Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
I went to Northern Ireland a few times in the early seventies . My dad was a lorry driver , he used to deliver double glazing of all things I was only about 10 or 11 at the time. A bomb went off not a 1/4 mile from us. I can see why you left around that time, hard to live around. I left Manchester in 78 for, albeit less drastic, but similar hardships.
A bit off topic but you brought up an old memory. He took me all over the country in that lorry.

I hope your move goes well. Are you going back to Ireland ?

I fell in love with Ireland and the people There's a place I could live.
Hopefully so. My children are all grown up and living very happily in New York
I will be going alone as we are planning to divorce. Luckily I have family back there.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

aidenmullins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I am brand new here and thought I'd give my view on this thread!

First off, I moved to the US with my family when I was 10 (I am now 23). We moved to perhaps one of the worst areas of California in terms of overall culture compared to London. While it wasn't the MOST run down of places, it was a horrible little desert town.

I hated it. We lived there for two years and it was honestly the worst two years of my life.

We then moved to Sacramento. It's a ton nicer! I very much enjoy living here.

However, I want to move back to England. Here are the first few reasons:

1. The weather - A lot of people love the sun and heat. I don't. I much prefer the cooler weather. I get very wound up in the heat, and I constantly feel unmotivated and miserable. The cold, rainy weather is much easier for me to live in. I do appreciate a nice warm day now and again, but I want to be able to appreciate it, whereas living in the California summers, I grow to hate it.

2. The food - Apart from Mexican food, the food quality here is awful. Everything tastes overloaded with sugar and chemicals. I remember our first holiday back in England how excited we were to be eating good quality food again. I'm not talking about posh restaurants, etc. I'm talking about as little as a few snacks from Tesco.

3. The football - I love football. It's not the same here. As much as the MLS is stepping up, I miss so greatly going down each week to watch, in my case, Fulham, play. It's also such a cultural identity here. 'Soccer' players here almost are their own ethnicity. And I don't like feeling I 'have' to fit in with them to have a say.

4. Pubs - I love to go to the pub. I've worn out the two local pubs here in Sacramento. And generally they try so hard to be English the true pub atmosphere is lost a little bit.

5. Healthcare - At the moment I am on my mother's healthcare plan (until 26). But there is a lot I put off/we put off because is it hardly covers anything. We have been extremely lucky to have not had anything serious happen to any of us. If it did, I don't know what we'd do.

6. People - People to me here seem a little bit fake. I'm sure this is California, in fact, 100%, because it's known for it. But it still frustrates me.

7. Culture - Overall, I just prefer the English culture. Simple. There is an extremely limited amount of stuff to do here (at least in Sacramento). And I get very bored here. Taking trips to other places is expensive; very far and accommodation isn't really cheap.

What I like about the US:

1. People - While I criticized the integrity a little bit, I must say I prefer the optimism here. It only takes a quick read round this forum to see how pessimistic and negative Brits are. All we do is complain! (And you could even say my post is a perfect example.)

2. Cheaper - While the difference in my experience is not that great, I would say overall it is cheaper here. However, I'm not living in a major city.

3. The ocean - I love the ocean. The glorious sandy beaches are further south, and usually busy, so it's not as 'on your doorstep' as people often fantasize, but it is something I will miss.

I've listed three things. These are three things I feel the UK doesn't have. There are plenty of other areas I love about the US, but I feel I could get in the UK.

So, do I regret moving to the US? Not really. It's been a great experience and it's great to have become a US citizen. I will move back to the UK for at least a year, to see what I prefer.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aidenmullins

First off, I moved to the US with my family when I was 10 (I am now 23). We moved to perhaps one of the worst areas of California in terms of overall culture compared to London. While it wasn't the MOST run down of places, it was a horrible little desert town.

I hated it. We lived there for two years and it was honestly the worst two years of my life.

1. The weather - A lot of people love the sun and heat. I don't. I much prefer the cooler weather. I get very wound up in the heat, and I constantly feel unmotivated and miserable. The cold, rainy weather is much easier for me to live in. I do appreciate a nice warm day now and again, but I want to be able to appreciate it, whereas living in the California summers, I grow to hate it.

2. The food - Apart from Mexican food, the food quality here is awful. Everything tastes overloaded with sugar and chemicals. I remember our first holiday back in England how excited we were to be eating good quality food again. I'm not talking about posh restaurants, etc. I'm talking about as little as a few snacks from Tesco.

3. The football - I love football. It's not the same here. As much as the MLS is stepping up, I miss so greatly going down each week to watch, in my case, Fulham, play. It's also such a cultural identity here. 'Soccer' players here almost are their own ethnicity. And I don't like feeling I 'have' to fit in with them to have a say.

4. Pubs - I love to go to the pub. I've worn out the two local pubs here in Sacramento. And generally they try so hard to be English the true pub atmosphere is lost a little bit.

5. Healthcare - At the moment I am on my mother's healthcare plan (until 26). But there is a lot I put off/we put off because is it hardly covers anything. We have been extremely lucky to have not had anything serious happen to any of us. If it did, I don't know what we'd do.

6. People - People to me here seem a little bit fake. I'm sure this is California, in fact, 100%, because it's known for it. But it still frustrates me.

7. Culture - Overall, I just prefer the English culture. Simple. There is an extremely limited amount of stuff to do here (at least in Sacramento). And I get very bored here. Taking trips to other places is expensive; very far and accommodation isn't really cheap.

1. People - While I criticized the integrity a little bit, I must say I prefer the optimism here. It only takes a quick read round this forum to see how pessimistic and negative Brits are. All we do is complain! (And you could even say my post is a perfect example.)

2. Cheaper - While the difference in my experience is not that great, I would say overall it is cheaper here. However, I'm not living in a major city.

3. The ocean - I love the ocean. The glorious sandy beaches are further south, and usually busy, so it's not as 'on your doorstep' as people often fantasize, but it is something I will miss.

I've listed three things. These are three things I feel the UK doesn't have. There are plenty of other areas I love about the US, but I feel I could get in the UK.

So, do I regret moving to the US? Not really. It's been a great experience and it's great to have become a US citizen. I will move back to the UK for at least a year, to see what I prefer.
So are you planning a move back? Just you or the whole family?
We aren't far from you, east of the Valley South of Jackson. Boring and hot!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 2:40 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to San Francisco might solve a few of the negatives - certainly a lot easier than upping sticks to the UK.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Moving to San Francisco might solve a few of the negatives - certainly a lot easier than upping sticks to the UK.

Certainly solves the boredom, weather, ocean and food problem.

But if you are out for adventure, go to the UK and have fun, you can always come back.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Aiden.

I can see where you are coming from, The UK and USA are different in many ways, there is no way you will find what the UK has to offer in America, many of your above points ring true for me too, I always say follow your gut feeling it usually wont steer you wrong.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Welcome Aiden.

I can see where you are coming from, The UK and USA are different in many ways, there is no way you will find what the UK has to offer in America, many of your above points ring true for me too, I always say follow your gut feeling it usually wont steer you wrong.
Aiden Mullins....you are one smart guy...as young as you are and as you arrived here when you were a kid........you have the observations of a much older person....take your time making a life decision.......I feel you will not make a mistake because your reasoning is smarter than a heart decision,
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:30 am
Just Joined

aidenmullins is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies everyone!

By the way, I have family both in the United States (nearby here in California) and England, but this would be just me moving. (Though my brother and mother who are currently here in states-dad is back in london-are both considering it eventually)

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I agree. And I'm certainly not ruling that out.

But it's not about ease. Like I said, there's the football, there's the people, there's the tradition English culture. I miss it. Perhaps I have a biased opinion because I moved to such a nasty part of California at first, and so it's rose tinted my view of the UK, but I can't know otherwise until I try it. If I don't, I'll always regret it, and if I do, and don't like it, it's really not that hard for me to move back.

Last edited by aidenmullins; Dec 1st 2011 at 4:35 am.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies everyone!

By the way, I have family both in the United States (nearby here in California) and England, but this would be just me moving. (Though my brother and mother who are currently here in states-dad is back in london-are both considering it eventually)

I agree. And I'm certainly not ruling that out.

But it's not about ease. Like I said, there's the football, there's the people, there's the tradition English culture. I miss it. Perhaps I have a biased opinion because I moved to such a nasty part of California at first, and so it's rose tinted my view of the UK, but I can't know otherwise until I try it. If I don't, I'll always regret it, and if I do, and don't like it, it's really not that hard for me to move back.
Aiden, you are pretty sharp for a young guy as Celtic said, many people double your age still don't know what they want out of life.

I don't think moving a few miles north or even to another state would really sort out the more important issues you have, Attitude and the way Americans are treated and how they treat others has to factor in to these decisions, also consider the murder rate.

I think its crucial you try the UK before its too late, you need to know which country you want to live in before you settle down with someone.

The American people are getting a raw deal in my eyes, much of it because of the propaganda so many buy into, there is a massive political division in this country, it didn't use to be this way, Healthcare or the lack of it is a major issue, the fact that we have to buy it versus it being a right is a problem for me, it just plays into the greed and superior attitude of some people, we also have far too many poor people for a country that is so wealthy.

Add in vacation time you get by law in the UK versus America and you've got a lot to consider.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Aiden, your views, especially re quality of life are really well balanced and you show maturity beyond your years as well as expressing yourself really well. How good that you can try both countries and then make up your mind. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

karenmillvalley is an unknown quantity at this point

I have spent a decade now in the USA....in NJ, then CA (San Diego and Bay Area). I have totally mixed feelings. I wanted to move home so many times over the years, but we stayed. Now we have a 19 year old who does not want to leave CA...and a 9 and 7 year old born here who only know USA. I have come to a realisation (post ex pat curse) that we would not have changed the experiences and vastly diverse people we have met. My mind is much more open. My whole family have dual citizenship and I think that will translate into a valuable commodity for my kids in the future. We have paid a price financially with housing that did not do well and we have paid emotionally and continue to worry about parents ageing and back home. Beyond that, the Media here drive me crazy and certainly in CA the craziness of the way people think (materialism gone wild!) borders on complete madness....its nice to go home and hear sensible talk!

We are trying to find a half way house for now. We have sold our home in CA luckily...we are solid renters! We are moving back East this summer and will be able to get back to UK so much more easily and often. We are also planning to buy a small home in the UK in the next year or two, knowing we will want a home there one day and knowing that the medical situation is better than USA. So, we will continue to straddle both countries and see what happens.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:04 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenmillvalley
I have spent a decade now in the USA....in NJ, then CA (San Diego and Bay Area). I have totally mixed feelings. I wanted to move home so many times over the years, but we stayed. Now we have a 19 year old who does not want to leave CA...and a 9 and 7 year old born here who only know USA. I have come to a realisation (post ex pat curse) that we would not have changed the experiences and vastly diverse people we have met. My mind is much more open. My whole family have dual citizenship and I think that will translate into a valuable commodity for my kids in the future. We have paid a price financially with housing that did not do well and we have paid emotionally and continue to worry about parents ageing and back home. Beyond that, the Media here drive me crazy and certainly in CA the craziness of the way people think (materialism gone wild!) borders on complete madness....its nice to go home and hear sensible talk!

We are trying to find a half way house for now. We have sold our home in CA luckily...we are solid renters! We are moving back East this summer and will be able to get back to UK so much more easily and often. We are also planning to buy a small home in the UK in the next year or two, knowing we will want a home there one day and knowing that the medical situation is better than USA. So, we will continue to straddle both countries and see what happens.
Good luck to you. The straddling 2 countries is probably a little more difficult than you think, but perhaps it's a good transition to prepare for a move back to the UK.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Karen...

Great post...

I think its a difficult decision you have to make, and time in my opinion is of the essence, it really depends how close you are to your kids now and 10-20 yrs from now, if you want to stay close to your children and don't move back soon I doubt you ever will, once your children get married and have children of their own you may not be able to leave the USA, its that simple...

I have a sister with kids and grand kids, she'd love to move back but cant, she is so attached to her family, so its a constant push pull situation, I have no doubt she will stay here forever...

Like you I live on the west coast and the UK is such a trek, I've considered moving to the east coast many times and every time I think to myself why not just go the extra mile and move to the UK, that's what I want after all.

You bring up the medical situation and I certainly agree, the people in the UK never have that worry, good care is available here but at what cost for some...

I think the dual citizenship is good for you as you know all about the UK, but to your kids it may be just a piece of paper...

The Media drives us all crazy, its just so focused on telling us how lucky we are to live here and how free we are compared to the rest of the world, I don't hate America, far from it, but I don't think its a good idea to brainwash everyone...

I've been here 36 years and still I feel like a guest and want to return home, for some of us that feeling never goes away...

I think money plays a big part in many peoples decisions to stay or go, if you are poor its no fun living in either place, but of course you do get healthcare coverage in the UK, who knows what will happen to the American system...

I wish you well...
Fish...
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

karenmillvalley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hi Karen...

Great post...

I think its a difficult decision you have to make, and time in my opinion is of the essence, it really depends how close you are to your kids now and 10-20 yrs from now, if you want to stay close to your children and don't move back soon I doubt you ever will, once your children get married and have children of their own you may not be able to leave the USA, its that simple...

I have a sister with kids and grand kids, she'd love to move back but cant, she is so attached to her family, so its a constant push pull situation, I have no doubt she will stay here forever...

Like you I live on the west coast and the UK is such a trek, I've considered moving to the east coast many times and every time I think to myself why not just go the extra mile and move to the UK, that's what I want after all.

You bring up the medical situation and I certainly agree, the people in the UK never have that worry, good care is available here but at what cost for some...

I think the dual citizenship is good for you as you know all about the UK, but to your kids it may be just a piece of paper...

The Media drives us all crazy, its just so focused on telling us how lucky we are to live here and how free we are compared to the rest of the world, I don't hate America, far from it, but I don't think its a good idea to brainwash everyone...

I've been here 36 years and still I feel like a guest and want to return home, for some of us that feeling never goes away...

I think money plays a big part in many peoples decisions to stay or go, if you are poor its no fun living in either place, but of course you do get healthcare coverage in the UK, who knows what will happen to the American system...

I wish you well...
Fish...
Thanks Fish

Thanks for your input and this forum is so great....wish I had found it 10 years ago!!. I am with you...I will always feel like a guest here. I never had a huge affinity to the USA before we came here. Still here we are for now and the foreseeable future, except for summers which we will spend in the UK so I can get my fix and hopefully open up my kids minds to other places.....Best wishes to you.
Karen
Old Jan 21st 2012, 1:09 am
Just Joined

MMortara is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Fish

Thanks for your input and this forum is so great....wish I had found it 10 years ago!!. I am with you...I will always feel like a guest here. I never had a huge affinity to the USA before we came here. Still here we are for now and the foreseeable future, except for summers which we will spend in the UK so I can get my fix and hopefully open up my kids minds to other places.....Best wishes to you.
Karen
Hi

I have spent the last 30 mins reading through some of these posts. I moved to the East Bay 3 months ago so I am a real newby. My husband was offered relocation with his job. We decided to go for it, life too short that sort of thing. We have a daughter of 6 in 1st grade and she is really happy. I do have moments of panic and think what have we done.
Nowhere is perfct. There are things I love. Weather, better service, happier people (except the miserable cow in the DVLA office), positivity. I miss my friends, nights out as family available to babysit, family gatherings. So far, nothing else about the UK just yet. I know I will miss cream teas at some point !
In my heart I cannot imagine living here for life. But perhaps it is too early to worry. My husband is keen to stay. So in 2 or 3 years we may hit a road block ! I worry a bit about my daughter fitting back into the UK education system but if we do go back before she is 10 or 11 think she would be OK. So for now I try to make the most of the opportunity and will put the decision on the back burner. Michelle x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.