, but that is purely their ignorance or them in denial...

Healthcare should frighten you, it scares the hell out of me, many of us are one sickness away from being broke, Brit's think we are crazy putting up with such a poor and greed based system, of course those here with great coverage think its perfect, they couldn't care less about the millions that suffer...

I do think there is lots of materialism in the U.K., all the kids have phones and X box, they are short of nothing, I do think some people are very much into status and designer items, but I'm sure we have those people here too, I just think the divide between rich and poor is much closer in the UK...

Take Care... Fish
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates
Same here. I think you do have to 'sell' it to teens, in terms of what they're going to gain rather than what they'll miss.
You mean like the 4-5 weeks vacation by law compared to the 1, 2 or 3 weeks if you are lucky...

The average American gets 2 weeks per year, and the UK gets double that, over a 50 yr period thats 2 extra years off with pay, Id call that an awesome benefit...
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
It was awesome , it did help the homesickness but then when I got back here I wondered why I'd come back . I left my parents whom I'm really getting on well with now, my sister and 3 great nephews who've turned out in to really great young men and a bunch of friends to come back to......??

I've had to tell myself I just have a wierd itch that still must need scratching but it was very hard to come back and I've never felt such a strong pull for home.

But as I said I now know without doubt I will return to the UK at some point and in that regard it's making things A LOT easier here as it's become somewhat of an adventure again as I know for certain it is temporary and not permanent.
Good for you...viewing your time here as a temporary adventure instead of a prison sentence must feel healthier. Yet it's so hard to get back on that plane and go back leaving family behind. Were you staying in Hampshire?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello usoruk, I'm glad you popped in to have a few words...

I see you've received some great replies care of Gabby and Englishmum...

You really do have to make plans or you will be stuck and I can see you understand that, I would not let your 13 yr old upset you, instead smile keep your mouth shut and make him think, he knows he is upsetting you and will use it against you, so just keep smiling and never let him or anyone else in the home know why...

Redcoats, The only thing I think about when I hear redcoats is Butlins...

You are right, the kids are getting older and at some point they wont want to go, as if its even their choice, we were all 13 at one time but how much did we really know about life? I must admit I'm amazed by the amount of parents on this forum that seem somewhat threatened by what their kids want, It's OK to love listen and consider them, but for them to make decisions for the whole family is absurd, you cant let them walk all over you or your life wont be worth living, I have in laws with this problem and the kids have turned out awful, the parents are more worried now than they were when their kids were in their teenage years, They should have been a bit more strict sooner than giving in ALL the time and not sticking together as parents...

I say take charge and do what makes you happy, your kids can do what they want when they are old enough to make those decesions, Their chance will come, if they want to emigrate then that is their choice, just don't let them rob you of your choices...

Chauffeuring the kids around sounds demanding, you are not the only one, a few Mums have PMd me saying the same thing, and adding they feel like slaves, I agree with Englishmum, most kids in the UK walk, bike or ride a bus, but I also think the streets of the UK are safer than America, of course that depends where you live, I know I feel safer over there... (At least you can keep your eyes on them)...

England has got pretty much everything that America has minus the Guns, Basketball and American Football, you can even see that on TV, The UK is ahead of this country in some ways, Europe and the UK are early adopters of everything electronic, some of my In laws already have 3D TV, I know Americans don't believe the UK is in front, but that is purely their ignorance or them in denial...

Healthcare should frighten you, it scares the hell out of me, many of us are one sickness away from being broke, Brit's think we are crazy putting up with such a poor and greed based system, of course those here with great coverage think its perfect, they couldn't care less about the millions that suffer...

I do think there is lots of materialism in the U.K., all the kids have phones and X box, they are short of nothing, I do think some people are very much into status and designer items, but I'm sure we have those people here too, I just think the divide between rich and poor is much closer in the UK...

Take Care... Fish

I agree with all that you have explained here...
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Lol, SadinStates,
We`re in the same boat! House not on market yet, just tidying like mad. I keep telling myself that having a tidy house isnt rocket science, some people manage it all the time, but somehow my life`s just not like that!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Amen! When I think back to the life choices I would have made at 13, I shudder to think that my parents would have let me influence them. Of course kids don't want change, but years from now when they are all grown up, they wouldn't want to look back and realize that they're parents had made themselves unhappy on their account.

We only get one life and we have to try to be as happy as possible. The kids can pursue their own dreams once they're old enough.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:24 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Lol, SadinStates,
We`re in the same boat! House not on market yet, just tidying like mad. I keep telling myself that having a tidy house isnt rocket science, some people manage it all the time, but somehow my life`s just not like that!
We had our house on the market for exactly one week before we got an offer and I was so relieved because I was about done with the constant tidying and cleaning! I know that's pathetic and that lots of people stay tidy all the time but I have no idea how they do it and also live a life.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh don't worry, Sal - I'm pretty sure I'm stuck here for the foreseeable as well
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oh don't worry, Sal - I'm pretty sure I'm stuck here for the foreseeable as well
Have you never discussed a move across the pond with your DW Sultan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.