Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Jul 30th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Christmas in the US sucks - it's all about shopping, shopping, shopping and then it's over in one day and on the 26th (our Boxing Day) the trees are outside with the trash - how sad is that?
So very true, and we are all back to work, its July and even now they are selling us stuff for Christmas, what a laugh.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

The one other thing that gets me about Xmas in the US is the queues at the stores to return unwanted presents on the 26th - they are so cut throat about it...it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of Christmas really does it?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
The one other thing that gets me about Xmas in the US is the queues at the stores to return unwanted presents on the 26th - they are so cut throat about it...it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of Christmas really does it?
No - it's really bad. My daughter had a holiday job in retail when she was in college. They put her on returns on the day after Christmas - she had to start at 6 am!!! She said it was horrible - people were so mean!!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

D.K.B.63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with your comments about Christmas over here.

I also love seeing the English streets and lights as you come into land.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not even Christmas in the US, it's 'The Holidays,' with Holiday trees, Holiday dinners, Holiday cards and Holiday parties. Remember that woman from National Public Radio Nina Tottenberg who apoligised for using the word Christmas in relation to a party (she actually said '..I was at, if you'll excuse the expression, a Christmas party...')
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
It's not even Christmas in the US, it's 'The Holidays,' with Holiday trees, Holiday dinners, Holiday cards and Holiday parties. Remember that woman from National Public Radio Nina Tottenberg who apoligised for using the word Christmas in relation to a party (she actually said '..I was at, if you'll excuse the expression, a Christmas party...')
Why do they even call it a holiday? It's Crappy Boring Day over here.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:29 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Humbug, Sally?

(I'm not mocking you, only I learnt long ago, one rather has to make it Christmas over here ...
... even if only for oneself).
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
That crap just gets up my backside, its like cards that say Seasons Greetings...
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Very true, for many its a sad lonely day as they have no friends...

Plus people spend like crazy getting into even more debt for gifts that people dont even want or need...
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christian
http://www.candy-licious.net/product..._50426_std.jpg

Humbug, Sally?

(I'm not mocking you, only I learnt long ago, one rather has to make it Christmas over here ...
... even if only for oneself).
Call me Ebenezer
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
To be fair, I worked retail in my early years in the UK and hated Boxing Day because all anyone wanted to do was return things. I don't think it's any different.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
To be fair, I worked retail in my early years in the UK and hated Boxing Day because all anyone wanted to do was return things. I don't think it's any different.
I worked 16 years in American grocery retail, we had no boxing day returns but we had inventory on boxing day, so we had to work at Midnight on Chritmas day, of course that meant I was in bed trying for a bit of sleep on Christmas day, Parties what parties, at least not for me.

My relatives in the UK always had a week off, its always bugged me, Christmas in the UK was always better then here, theres no comparison.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:57 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

My relatives in the UK always had a week off, its always bugged me, Christmas in the UK was always better then here, theres no comparison.
They didn't work in retail though. I did for years and we only got one day off for Christmas. It sucked!
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

So very true, and we are all back to work, its July and even now they are selling us stuff for Christmas, what a laugh.
Hard to believe but sadly true......just go to BBC News website and you will see that Harrods and Selfridges started their Christmas displays 29th July!!!!!
Old Jul 31st 2011, 4:59 am
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Nyz, Maybe you are crap, just kidding, many of us are in the same boat, My best year was 93, its been downhill since then.
Oh you made me LOL!

I'm sorry to hear that it's been downhill for you since 1993, I wish you well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.